ok winter....enough already!!!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: ok winter....enough already!!!!

What you need is a big Blizzard to snuff that thing out.

Not talking any rain until Friday. Bring it on!

YIKES!, thats one smokey fire buddy.
For the most part around here the forest fires hit the firs and ceders and away they go from crown to crown, really fast moving and really hot.
I can see by the smoke that that fires moving through leaves and grass making for one smokey/smouldering fire.
Fingers are crossed that everything goes good for you.

It was going thru a bunch of jack pines at that point I believe.

Air support all day again. 2 Blackhawk 'copters and 2 CL 415s. It's supposed to be 95% contained. That is, unless the wind picks up. Crossing our fingers it stays calm tonite. Over 9000 acres burned. I guess embers were going 1 mile ahead of the fire line yesterday. High winds helped it out. Tough to contain in those conditions. Some residents stayed away today again. Can't say I blame them. Supposed to have crews here for another 4 - 7 days to watch for flare ups/hot spots.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

What you need is a big Blizzard to snuff that thing out.

I hate tell you this but snow is not always the answer for wildfires,

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...w-cold-weather-west-Estes-Park?nclick_check=1

Right now we are waiting for a infrared fly over of the area to determine if this fire is officially out, thing is wildfires can smolder in the undergrowth and snow can actually insulate the fire and allow it to smolder for months, sounds nuts but then again here it is right in my home state, when we were doing our classroom and certifications a couple months ago for our Wildland team they brought this fire to our attention, it was pretty funny to see the looks on some of the rookies when they heard about it.

The area of the Fern Lake Fire hasn't seen a wildland fire in 800 years so that might give you an idea of the understory in that area, were talking feet not inches here.

QC

Supreme Mariner

It was sarcasm regarding the title of this thread. Didn't work :redface:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

It was sarcasm regarding the title of this thread. Didn't work :redface:

No it probably worked well I just missed it, so I guess you could say the jokes on me!

On another note for those of you who may be interested, we have a fire that has been burning for over 100 years in a coal seam it has been the cause of several wildland fires.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMAN3C_Burning_Mountain_Coal_Seam_Fire_New_Castle_CO

We have no idea how to put this fire out...

rbh

Fleet Admiral

The clouds cleared finally and looking across the valley this morning there is definetly a fresh snow line about 1000+- feet above us, please go away!!!!
We are getting one heck of a storm out here in the west, tons of rain plus the daily snow melt is adding up to flooding conditions.