We're Penniless here in Canada

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: We're Penniless here in Canada

They could change the size to be more obvious, ya think. Rippled edge on quarter, smooth on nickel, serrated on a dollar.:jaded:

You would have thought that, but they made it close to the quarter size, TWICE! :) At least they went to a gold color this last time.

Before the US gets rid of $1 bills, they'll get rid of paper money entirely, it seems?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I think the small stores along the border are going to have a great time converting american money. They have always just shot in the dark on the exchange rate. Now they have a target.

dwco5051

Commander

No, we're not broke, we've just officially done away with the penny as of today.

Pennies are no longer being distributed as currency. Instead, merchants will "round up or round down" the price to the nearest nickel. Guess which way most will "round" off the prices to.

The penny is still accepted as legal tender for now, but will eventually be taken completely out of circulation. Better go empty those piggy-banks and cash in my fortunes now before it all becomes worthless.

I can remember shopping in Montreal over 15 years ago and they would just round up or down on cash transactions unless you would would pay in exact change or ask for your pennys back. Though I usually paid with plastic I always carried some Canadian currency when we were out in the Eastern Townships for small stores that only took cash.

nwcove

Admiral

The next step should be to replace the dollar bill with a coin. I know they have tried a few times, but it would save millions.

we've had the dollar ( loonie), and two dollar (two-nie) for many years now. took some getting used to, but now when you grab a handfull of change from your vehicle console.....it could easily be 50 bucks!!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

we've had the dollar ( loonie), and two dollar (two-nie) for many years now. took some getting used to, but now when you grab a handfull of change from your vehicle console.....it could easily be 50 bucks!!

I'm just sorry that the fine Canadian citizens are burdened with such high costs. We're going to Nova Scotia in May, and rooms are priced out of sight--plus a 17% Sales Tax. Gasoline is close to $4.70 U.S. dollars per U.S. gallon of unleaded. Food is about 150% of comparable restaurants in the U.S. And $20.50 for a 12 pack of beer is what's really outrageous. It would be enough to make me quit drinking, if I lived there--not really.

dwco5051

Commander

I'm just sorry that the fine Canadian citizens are burdened with such high costs. We're going to Nova Scotia in May, and rooms are priced out of sight--plus a 17% Sales Tax. Gasoline is close to $4.70 U.S. dollars per U.S. gallon of unleaded. Food is about 150% of comparable restaurants in the U.S. And $20.50 for a 12 pack of beer is what's really outrageous. It would be enough to make me quit drinking, if I lived there--not really.

Didn't used to be that bad when I was going there every couple of months or so 15 years ago. Exchange rate was about 35% in favor of the US $. Stayed with my ex's family, filled the Suburban in Plattsburg NY and could drive around for a week and not fill up till I got back to the states. I don't drink or smoke but an occasional cigar and would stop at the duty free store and get a couple of real Cubans. No passport needed. As far as meals I would gladly spend 25 bucks for a viande fum?e sandwich in Montreal if I had to.

Jeep Man

Commander

We're already dealing with the problems created.
- A penny saved is a penny earned. No one is saving anything worth anything.
- Don't give us your .02 anymore. It's worth nothing. Give us your .03 from now on. As soon as it comes out of your mouth, it's worth almost double.
- A penny for you thoughts. Again......worthless
- Inflation? Things that used to cost a pretty penny now will cost a pretty nickle.........or is it free?
- Penny stock will now be of no value unless you buy 3 shares.
- All these people that are paid to clean the pennies out of the fountains will now be out of work.
- What are we going to put in the fuse box now when a fuse blows???? Big problem!
- I can no longer tell my customers that I'm worth every penny.
- Paying my taxes with nickles won't be nearly as much fun.

tallcanadian

Captain

They are talking as well to do away with the nickel too. What would they do with the beaver?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I saw on the news today, down here in the lower 48, we're talking about getting rid of the penny. I think we're just trying to copy you guys up north.:) This has been brought up before.....

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We need save the penny fund, send me your pennies, I will put in jug and use when pennies are gone. lol