Craigslist "Free" section.

coreybv

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Over the years I've always kept an eye on the "free" section on Craigslist, and I've made a few really cool scores. Just picked up a nice Craftsman shopvac a few weeks ago.

But for every "score", I've noticed that there are roughly five hundred ads that seem to offer something for free, but actually mean something else. A few of my favorite recurring themes:

"Free firewood" -- I've got this dead tree in my yard and the city sent me a notice that I have to remove it. Tree service wants a thousand bucks. How about you come do it for nothing?

"Free walnuts" -- Holy crap my yard is a mess! Can you come clean it up for me?

"Free puppies. Great with children" -- Pit bull / doberman / rottweiler mix. Only slightly abused, might bite a little but shouldn't draw too much blood.

"Free kittens" -- What? It costs 30 bucks to get a cat fixed? What a ripoff!

Any other good recurring themes?

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Re: Craigslist "Free" section.

I love the ones that list "I have an entire garage full of stuff I need to get rid of. It is free, BUT YOU MUST TAKE IT ALL!"
Like I want a full garage worth of junk, there might be two things in there worth getting. :)

AK Chappy

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I look at the "free stuff" on CL almost daily. One of my favorites is the "free" dogs or cats with a "rehoming" fee. They want you to pay $20 or more for an animal they are trying to give away so, in their words, they know you're serious.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Around here many species of palm will invasively take root, and they are a B***H to dig out, especially if you let them get more than a couple feet tall--which does not take very long.

There are always plenty of "free palm tree, you dig" ads.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Around here many species of palm will invasively take root, and they are a B***H to dig out, especially if you let them get more than a couple feet tall--which does not take very long.

There are always plenty of "free palm tree, you dig" ads.

uuuuuummmmmm....I've got one of those in my yard:eek:

We have lots of free palm trees and other landscaping-you remove it and it's yours. Pavers are available for free as well...usually a picture of a patio full of them that says, "you remove and they are yours!" Also, free dirt, rocks, and the occasional garage full of...stuff. One was a FREE Norfolk Pine, 35 feet tall. You remove it and get to keep the wood...great for building a boat.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

On the other hand, I've had good luck getting rid of stuff that I didn't want/have room for but didn't feel right throwing away (still usable, good for parts, etc.). Usually the phone starts ringing about 5 minutes after placing the ad and the stuff is gone within an hour. Examples: old (1980's) metal gas tanks, some with gas still inside (gas maybe 1990's vintage), 20 year old 2 stroke oil, 1980's flasher type depth sounder, used garbage grinder from kitchen remodel. A lot of the stuff around here probably ends up in Tijuana.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I saw one that said "free large screen tv' may need minor repair"// This means they have a busted 20 year old tv that weighs 400lbs in their UPSTAIRS bedroom and expect you to come and remove the thing for free. I had a large 3 car metal carport that I had to remove to clear the spot for my garage. I offered it for free to anyone who would come and disasemble it . I got plenty of offers and the guy I gave it to worked like hell for 2 days taking it apart so he could put it back together. His wife wanted it to make the top for a horse shelter.I was lucky to get ride of it for nothing.

coreybv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is free, BUT YOU MUST TAKE IT ALL!"

Like I want a full garage worth of junk, there might be two things in there worth getting. :)

I've always wondered what would happen if I showed up and cherry picked the good stuff and left the rest behind.

I suppose, technically, the ad does create a contract of some sort, but really, is someone posting an ad like that going to go hire a lawyer and enforce it?

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a nice locking internet cabinet. about the size of a phone booth. big fan on top, 2 doors and an old computer system inside. Plus some other computer parts and accessories.

I put it on in the free section. within 20 minutes someone was by taking a look at it.. he shoved it on top of his minivan and tried to tie it down with bailing twine...
I gave him some ratchet straps and told him if he's in the area sometime just pop them in the mailbox.

Next day I come home from work. Here is this cabinet in my driveway. with the cabinet striped of all electrical and components..
I was pissed.. Later I realized, he dropped off the cabinet, but not my ratchet straps....
Damn.......

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yup, I notice around here it's mostly old huge TV's that may or may not work (worked 10 years ago when last used!), and so, so much free firewood that has a picture of a tree, either standing or cut down lying in a yard. :D Oh yeah, and stuff that needs "3 strong men" to move it.

Mostly the FREE stuff is junk, but I've seen some pretty good stuff, just missed out on a nice computer speaker system with subwoofer, and I inquired only about an hour after it was listed. I think some folks pretty much stay on the free stuff page constantly.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

There are a LOT of these too:

I have an old, large deck that I am no longer using. If you are interested in coming and taking the wood, please respond to this post. Picture attached.

deck.jpg

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

ready4lake

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have seen people post free tires. The description usually says all sizes of tires and a picture of a big stack of tires in the woods. Then at the end it says none of them are good. They need to just make a new section on craigslist called "Hull my s**t away for free". Someone has to be picking this crap up though, because the posts are never on there very long.
On the other hand I got my hands on some good stuff too. I have even had a couple free cars that I just haulled to the scrap yard and made a few bucks.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

There are a LOT of these too:

I have an old, large deck that I am no longer using. If you are interested in coming and taking the wood, please respond to this post. Picture attached.

View attachment 141712
Been there done that - free trex decking. We spent all weekend taking apart a deck, and gazebo. The stuff was water logged, and heavy as hell. After we loaded it and drug it - heaviest load I ever drug. We unloaded it, and my buddies neighbor complained about the pile - he has 3.5 acres? Anyway he had to move the whole pile but he later sold it. Free scares me!

64osby

Admiral

I have seen people post free tires.

I had 28 junk tires that were in the beds of two abandoned pick ups. I was scraping the trucks and the junk yard told me they would cost $8.00 per for them to take. I hauled them out to the street and 2 days later only 4 were left. Didn't even have to post on CL. I would not have put a single one on any vehicle or trailer.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Somebody's got a sense of humor, this one is up today:

http://albany.craigslist.org/zip/2972339031.html

Giving them credit! (Anywhere)

Date: 2012-05-12, 9:02AM EDT

Reply to: see below

While your considering how the hell to clean your place ya come upon an idea!
I'll put it on Graigslist!!
thinking your a genius, you post useful items like....
>taking the pieces of rotted railroad ties
>taking the chunks of concrete labeled "rocks"
>grabbing the sticks, brush and old fence around the yard for "kindling"
>loading pieces of sheetrock that some sap may be able to piece together while using an entire bucket of compound, of which you have non left
>and oh yes! several pieces of fragrent sewer pipe for you scrappers!!
and if we're lucky it will be posted as a curb alert so we can play Nascar on the way over hoping we'll be first on site!!!
AND HEY.......take it all and be ***** neat!!!)
remember.....laughter is the best medicine!!!!!!!!!
have a GREAT day!!!!