Anyone ever have to have a second hip replacment?

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
By the luck of the draw I was born with bad hips, after 20+ yrs of being an auto tech I had the left one replaced 2 months before my 39th b'day.

Now the little plastic microscopic particles that have been wearing off for the last 16 yrs are causing issues.
June 24th I'm going in for what is hopefully going to be a little "tune-up". :blue:

Anyone ever have to to through this?

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Anyone ever have to have a second hip replacment?

Not a problem I have to deal with, but there are some tv ambulance chasers (class action lawyers) that would like to talk to you.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Well I wish they could just put a new joint in my hip and make it all better, but after being shot in the hip by an AK round many years ago, not much more they can do with me. However I have had a couple of friends that have had to have their joints replace more than once, we have a guy that I work with, that is going through a double hip replacement right now, they just did his right and in a couple of weeks are going to do his left, saw him on Thursday and he is doing great.

bassman284

Commander

Actually from what I understand, 15 to 20 years is the life of these things, depending on how hard you use them. A young guy like swabber is going to use them harder than somebody in their 80s. You're putting wear and tear on a body part that can't grow new cells. In reality, a majority of people who get joint replacements don't live long enough to wear them out.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Buddy of mine is on his 3rd hip replacement he does well.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My half brother had to have a replacement replaced just his year. The appliance was drifting deeper into his femur and his leg was getting shorter. Second procedure went well and he is on a cane already.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I had one replace about 4 or 5 years ago now and at that time the doctor/surgeon told me about the polypropylene type and the metal on metal problems. He stated that the polypropylene type would wear out long before I did and said it wasn’t the one for me. He also stated that the metal on metal replacement were causing lots of problems with metal ions being introduced into the body and they are not sure what all that will do to the body, hence the constant TV lawyers looking to cash in. He suggested I go for the latest and greatest ceramic on ceramic joint that is the best on the market. So I had that done and seem to be doing the job quite find so far. Of course younger folks are receiving replacements these day I guess because people are more active then years ago and they need replacement that have to last longer. I guess I’ll see how long mine will last now…

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

My father-in-law a licensed PT put his off as long as possible so as to hopefully not have a repeat on that side. He was a good bit older than you when he had it done. He also wound up having the other side done. He is doing well for an a now 86 year old.

At your age I suspect you will do fine.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I quite often see people that are completely miserable with every step due to bad hips and bad knees. And also some have bad backs and upper neck problems. They put off going to the doctor trying to be he-men or they don't want to show weakness.

When you really hurt and are miserable, it's time to see an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon. Pain is a signal, and one must listen to pain. Often, people that put off such surgeries or treatments will injure themselves for life.

And when you go to a doctor for such a problem, just make sure you go to the best surgeon there is. You want the doctor that does one or two of these surgeries every day. You don't have to settle for second best, or a doctor that just sometimes does such surgeries.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

I messed my knee up when I was 21 in a motorcycle accident. Was never right again, always had problems. I started having tons more problems when I was 35. I was going to gut it out and wait as long as I could but by the time I was 38 I could hardly walk. Got my knee replaced. Once I healed up I kicked myself for waiting so long. I started being able to do things I hadn't done since I was 21. Now at 52 I have pretty much wore that knee out. Going to see the doc on Thursday about getting it done again.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Not a problem I have to deal with, but there are some tv ambulance chasers (class action lawyers) that would like to talk to you.
That's not even an issue. Surgeon said expect 10-15 yrs., maybe more since I only weigh 140 lbs. Well I got 16 yrs. and I gave it hell!

Well I wish they could just put a new joint in my hip and make it all better, but after being shot in the hip by an AK round many years ago, not much more they can do with me. However I have had a couple of friends that have had to have their joints replace more than once, we have a guy that I work with, that is going through a double hip replacement right now, they just did his right and in a couple of weeks are going to do his left, saw him on Thursday and he is doing great.
Sorry to hear MT. Might want to revisit a surgeon though, they can do some incredible things now.

Actually from what I understand, 15 to 20 years is the life of these things, depending on how hard you use them. A young guy like swabber is going to use them harder than somebody in their 80s. You're putting wear and tear on a body part that can't grow new cells. In reality, a majority of people who get joint replacements don't live long enough to wear them out.
^^^ +1
My half brother had to have a replacement replaced just his year. The appliance was drifting deeper into his femur and his leg was getting shorter. Second procedure went well and he is on a cane already.
If all goes well I'm planning to walk out of the hospital on a cane!

I had one replace about 4 or 5 years ago now and at that time the doctor/surgeon told me about the polypropylene type and the metal on metal problems. He stated that the polypropylene type would wear out long before I did and said it wasn?t the one for me. He also stated that the metal on metal replacement were causing lots of problems with metal ions being introduced into the body and they are not sure what all that will do to the body, hence the constant TV lawyers looking to cash in. He suggested I go for the latest and greatest ceramic on ceramic joint that is the best on the market. So I had that done and seem to be doing the job quite find so far. Of course younger folks are receiving replacements these day I guess because people are more active then years ago and they need replacement that have to last longer. I guess I?ll see how long mine will last now?
Interesting. I discussed all of the options with my surgeon, metal was definitely out, ceramic has issues too, he said the poly is so much more advanced then it was 16 yrs. ago that's what he recommended. At the University Of Cal., San Diego he worked closely with some of the worlds leaders in the field, specializing in complex primary and revision joint replacement surgery. Funny how things work out, the closest major city is St. Louis, 2 hrs. away and it seems we have some of the best orthopaedic surgeons right here in "knowwhere'sville".

I messed my knee up when I was 21 in a motorcycle accident. Was never right again, always had problems. I started having tons more problems when I was 35. I was going to gut it out and wait as long as I could but by the time I was 38 I could hardly walk. Got my knee replaced. Once I healed up I kicked myself for waiting so long. I started being able to do things I hadn't done since I was 21. Now at 52 I have pretty much wore that knee out. Going to see the doc on Thursday about getting it done again.
Wishing you luck riptide.