Random

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Those pics are the St Johns river down in Welaka Fl just north of Lake George ..
I boat further north around the mouth of the SJ .. ICW at Ft George Inlet /river and Nassau Sounds ..
Id give ya the whole crew if it were up to me ! Well except for the blond lab .. But unfortunately my wife and daughter would take exception to that ..LOL!!
‘Those pups get treated better than I do ! :lol:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have the pic somewhere around here. It was on the sign outside the Anglican Church down the street from where I grew up. It was in the middle of a brutally hot summer it said;

COME INSIDE FOR SOME REAL SON PROTECTION

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Lake Michigan alligator found...

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdo...cmp=ob_article_sidebar_video&intcmp=obnetwork

IL-Alligator-Lake-Michigan.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok is that something you would normally see in Lake Michigan ?
Minus the tape of coarse ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
It would be cool if it was, must be someones pet they released. Lake is way too cold to sustain that kind of life...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've heard people being trolled behind a boat for alligator bait, but never alligators being trolled for people bait. Learn something new everyday.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Every year my wife and I wear santa hats, at home and when running errands. I was one upped at Home Depot today.

95hzRCa.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

Been on board that beast a couple times. I like touring the Alabama a little more 'cuz you can get to more spaces, but the Wisconsin had her rear turret converted for missiles which was pretty wild.

alldodge

Staff member
Have not been on her but was on BB63 Missouri. Always loved the battle ships because they were the true meaning of urban renewal and did pretty well at fire support. It was decided we no longer do amphibious landings and the amount of man power it took to run one of them was high.

The DDG1000 are about the same size but don't expect much from them.

southkogs

Staff member
First time I was aboard the Alabama, I happened to be touring it with a friend who had served some on the Iowa. He knew the boat inside and out - even showed me roughly what happened when the number two barbette blew up in '89. Fascinating stuff. Crawling around the turret for the 16s was really impressive - the amount of raw power that was in just one barrel was mind boggling. The breech on the crazy thing is insane.

The engine rooms are where I find the most fascination. I find it really hard to understand all the components. But one time when visiting Patriot's point, we happened to be in the engine room on the USS Laffey (DD-724) and one of the fellas who was visiting was one of the old engineers who served on board. 40+ years later, he knew every knob, button and valve down there. It was amazing to listen to him.

alldodge

Staff member
Have always liked listening to the old salts, always have a wealth of info and history.

There are not many folks who actually know what happened on the Iowa, and it was not caused by Hartwig. It was a shame for the Navy to try and blame it on him, and Wiki does not tell the whole story

southkogs

Staff member
The more recent wiki update gives a little more of the story of the investigation. But, that wasn't something I was real hung on ... in fact, the friend who was explaining it all did so from the standpoint that it was an accident that had several potential causes.

The thing that was amazing to me was that the barbette apparently raised a full eight feet or better off it's normal resting place. When you're standing there assessing all of the metal : it's unreal.