I have officially joined the archery world

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
I have always enjoyed shooting bows. I just never had one for myself.
Well, I went and bought one for an early Father's day gift. My son's girlfriend bought one for my son as well.
We both got BowTech Assassin bows. We got them sighted in there at the shop, got great discounts for being retired AF (from the company and the store). Picked up 2 dozen .001 straightness arrows for $80/doz. I shot a nice grouping, just needs to be tighter. Now, I need to practice and go get certified so I can hunt in the archery only areas. :)

AK Chappy

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: I have officially joined the archery world

$80 a dozen? Boy, arrows have sure gone up a lot in the last couple of years, my last .001 straightness cost me $39.00 a dozen, I have since left the compound world and now shoot a custom longbow with wood arrows. But both I and my wife shot competitively for many years. Larry Jones, the Elk hunter who writes for many magazines in this country, taught my wife to shoot a traditional bow.

If you have questions, I or her would be happy to help out.

You have to be certified in AK to hunt with a bow? What does certified mean? I know if you are born after a certain date here in Montana, you have to pass Bow hunter's Education Class, I just taught a class today and have a hunters education class to teach on Sunday, but I am not familiar with being "certified"

By the way, congrats, bow hunting is not a sport it is an addictive lifestyle and it will change your lifestyle as you know it.

In reality, it is worse than drugs for some people!

:facepalm:

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I can hunt any of the regular seasons that allow rifles without the NBEF or IBEP certification card. But, if it is an "Bowhunting Only" hunt, I have to have the card. Bowhunter Education Course, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
The Dalton Highway has a 5 mile restriction for rifles and no motorized vehicles allowed. I can get 5 caribou a year from there. :) I don't feel like hiking 5 miles to use a rifle though.
Yeah, arrows and everything else is much less expensive in the lower 48. If I need more, I will probably order online.

AK Chappy

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I can hunt any of the regular seasons that allow rifles without the NBEF or IBEP certification card. But, if it is an "Bowhunting Only" hunt, I have to have the card. Bowhunter Education Course, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
The Dalton Highway has a 5 mile restriction for rifles and no motorized vehicles allowed. I can get 5 caribou a year from there. :) I don't feel like hiking 5 miles to use a rifle though.
Yeah, arrows and everything else is much less expensive in the lower 48. If I need more, I will probably order online.

AK Chappy

A good buddy of mine owns one of the premier custom arrow companies in the county, he does wood, aluminum and carbon arrows, let him know that Debby Parker sent you and you should be able to help you out.

Old South Traditional Arrows & Archery Supply - Since 1988

Scott is a great guy and makes some great arrows.

Dp

BonairII

Commander

I'm into archery myself. $80 a dozen is actually cheap. Many arrows out there at $120 doz and much more.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I'm into archery myself. $80 a dozen is actually cheap. Many arrows out there at $120 doz and much more.

Not for me!

:lol:

What I have been buying the last couple of years, I just pick them up at Walmart, Carbon $3.00 an arrow for my wife's compound, work great for killing deer and elk.

If I don't feel like building them myself, I just get a hold of my buddy Scott at old south and have him build me a set, but like I said, with my longbow, I shoot wood now with a hand sharpened two blade broadhead and normally I Fletch and build myself.

boatman1971

Seaman Apprentice

im into archery myself.ive been shooting pro for a big company for 13 yrs.i love bowhunting more than anything,except being on the water.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 529327_10151214010572735_1275219512_n.jpg
    529327_10151214010572735_1275219512_n.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Way to go boatman, I and my wife both shot for a very large archery company for many years, I used to own a company called Archery Information Service and we sold our American Bowhunters Club to a large company back east that has shows on every week on the Outdoors Channel.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I love shooting Bows, cheaper then shooting guns and you can do it all the time!!

Congrats on the purchase and Thank you for your Service!!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Thank you Lipp. I had the stock BowTech rest on there and today the bottom feather broke. Of course the Archery store was closed. So, I had to go to Sportsman's Warehouse and buy a new one. (Because I HAD TO SHOOT today!!) :)
I switched over to a fall away rest and learned how to install it, set it up and then adjusted it to sight in. It is only the first day, but I was able to get 10/12 into a pie plate size with 2 going high from 25 yards. The target I used had a picture of the "kill zone" for a deer and all 12 were inside it. Now, to practice, practice, practice.

AK Chappy

aspeck

Staff member

I love bow hunting, just can't seem to find the time to do it much. I do belong to a video archery league and we have a lot of fun with that!

congrats on your bow and new lifestyle!