snake story.......almost funny

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My nephew and his wife remodeled an apartment located over her dads old garage . It was a good deal for them to save money. However they learned that the place had a snake problem after finding several in the garage. They were big black snakes and he killed them because he knew there were others and he just wanted to be sure they never came back. Last week his wife said she had climbed into the attic to get down some stored clothing and while up there checking bags she looked into one and THERE LAID THE BIGGEST BLACK RAT SNAKE SHE HAD EVER SEEN.. She screamed and then fell through the ceiling landing on the floor. She is a big girl weighing over 200 lbs. She just got a few light scrapes but not hurt. I sort know her feeling because I found a very large snake skin in my own attic after I had been sitting on it.....shezamm.

tomdinwv

Re: snake story.......almost funny

Snakes are bad around here this year. We went camping last week. I had taken some fire wood from my house and piled it up behind the camper and thrown a tarp over it to keep it dry. The second night, my wife pulled back the tarp, got 2 pieces of wood and put them on the fire. She walked back over to get more wood and started backing up. "Tom, there's a snake in the wood pile!!!" I grabbed my shovel and went to investigate. It was a copperhead, about 2' long. I disposed of the snake. All together, in the 3 days we were there, we saw at least 10 snakes. One even tried to get in the jon boat while we were fishing. We have been in this particular campground at least 20 times over the last few years and up til this year, had only seen one snake, and it was in the lake, well away from where we were camped.

TilliamWe

Banned

tom, must be something about WV. ;) On June 1, 2013 we were southbound on Route 2, just about to enter Weirton, and there was a black snake coiled up in the middle of the road (on the double yellow lines) striking at passing cars! Alas, the vehicle behind me actually hit him and he was upside down in the northbound lane (but not dead yet) when we drove back by.

tomdinwv

Seems like some years we are over run with them and some years I don't even see one. Maybe it's just my imagination. This looks like it's going to be a bad year for snakes.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Was that at east lynn Tom its known to have a lot.

tomdinwv

On the nose Hawker. What's weird is all the trips we've made to East Lynn over the last 4 or 5 years, we had only seen one snake. This year, they were everywhere. LOL.

USS MINNOW

Seaman

A couple of years back as I was prepping my pontoon for it's 1st voyage of the year, I opened one of the seats where my life vests were stored and noticed a snake skin. As I began pulling the vests out, lo and behold, the skins previous owner. A 3 1/2' water moccasin. Couldn't have been in there too long but I'm sure glad I found him before getting out on the water!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

My mom used to keep a camper on and off there all summer and I would take the family down on week ends and by the bridge between area 1 and 2 in the riff rap it was very common to see a few.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

The real point is the snakes will only stay as long as there is an adequate food supply. That many large snakes in one place indicates a substantial food source.:concern::concern:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What LT said. Certainly one must be cautious to avoid offending or scaring vipers. . .rattlesnakes, copperheads and cottonmouth. . . but all other North American species except the rare coral snake are not only harmless, they are beneficial predators on rats and mice. Not even owls are so good at controlling harmful rodents in closed places.

There are bullsnakes in my garage and machine shed and copperheads in my woodpile. I like it that way.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't like copperheads in my woodpile, but I catch black snakes, when I find them and bring them home. My neighbor has rats/mice everywhere, none here tho.

rivermouse

A little humor

Attachments

• f27c7n.jpg
    f27c7n.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Wow we don't have snakes like that here in MN. we have to worry about freezing to death. We do have brown recluse spiders though.