Growing tomatoes?

Tyme2fish

Commander
Do you cage your tomatoes or just let them free range? We cage ours as I'm afraid they may run out into the road and get squashed and I don't like squash.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Growing tomatoes?

Always cage them. Those critters run all over the place otherwise.

aspeck

Staff member

Definitely cage them. They cannot be trusted to roam free ... they might leave the yard and once in the neighbors yard, they are gone!

r.j.dawg

Ensign

For determinate tomatoes definately caged. They will try to escape your yard and wreak havoc in your neighborhood. Indeterminate tomatoes really don't need to be caged as they really can't make their minds up what they want to do.

angus63

Captain

I just leave them on the window ledge and they stay there until I eat them. They are apparently afraid of heights.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I once saw a hot tomato with a fig on prune street. That was back in the 4 t's. :)

One of those hanging bag things works like crazy! Plug in your plant and let 'em hang from the ceiling. The creatures can't get them very easily so you usually end up with a bunch.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I like the idea of the hanging garden. When I gardened I built a 4'x4'x8' cage with a 4x4 wire shelf at 2' and removable chicken wire sides for my tomatoes. I grew a determinate tomato called Burpee's Supersteak. Huge (normally about 2#) and so sweet that I often took only one tomato and a salt shaker to work for lunch.

Tyme2fish

Commander

I thought y'all were pulling my leg talking about "determinate" and "indeterminate" tomatoes. I've never heard those terms before and had to Google it to learn the facts. Learned something new today so it's time to stop reading before my brain becomes overloaded.

ehenry

Commander

I dont cage mine.....I tie em to a piece of rebar and let em suffer.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Certainly had me on "determinate" and "indeterminate" tomatoes. I thought it was a joke. Now I got egg on my face (again).

Bronlonius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have so many plants this year, I ran out of cages. Trying a new flavor this year called great white beefsteak. I have 10 of those, and 10 of the red beefsteak ones.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Certainly had me on "determinate" and "indeterminate" tomatoes. I thought it was a joke. Now I got egg on my face (again).

Just save the egg and eat it along with some freshed sliced tomatoes for breakfast.:)

r.j.dawg

Ensign

On a bit of a serious note regarding tomatoes, there is a serious bee shortage in North America which can seriously affect our crops, thanks to Monsanto. CTV News | News Video - Top National News Headlines - News Videos (zoom ahead to 9:20). As a result many of us will have to learn how to hand pollinate our home plants. Gardening tips: how to hand pollinate tomatoes for larger production of your container garden - YouTube
I wonder why Monsanto's seeds are banned in Europe and most of central and south American countries but not here in North America.

foodfisher

Captain

If your serious, cage them then cultivate. Pick off the water leaves to leave room for air and light, and prune them allowing only the fruit producing stems to grow (there is a difference between fruiting stems and leafing stems).

Bronlonius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Apparently the local deer population is more serious about my tomato plants than I am. They just did that for me. Unfortunately, they didn't stop with just the water leaves, they ate the whole damn plants. Really getting tired of this, why can't they eat all of that #%^ing sumac that keeps popping up in my garden?