Random

dwco5051

Commander
Soon after the casualty in the gun mount the Iowa was tied up on the pier right opposite the tender I was on at the time. We had a high hatch that opened down which made a nice platform to stand on to have a smoke or just get some fresh air after a night at the CPO club dancing with the fat girls. Looking down there must have been twenty inspectors of some kind or other in white coveralls walking around the gun turret. They were only about forty feet or so from where we were standing. The middle gun was fully depressed and the next thing I notice is one of the white suited guys standing in front of the gun looking down the bore and his head was halfway inside that 16” opening. I remarked to the guys I was standing with that I would love to have a big paper bag right now to blow it up and pop it just to see his reaction.

dwco5051

Commander
The engine rooms are where I find the most fascination. I find it really hard to understand all the components. But one time when visiting Patriot's point, we happened to be in the engine room on the USS Laffey (DD-724) and one of the fellas who was visiting was one of the old engineers who served on board. 40+ years later, he knew every knob, button and valve down there. It was amazing to listen to him.

Back in those days there was no such thing as automated systems in the boiler room. Each boiler had multiple burners and the burnerman had to manually turn on and off the burners individually to follow the load. He had to watch the steam pressure gauge to maintain the proper boiler pressure and also keep an eye on the annunciator to see if the bridge was calling for a change in ships speed. The blowerman had to coordinate the forced draft blowers to maintain the proper amount of combustion air. You also had a checkman who’s only job was to watch the water level and supply feed water at the proper rate when needed. They had to work in a close harmony that would put the Andrew Sisters to shame.

I wonder today how many young men in their late teens or early twenties could be trusted to do that work without a keyboard and a screen to guide them.

alldodge

Staff member
I know Tom Doran and have worked with him several times over the years at NOSL (Naval Ordnance Station Louisville). NOSL is where the gun system engineers where at and they where called in during the last investigation. The lead from NOSL once done, framed the Time magazine cover of Hartwig and placed it so he would see it from his desk every day. He wanted to remember what the Navy tried to do to a good sailor.

Another good thing is if you go to Time magazine and try to find the cover, its no longer available, a great thing by Time

southkogs

Staff member
I remarked to the guys I was standing with that I would love to have a big paper bag right now to blow it up and pop it just to see his reaction.
... if it was me, that suit wouldn't have been white anymore :)

Interesting stuff guys. I've been completely lost down the rabbit hole of searching Iowa stuff on the net. Dunno' I'll get to LA anytime soon to see her, but it'll probably make me go back down to the Alabama sometime. MANY years ago I was visiting New York and took the ferry out to see the Statue of Liberty. On one portion of the ride - I was too young and dumb to have been paying attention to where we were or what direction I was facing - we saw the New Jersey steaming along (dunno' if it was in or out). I wish I had realized at the time what a unique sight that really was.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hate to change directions, but if you guys want to see some very good engineers that can not only design but also fabricate lots of metal fabricated items for a car, check out Project Binky on youtube. Two guys are rebuilding an old Mini to new everything. And their humor is amazing as well. If you want to see a funny but extremely interesting project, give them a check out! I really think you will enjoy it. JMHO

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Our oldest, Mildred

5WmkiJ6.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Finished product; made a table for the twins first birthday in a couple weeks. Has chalkboard top, white seats with grey primer underneath so when I distressed the finish it shows thru as well as some wood – mom loves stuff that looks ‘pinteresty’. ~$60 total with paint. You can buy on amazon unfinished for about the same but I like to choose my own wood quality. Also made it 6” longer than the below plans as the parents are not small people and I’m assuming the kids will not be either plus when they have a play date they will need three seats at a minimum being twins and all.

zDPkevT.jpg