USMC Boot Camp - My son is almost finished. :-)

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
He is several hours into "The Crucible." The final large exercise, field test that they have to go through. Since April 1st, we have gotten to speak with him for a total of 2 min 48 seconds. That was just to clarify travel plans for his graduation. There is also a video trailer that shows his platoon, and scans the faces. We were able to snag a screen shot of him from there.
The wife and I are very proud of him. I can't wait to see him in uniform. We fly out this Friday for 2 days in Vegas, a day at the Grand Canyon Skywalk, a day sight seeing in San Diego, then the Meet and Greet with the DIs, Thursday is family day where he gets base liberty, and Friday the 28th he will graduate. He knows what his MOS will be, but we don't yet. I know he said Battle Field Equipment repair. Basically, heavy equipment mechanic.

One proud papa!
AK Chappy

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: USMC Boot Camp - My son is almost finished. :)

Congratulations to him!

So how's his Dad's retirement going ;) Good to see you!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Thanks Bob. I am loving being retired. I started a new career in IT. I now work for a school district. It is weird being told to go home after 8 hours. LOL. He has really impressed me. EVERY letter has stated that WHEN he graduates on the 28th. Not IF. He has really been focused on that date. 13 weeks is a long time. We are members of some Facebook groups with other families in the same time frame from multiple platoons. Some of their sons have had medical issues and had to go to the Rehab platoon to graduate at a later date. I do think he is going to sleep for two days once he gets home for his 10 day leave though. :)

grat's to you and your son. my sons 9 days in so we haven't even got the first letter yet.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Get ready to be called "Sir", not "Dad". Marines are really good at being courteous.

Congratulations on his graduation. The rest of his life will be downhill after going through 13 weeks of Marine "training."

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Grandson started Navy boot camp this week. His Dad is a former Marine, if there is any such thing. He is the eighth generation to serve. Granpa is soooo proud. :)

NYBo

Admiral

Congratulations, and welcome to the Marine parent club!

Get ready to be called "Sir", not "Dad". Marines are really good at being courteous.
Ain't that the truth! Another truth, in my own experience as well: A friend of mine, who had two sons go through Parris Island, said to me, "I had them for 18 years, and the Marine Corps fixed them in 13 weeks!"

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations. You won't believe the change in him. He'll be walking tall. He'll make his bed & you'll be able to bounce a quarter off of it. Don't be surprised if he refolds all the towels in the house that aren't exactly 5 1/2" wide.

Semper Fi

Tom B.
(LongLine)

boat_beginner

Seaman

I never had a child in the military (not yet anyway, oldest is 4yo lol), but anyway, I remember being in his shoes 9 years ago. Boy the memories. Boot camp really will change him, I had a whole new look at life after boot camp and a few other experiences in the Marine Corps.
You should be damn proud of him, because I guarantee he will be.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations to him and you for raising him. And I will thank him in advance for choosing to serve his country in the perilous times.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Thank you everyone. Tomorrow morning is when they will be doing the climb up Mt Reaper and get their Eagle, Globe, and Anchor at the top. In support of that my wife and I will be climbing "The Butte." It is a mile long trail with an 850 ft elevation change. Our goal is to be at the top at about the same time they should be finishing their climb. We have a picture of our son with the USMC seal and will snap a picture of us holding that. :) We didn't plan this before he left, so he will have no idea we are doing it. I am very proud of him for choosing to serve his country. I am truly looking forward to seeing the change in him.
NYBo, I love that quote!! How fitting.

Again, thank you everyone.
AK Chappy

southkogs

Staff member

Oorah!

Congrats to you and him, Chappy.

angus63

Captain

Congrats Chappy and my best wishes and sincere thanks! My boy made Sgt a few weeks back in his JROTC program. Youngest to make Sgt in the school program history. Ceremony is tonight.20130621_165747 (480x640).jpg