Skydiver Begins Prep for Supersonic Jump

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Skydiver Begins Prep for Supersonic Jump

Quote"
I'm skeptical that it's physically possible to exceed the speed of sound in a jump like this. Drag increases exponentially as you approach the sound barrier, and there is no energy in the system besides his own falling mass to push him past it.

Quote"
The actual speed Kittinger attained in 1960 is not precisely known. Some, including Kittinger himself believe that he exceeded the speed of sound....but without better instrumentation (speed of sound is dependent on altitude and temp) that is lost in the past.

according to preliminary data, had an exit altitude of 128,100 ft, a free fall of 4 min 20 seconds. for a distance of 119,846 feet. Baumgartner achieved a maximum velocity of 373 meters per second, 833.9 miles per hour, faster than the speed of sound, or Mach 1.24.

TilliamWe

Banned

I think they wanted Kittenger to still have part of the record. Just guessing, though. I didn't hear Geronimo.

The guy was talking over it, but Felix clearly said that he thinks he passed out. I think he was confused at how long he had been free falling, and pulled the chute too early. The spin he was in was NOT what they wanted.
What he said before he jumped was something like "you have to get up this high to realize how small you are."

He actually said "Sometimes you have to be really high, to see how small you really are. I'm going home now."

Last edited:

TilliamWe

Banned

they started to vent helium at 128,000 feet and up to then it was still climbing at about 800 feet per min so how high could he have gone? i thought he would have stayed went until the ballon couldnt go any higher then jumped

No, because his supply of oxyen in the suit was limited. If he had gone much higher, he would have run out of breathable air on his way down.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, because his supply of oxyen in the suit was limited. If he had gone much higher, he would have run out of breathable air on his way down.

The suit O2 was only for the decent and was for 10 minutes. On the way up he was hooked up to O2 tanks in the gondola. There are limits how you can go before the balloon bursts due to lack of atmospheric pressure. 24 miles was closing in on the safe limit, given safety factors. And he was supposed to pull the chute around 5000', so he pulled early.

southkogs

Staff member

The guy was talking over it, but Felix clearly said that he thinks he passed out. I think he was confused at how long he had been free falling, and pulled the chute too early. The spin he was in was NOT what they wanted...
I had to go back and listen to that again ... interesting. I knew the spin was not part of the plan.

...There are limits how you can go before the balloon bursts due to lack of atmospheric pressure. 24 miles was closing in on the safe limit, given safety factors...
I'm no aviation or balloon expert, but my understanding of that particular balloon at least is that they hit altitude and stop. They don't burst though. There was a controlled release of the gondola to get it back to the ground. Not sure what ultimately happens to the balloon. Be kinda' a bummer to have that mug land on your house one morning :)

angus63

Captain

Felix-Baumgartner-10.14.12-Red-Bull-Stratos-Record-Jump-From-Capsule-Step.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but I can say with absolute certainty that I do not possess the courage to step off. Cheers to you Felix!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The following quotes are from the Red Bull Stratos site. A;most everything is explained.

Sounds to me like the balloon will rip apart if everything isn't perfect.

A 40 acre dry cleaner bag carries nearly 3,000 pounds. That's the Red Bull Stratos Balloon. .........
Float altitude(top altitude), where low air pressure will cause the helium to expand so much that if the excess cannot escape through the balloon's vent tubes, it will burst. Helium inflation quantities are carefully calculated to avoid this.

After jump balloon and capsule sequence:

After Felix has landed, Mission Control will trigger the separation of the capsule and balloon, so that the capsule can descend under its parachute. A nylon "destruct line" will release the helium so that the balloon returns to Earth. Then, the team will gather the envelope into a large truck, a process that can take several hours.

Other than a minor glitch with the face shield heater, all went as planned. Congratulations to Felix and the the entire team Well done!

I don't know about you guys, but I can say with absolute certainty that I do not possess the courage to step off. Cheers to you Felix!

You got that right!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Felix-Baumgartner-10.14.12-Red-Bull-Stratos-Record-Jump-From-Capsule-Step.jpg

True that. But at the same time, I don't think I would want to stay up there either........ Cool stuff......

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Whats next?

How about a geo sync orbital jump pad?

(sorta like the altimate base jump spot)