Boating/Hunting in Central PA

aspeck

Staff member
Monday started our 2 week rifle season for deer in central PA. Here are a couple shots of how we hunt/boat the end of November, beginning of December. Lot's of fun!

121128_0001.jpg

121126_0001.jpg

121128_0002.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boating/Hunting in Central PA

Musta been using bucktail jigs. Or was that doetail jigs? Nice one, aspeck.

southkogs

Staff member

Won't he do a little better if you keep him in a live well?

Good times Art. Nice lookin' deer too. We don't typically get them that big down here.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Someone needs to nudge that one guy. He's looking at the inside of his eyelids instead of looking for deer! I must say, that's a first for me, Art. Given the terrain, I can see how it would be very productive.......Mmmmmmmm, backstraps.............:D

aspeck

Staff member

The guy looking at his eyelids is 82 and in the past year and a half has gone through a hip transplant, a knee replacement, chemo, and now they need to start working on his other knee and hip. And we can't keep him ON the boat! He keeps trying to get into the middle of the drives and doesn't want to be a burden to us! Shucks, he can do whatever he wants because he makes us all sandwiches and brings the candy and snack cakes! LOL! He is a tough old Air Force Pilot and a great friend and hunting companion!

Gotta finish up a few office things and head back out this afternoon ... hopefully!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

That's a type of guy that's going to go hard until he can't go anymore. Good on him...... And he brings sammies! I like him already....:hungry:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

WOW, kinda like the hunting ride at Dizzy land but with live ammo!!:lol:

aspeck

Staff member

One of the guys Picked up a 5 pt today. I had one of the biggest spikes I have ever seen walk past me today. See what happens tomorrow.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

You keep the processing equipment in another boat Art? LOLOLOL

Nice job Buddy!

aspeck

Staff member

Lipp, you hang with me and I could teach you lots ... LOL!

NYBo

Admiral

How big is the dog you have retrieve those babies???:eek:

aspeck

Staff member

Mid 50's tomorrow ... shotgun (ducks), rifle (deer) and fishing rods (anything that swims) will be the order of the day. Neighbor and I will have a good time. Then probably done hunting till Saturday. Geese come in next Monday and muzzleloader (flintlock) after Christmas. Lot's of good boating weather ahead yet! LOL!

aspeck

Staff member

Only got 1 mallard, but it was a beautiful day, so it didn't matter much ...

100_0441.jpg

100_0440.jpg

Splat

Lieutenant

Pardon my ignorance... your shooting them at the shore from the boat, or boating to a remote location and hunting them from land? Never though of doing either actually. I'm not sure if we could shoot from a boat here in Ohio.... I didn't get any this last gun season, one more weekend coming up, if I don't bag one I'll have to get out with the bow and tree stand.

Bill

aspeck

Staff member

Yes to both questions. We boat to locations and sometimes watch, but mostly drive. In the process of going from place to place we see deer along the water, bring the boat to a complete stop, turn off motor, load ... legal to shoot from the boat as long as it is not under ANY mechanical power and the motor is turned off.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Same here in WV you can beat a trolling motor for slipping up on Squirrels

FLATHEAD

Commander

Looks like good times Art. On this end of the state in WMU 5C it has been an up and down year for me. Took the first week of Nov to archery hunt the rut. Shot a doe first morning and saw lots of buck and doe the rest of the week but no more of them fell to my arrow. First day of shotgun I saw a doe with what appeared to be a broken arrow in her neck, so I did the humane thing and dropped her. Turned out to be an antenna and transmitter. Bummer!

DSCN2569.jpg

aspeck

Staff member

That's interesting! Was there an address to return the transmitter?

FLATHEAD

Commander

Yes it was placed on the deer by Penn State University students. I called the number and had a nice conversation with one of the kids doing the study. The main thing they are looking at is deer movement in the area. Personally I think the game commission needs to look at mortality rates in 5C and the other special regs areas, but thats neither here nor there. The kid was real nice and told me they would be by my place to pick up the collar. I told him they should try to put just a little bit of color on those things so a hunter can identify what it is at a distance. Had I known that deer was healthy I would never had shot her.

aspeck

Staff member

Very interesting story! Was thinking PSU or Game Commission...