Random

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know exactly what happened with the bow in the table. I did something similar once making a very nice yard sign with our last name and house numbers on it. I used 2 by's planed, jointed and glued together to assemble it. Then routed out everything to a depth of about one inch deep, but the house numbers and name and a border around the entire sign so they appeared raised. Then I used a wood gouge to take chunks out of the base wood to give the appearance that it was hand cared that way. Absolutely looked amazing...UNTIL the difference in moisture in the wood took over. It arched in the middle because that is when the wood was the thinnest. I didn't figure on that and should have used a backer of plywood to keep it flat and straight. Lesson learned... Seems you did basically the same with your cut out sections as well. The wood arched the same because your cut sections out...

southkogs

Staff member
I was originally planning on two pours: Glow in the dark, and then the total flood. BUT, the volume of the glass didn't fill quite the way I anticipated, and I adjusted on the fly (another lesson learned). So, my volumes were off now, and I had also made the problem of not being able to dam the flood with my wood form. So, I poured in stages. I was trying to level the resin on the edges of the lake in my second pour, and then the third was to complete the table.

If I had done the form properly / better, then I could have done it one flood after the glow flood. Lesson learned.

Good thoughts GM. I still have one more I'd like to try when I find the right piece of wood.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
southkogs, wood is so unpredictable sometimes. When you think you have everything covered, then the wood takes over and shows who really is boss.

I can always tell when the humidity is low, the end table my son built in shop class, many decades ago now, opens up a fairly large crack down the middle of the end table. And that is because he must have used a couple pounds of wood screws to hold the top on the base. And he didn't allow for any method to expand and contract without effecting the top. So dry weather, large crack, more humidity, the crack seals itself so you can't find that crack anywhere. Amazing how much the wood expands when wet and contracts when dry. You just wouldn't think it could move that much!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
An old contractor once told me that- if you find a straight piece of wood, it just hasn't made up it's mind yet.

So right. I always said that WOOD is one of the hardest materials to build with, and here is my reason. When you are building with metal and make a mistake, you either cut some off or weld on a piece and carry on. When you are working with fiberglass, you either grind it down or mix up more resin and add to it. But when you are working with wood, if to cut it too short, you get to make a new one... :eek:

I work with all those materials and love the challenges each type offers too...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Today the wife and I were watching some older TV series that were worth watching compared to the "new" material they are showing these days. And the subject of the six-million dollar man can up. And I said with increase in medical care today, a six-million dollar operation would be someone having their tonsils removed. Wonder how much the six-million dollar man would cost these days?

dwco5051

Commander
So right. I always said that WOOD is one of the hardest materials to build with, and here is my reason. When you are building with metal and make a mistake, you either cut some off or weld on a piece and carry on. When you are working with fiberglass, you either grind it down or mix up more resin and add to it. But when you are working with wood, if to cut it too short, you get to make a new one... :eek:

I work with all those materials and love the challenges each type offers too...

Just add a dutchman, grind, and then the quarter inch black paint. Any body can make "good looking" welds.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Today the wife and I were watching some older TV series that were worth watching compared to the "new" material they are showing these days. And the subject of the six-million dollar man can up. And I said with increase in medical care today, a six-million dollar operation would be someone having their tonsils removed. Wonder how much the six-million dollar man would cost these days?

I started to do the math, then got to thinking about actual cost given technology improments since then - not just raw dollars of inflation.

so:

https://www.foxnews.com/science/whats-the-6-million-dollar-man-worth-today

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
X8j0mWG.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I started to do the math, then got to thinking about actual cost given technology improments since then - not just raw dollars of inflation.

so:

https://www.foxnews.com/science/whats-the-6-million-dollar-man-worth-today

Interesting article for sure. I guess $6 million dollars can buy quite new tech abilities these days. Not a $6 million dollar man capabilities, but not too shabby either. Just think in the next 100 years what technology we will have. None of us will ever know about it, but it will be quite interesting in comparison to today's capabilities.

A guy I once worked with stated that the next 100 years will have nothing new happening. And I say, you are wrong, You can't even imagine what new technologies we will have because you can't think of such things you never thought about yet. In other words, we don't know what we don't know!

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Interesting article for sure. I guess $6 million dollars can buy quite new tech abilities these days. Not a $6 million dollar man capabilities, but not too shabby either. Just think in the next 100 years what technology we will have. None of us will ever know about it, but it will be quite interesting in comparison to today's capabilities.

A guy I once worked with stated that the next 100 years will have nothing new happening. And I say, you are wrong, You can't even imagine what new technologies we will have because you can't think of such things you never thought about yet. In other words, we don't know what we don't know!

All inventions and technology are built on others' inventions and technology. Geniuses don't live in a vacuum.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If a person knew what was going to be invented in the future, it would have already been invented... JMHO

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I always wondered, why do they call psychic people "mediums" when most are large or extra-large?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It's always asked everywhere, "is over powering my old half rotten boat a problem?"

Answer should be YES... but oh no the know it all's pop up with "no problem, I got a xxx on a xxx just send it!"

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It's always asked everywhere, "is over powering my old half rotten boat a problem?"

Answer should be YES... but oh no the know it all's pop up with "no problem, I got a xxx on a xxx just send it!"

That's when you hope the flotation works...

dwco5051

Commander
Was going to get one of these for my truck hitch to deter tailgaters. Then I realized that only 5% of the population would understand it and they probably don't ride my bumper anyway.

hitch coverf.jpg