Any wine-makers out there?

Dam2009

Seaman
Last September I made a batch out of Pettit Shiraz mixed with Merlot. Cracked the barrel open last month. Came out super smooth, but also super strong! Vino-meter shows it at 18% alcohol. Unreal, though the California grapes did feel extra sweet when I got them last year.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Any wine-makers out there?

You created a Sherry and really no longer a wine with a high alcohol and sugar content ;)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Neighbour has a winery, he does thousands of liters/bottles a year.
Its interesting to see how some years the sugar content is very high (hot and dry summer) and some years low sugar (cooler conditions).
I know he has a sugar meter to judge how much of one grape he will use versus adding something not as sweet to balace it out.

Dam2009

Seaman

You created a Sherry and really no longer a wine with a high alcohol and sugar content ;)

It's definitely not a Sherry. Sherry's or even port wine's sugar content is much, much higher, not to mention different making techniques.

The amazing thing is that the wine is so smooth, you cannot tell the alcohol content is so high.. until it's too late and you're already under the table.