Morel Mushrooms 2013

Tyme2fish

Commander
Found these on our property. Mmmm, they're going to taste good. 2lbs 1 oz Mushrooms I 2013.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Morel Mushrooms 2013

Mmmmmmm! The ultimate fungi. :)

foodfisher

Captain

Really, really tasty. I'm told if you cut and not pull, they will come back.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice batch of Morels, Tyme. I'd be out pick'n this weekend but it's the halibut opener and that, I don't miss. The wild asparagus is going strong in our area and I can pick that on the way home from work but I have to work harder for the Morels They seem to thrive in areas burned the previous summer and we had a ton last year. I'll make it up there after we get some rain (and I freeze up my halibut) :)

Tyme2fish

Commander

We fried up some of the morels for this evening's dining fare.

Attachments

• IMAG0343.jpg
    IMAG0343.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 0

angus63

Captain

Never had a morel mushroom that I know of. Since we are at the same latitude, I imagine I can find them around here if they are native to Long Island (gonna look that up). Is there a trick to locating them? I love picking up free eats from the dirt, nearly as much as picking up fish from the sea. I do berry hunt, herb hunt, dig clams, etc... but never did score mushrooms. Now I am interested. Thanks!!

kfa4303

Banned

My whole backyard gets covered in chanterelles in the summer. Yummy!

bassman284

Commander

Never had a morel mushroom that I know of. Since we are at the same latitude, I imagine I can find them around here if they are native to Long Island (gonna look that up). Is there a trick to locating them? I love picking up free eats from the dirt, nearly as much as picking up fish from the sea. I do berry hunt, herb hunt, dig clams, etc... but never did score mushrooms. Now I am interested. Thanks!!

My grandfather always said "You have to think like a mushroom."

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Looks like they are going for about $30 per pound, retail so far this year.

Those little spores take a winter to get going after a forest fire, that first and second year quite the smokey flavour.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

My whole backyard gets covered in chanterelles in the summer. Yummy!

We find those in the fall. Spring/early summer we gather oyster mushrooms around the dead poplar trees. Both my daughter and I love 'em. Wife isn't a fan of any mushroom.

One of my buds hunts for morels. Keeps telling me he's going to let me try them. Has never happened yet........ I think they deep fry them.

kfa4303

Banned

super yummy with some butter and garlic an they look beautiful too. just gotta make sure you pick the right one :) Then again, you can eat any mushroom.....once.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

We have found "bad" mushrooms within a group of chanterelles. And they look similar, but at the same time still distinctive enough that they're not....

foodfisher

Captain

If you've got Cottonwood trees, I'd start there.

angus63

Captain

Cottonwood is scarce here. We have a lot of elm and white ash. The local mushroom picking society recommends ash and elm falls locally. We had a big burn two yrs ago and they recommended that area to start. May head over Friday afternoon after I read up and make sure of what to look for and what to look out for too. Thanks for the help!

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Burn first ash next then apple orchards are my favorite. But hey that's me

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Cottonwood is scarce here. We have a lot of elm and white ash. The local mushroom picking society recommends ash and elm falls locally. We had a big burn two yrs ago and they recommended that area to start. May head over Friday afternoon after I read up and make sure of what to look for and what to look out for too. Thanks for the help!

One of the best ways to start 'shroom hunting is to go with someone who knows what they're doing. That way they can show you where they grow and what they look like in the wild. Books are great, but you would probably learn a lot more going with a seasoned hunter. That's how I learned....

dwco5051

Commander

One of the best ways to start 'shroom hunting is to go with someone who knows what they're doing. That way they can show you where they grow and what they look like in the wild. Books are great, but you would probably learn a lot more going with a seasoned hunter. That's how I learned....

Our youngest boy is in the Navy and has done three tours in the Mid-East. Each time before he left he gave a sealed envelope to my wife and told her to open it only if he didn't make it back. Finally after his last tour she asked what was in the envelope that was so important. He laughed and finally told her it was maps of all his morel hunting locations.

Mushroom hunters are as protective of their hunting spots and asking where to find morels would be akin around here to asking where someone's favorite woodcock hunting location is.

Tyme2fish

Commander

We just ate a second helping of the morels we picked. This time I saut?ed them in butter (real butter) with some garlic added.

PRETTY TASTY

sam60

Captain

Just got a call from FIL in Nebraska, overnighting us some tomorrow. :cool: