Random

southkogs

Staff member
One of my favorite stories to tell right now is that coming down the stairs a few months ago, I heard one of 'em creak. The staircase hadn't been creaking, so I noticed it and wanted to figure out which step it was. I wind up going up and down the staircase about three times; not able to figure out which step is creaking ...

... 'cuz it was my knees I was hearing. :oops:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
One of my favorite stories to tell right now is that coming down the stairs a few months ago, I heard one of 'em creak. The staircase hadn't been creaking, so I noticed it and wanted to figure out which step it was. I wind up going up and down the staircase about three times; not able to figure out which step is creaking ...

... 'cuz it was my knees I was hearing. :oops:
blew coffee on the keyboard

dwco5051

Commander
Yeah, but have you ever argued with the person in the mirror... Not saying I have...but I'll leave it at that!
I don't even look at the person in the mirror. It is the image of some old white haired guy that doesn't even look like me some how on it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I don't even look at the person in the mirror. It is the image of some old white haired guy that doesn't even look like me some how on it.
i quit that in my 30's too ugly. I shave and brush my teeth in the shower, no mirrors allowed.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Hahaha! Not far off, bud. 20 more years and you'll be where I am and you'll know what old is all about. Hah! You'll be sitting there wondering "Why does all this stuff hurt that didn't use to?" Hah!
my s..t started hurting in my 40's. I'm scared what it will be if I make it to my 60's and beyond.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
20 years working wild land fire in 10 states and Canada, for that I have all kinds of aches sounds like popcorn when I walk down stairs, Hips, back, shoulders. I don't need an alarm I wake up when my back hurts.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
20 years working wild land fire in 10 states and Canada, for that I have all kinds of aches sounds like popcorn when I walk down stairs, Hips, back, shoulders. I don't need an alarm I wake up when my back hurts.
I can remember back in my teens (WOW that was a long, long time ago) how I used to look at older folks and think to myself, I am never going to let myself go like that when I get older. Surprise, surprise, no one lets themselves get like that. It happens all by itself. A lesson young people just don't know or understand yet. Our bodies are just built for only so long. And the break down creeps up on us and strikes, a little at a time, but strikes none the less! Don't ask me how I know...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So had a conversation the other day.....
Zach: technology today is so much better
me: how so?
Zach: I mean, who has time to play CD's or rewind VHS, everything is digital and on my phone
me: you dont use your phone to make calls
Zach: that is what texting is for
me: cant wait to get the phonograph back up to listen to vinyl records. May actually buy a tube amp because of the reduced distortion
Zack: what do you mean distortion
me: exactly
I may be an analog person in a digital world, however I can rebuild my motor, build a car, make cabinets, fix anything, and I wont ever panic if the power goes out.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Age is a meaningless number unless you buy into the theory and allow yourself to get old.

At 60, I lost #40 and got back into shape. Traded beers for White Claws and bourbon. Reduced my intake of carbs and sugar which brought my elevated A1C levels back to normal.

At 64, I have some residual nerve pain now and then from a emergency ACDF performed two years ago, but generally speaking I’m in better health now than I was in my 50’s. Knock on wood

The worst part of getting old is loosing your friends. Not to death, but to lack of physical ability. Find myself running around with people 10 years my senior a lot of the time

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Age is a meaningless number unless you buy into the theory and allow yourself to get old.
true words.

great grandad said on his 100th birthday when he was asked if he feels 100. "well.... I wake up at 160, eat at 90, go to bed at 16. how old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

Blorton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
@dingbat Yes! Exactly what you said.

I've got two words for people that believe aging defeats us: Jack Lalanne

Yes, he was a nutball, but his accomplishments and mindset are something we as a society should really be paying attention to. Not to soapbox, but sensible diet and activity choices are everything.

In my early forties, I got disgusted at how everyday tasks would wipe me out and "got religion". I started doing P90X and just paying attention to what I ate. Not going completely into eating like a rabbit all the time, but just being mindful. More than a decade later, I'm still making fitness and smart choices a priority and my quality of life is much greater than it was before. My doctors are always amazed at my numbers at the annual checkup and I am deadset(heh) on enjoying the hell out of this one ride we get and not rotting away in some home when I get older.