my first boat restore

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
i found this pic online spent the summer of 96 grinding chiping rust fiberglassing and painting this tug even cleaned out the fuel tanks with a shovel and five gal bucket

Attachments

• john f wallace.jpg
    john f wallace.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: my first boat restore

this boat had a diesel starter motor half the size of my truck thats right i said starter:eek: the main engine had piston rings larger than basketball hoops 16 cyl inline like 30' long with crankshafts above and below 2 pistons in each cyl they meet in the middle

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

this boat had a diesel starter motor half the size of my truck thats right i said starter:eek: the main engine had piston rings larger than basketball hoops 16 cyl inline like 30' long with crankshafts above and below 2 pistons in each cyl they meet in the middle

I read that twice and I'm still trying to figure out that engine configuration.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

just what i was told by the engineer, it was massive with a catwalk around it and trapdoors to get at the bottom end at the top was another crankshaft valves in the middle of the cylinder combustion blows the pistons away from each other i guess thats one way to increase stroke with a smaller crankshaft and dont have head gasket to worry about:rolleyes:the diesel it used for a starter motor was bigger than a road tractor engine

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

idk in this pic the mast was laying down it stands like 15' taller i remember painting it was windy and rocking i realized i was swinging 30 or 40' side to side:) also walking off at the end of the day felt like the ground was moving

bekosh

Lieutenant

It's an opposed piston configuration. Here's a website on the type used in tugboats.
http://www.tugboatenthusiastsociety.org/Pages/tugmach-diesel-modern-FM.htm
FM-OP-SECTION-LABELED-500PIX.jpgfig1-07.jpgfig1-08b.jpg

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

thats it, thanks, was having trouble describing it, spent 6 months working on this boat, it had been sold to some folks in haiti and needed some cosmetics to get it past port authority, something about drydocking someplace cheaper, captain john got me drunk and tried to get me to sea with him but i did not like the idea his last 3 boats he captained had sunk:eek: