Downsizing rant

foodfisher

Captain
Doing a bathroom remodel with a countertop and undermount sink to be reused. Vanity has to be replaced. No prob.! Removed the vanity in pieces, propped up the top and went to the big box store to get a replacement. 21" depth used to be the norm. Now 18' is the norm w/top included. What the (), I now have to hold the 18
" out from the wall and fill in all the gaps. Where's the 3# coffee can? Heck, they've even put a waist line in my Bud cans to shave .7 oz. off my 12 oz. of beer. Really getting frustrating.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Downsizing rant

I am annoyed by the height of my countertops. . .bath and kitchen. They are about 6" low for my modest height (6') so I have to bend to do chores and stuff on them. Being elderly, that gives me lumbar pain within about 30 seconds. If I had a lot of discretionary spending room I would get a contractor to come in and raise the whole works.

Not really clear whether the 18" is depth or some other dimension, fisher, but I wouldn't use it. Those things need to fit the people using them, not some revised industry standard to save bux on materials.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

No cabinnet makers listed in the yellow pages anymore?

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

The 21's are still available. You won't find them at Home Cheapo or Slows.

Holding it out and making a nice "bottle shelf" can be quite attractive if done with style.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We normal size people of 6'8" or so are not looked at for many things. I wish I could just say I want that and get it, but I can't.

foodfisher

Captain

Want's/needs vs $$ available is the modern delima. No problem building a box for the vanity to sit higher . Now we have to deal w/extending the plumbing, moving any electrics, med. cabinents, mirrors, plugging holes left from the moves and texture and paint to match. Custom built cabinets created the $$ delima. You guys pushing 7', all I can do is sympathize. I'm 6'1".

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Finding the same, I gave up and learned how to make hardwood cabinets that fit my wife and I, not all that hard to do.

Moody Blue

Captain

Not really clear whether the 18" is depth or some other dimension, fisher, but I wouldn't use it. Those things need to fit the people using them, not some revised industry standard to save bux on materials.

Agreed whole heartedly. Don't compromise. You nave to live with the results for a long time and will regret not doing it the way you want it. I have raised all of our countertops to suit us as we have done renovations over the years. Not sure (and don't care) how potential new owners might take to the higher-than-normal counter heights, but it suits us just perfect.

foodfisher

Captain

Demensions. Imagine a max 42" vanity, 21" deep, 31" high, under a banjo arm countertop that extends over the toilet and ends at the shower. On top of this banjo arm is a full length backsplash that has a full length mirror sitting on it. Now remove the vanity with the top propped in place and go purchase a replacement vanity from those or any other premade source. Ended up cutting the legs off and holding out the 18"er 3" from the back wall. Filled the blanks with cut to fit cabint side panels and running base molding to cover what was left of the arch. Only negative is no toekick.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a general contractor and find a lot of our customers are requesting kitchen size cabinets in their bathrooms recently. I prefer that 36" height and 24" depth myself which creates more space for 'stuff' on the counter top and I don't have to stand on my head to wash my face. (I'm 6'4").