Boating with kids

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boating with kids

There are few ways to counter irrational fears; statistics won't even work. Is akin to the fear of flying. Make it a protective parent and their kids and you can only address is with tiny little steps. If you try to make a rational, logical and well-thought out argument as to why it's okay, don't expect a rational, logical, well-thought out reaction that addresses the reality of it all.

Take a boating safety course and a CPR class... and swimming classes. Seeing some aggressive action towards safety would probably help. Action moves us forward; chatter and 'convincing' do not.

Surprised more have not mentioned this. Best few hours you'll ever spend.

Expect the unexpected. Don't go alone the first couple of trips, and make 'em short. Double/triple-check everything. Most of all, follow Mama's lead, let her set the pace. When she's happy, well, you know........

<<)))(((>>

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I've got twins and another 2 years older. They've all been in the boat by 5 months of age. First trips were obviously short. From my experience by about age 3 you can get a couple hours fishing, and it increases from there. Cheerios, pretzels and sunscreen are the most important parts in my experience. In MN lifejackets are required. Lifejackets can get pretty hot in the sun. When they get older, about 4 or 5, Cabelas makes some with mesh shoulders that don't get as clammy.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know this is an old thread that I started over a year ago. Anyway, we decided that last summer was too soon to introduce the boys to the boat. Fast forward to this year, the boys are now two, have taken swimming lessons off and on since early spring, and generally love the "wawer." Also, we've had them in the boat a few times sitting in the drive. Even though they do act up, they listen pretty dang well.

We have our first boating trip with the boys planned here in a couple of weeks. We're going to Table Rock Lake in SW Missouri. It's a beautiful lake, we're going during the week so it should be calm, and it's about a five hr drive from here. We already know the boys do well in the car, as we had a big car trip last month and was in the car 38 hrs in 7 days. It sucked for me more for them because I did all the driving. Besides what we've done listed above, we got them appropriately sized PFDs and have been putting them on at home so they can get used to them. We don't really plan on straying too far from the marina and our cabin is two minutes away from it.

My wife is still apprehensive about the trip, but as long as we go into it calm and collected, I'm sure it'll be fine. I went through and read all the good advice above, and if anyone has any more advice, I'll be glad to take it.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

We started our son on the boat at 9 months. He always wears a vest and stays seated when boat is in motion. I don't take him by myself because we always want a set of eyes on him.

Was your wife comfortable with the boat before kids?

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

She loves the boat. But, she's the product of an overprotective mother, and some of it rubbed off on her.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

She loves the boat. But, she's the product of an overprotective mother, and some of it rubbed off on her.

What does she think is going to happen to them? I would say they are safer on the boat than playing in front of your home since they are in a controlled environment and restricted space on the boat.

The only way something bad happens is if someone is not paying attention to them and keeping an eye on them.

For the first 2 or 3 seasons he would take 2-3 hour naps. Not so much anymore. We do have to keep him occupied which means bringing games and the fishing pole.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

She's thought of every scenario you could possibly think of. You can be sure that there will be a very close eye on them at all times. I told my wife it scares the bejeezus out of me driving the kids home from daycare with the way people drive. That's way more scary to me than putting them on a boat.

tpenfield

Staff member

You should be fine now that the kids are 2 yrs old. The wife will have to deal. As long as you are fully capable of handling the boat yourself, then the extra focus that having the kids aboard will need should not be too much of a problem.

Just remember that boats can be dangerous, but they are skill building. So, you should be cautious yet confident. As the kids grow, boating can be part of their skill building. . . . teach them how to tie knots at some point.

My 2 kids were a bit older when we got our first 'boat' ( a sunfish) . . . but we all went out on it and they did fine. They eventually got boats of their own and took sailing lessons . . . We also had a 22 ft sailboat and did some overnighters in it. However, they were quite relieved when I sold their, and my, sailboats and got a powerboat. Tubing and wakeboarding seemed to be more to their liking than sailing. The Admiral (wife) took the power squadron course once we got the 22 foot sailboat, which helped in her comfort level with the boat, and in turn helped with having kids on the boat, etc.

My brother's kids are the afraid of boats, mostly do to an over-protective mother. I had them on my boat a couple of times . . . the first time was OK, but then the next time, they were pooping bricks. He eventually bought them kayaks to try to get them more familiar to the water and boat handling, etc. It is not happening, though . . . I think they have used the kayaks once or twice.

Anyway, see what works for your family, be safe, and make it a skill building and life adventure process , things should be OK.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Yeah I was going to say that at 8 months your kids had spent more of their lives in water then out(and they will be fine), anyway I am happy your kids are heading for their first summer on the boat, all I can say is the same as the others, be fully trained to care for your kids, it was easy for me as a former lifeguard, be sure to keep an eye on their lips, they will tell you until they are blue in the face that they are fine, but blue lips means its time to sit in the sun and warm up.

atx111

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For sure. My wife is an ICU nurse with advanced life support training. I know basic life support for my job too. I think it's important for any adult to know it when boating.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

PFDs, harnesses, tethers, and helmets!

... might want to make that Kevylar PFDs.

briangcc

Commander

Well I tried it when my son was 3 months old....he overheated about 100' from the dock and it was a scream fest as we idled back to the dock.

This year, he can have sunscreen (BIG thing to have) and I'll be allowed to open the front windshield (wifey thought it wasn't such a good idea last time) so hopefully he's good with it. He's toddled on the boat already at 1 year old and chewed on the steering wheel & throttle so its got his seal of approval! Other than that, we have a PFD sized for him that he will wear before his little feet even remotely come close to the dock and will only be removed once we get back on dry land.

No exceptions as my dear wife scared the ever living crap out of me when she took it off him on our way back to the dock last year. I laid into her that it was unacceptable and she understands why now.

Other than that we plan on taking out some of his toys, some snacks & drinks - he'll get dehydrated quickly if we don't, a favorite blanky (probably not needed but its a comfort thing since he's a human version of Linus right now), and I'll put the convertible top up to provide some shade.

My biggest fear is him trying to get into the water as he's a water baby - if there's water, his hands MUST be in it. I might just fill a bucket with lake water so he can splash with it inside the confines of the boat...

southkogs

Staff member

Just plan on going ... and go.

When the monkeys get tired of being on the boat, or mom gets nervy: come back in. Prep yourself for coming in early several times, so you're not expecting to be out all day and the kiddo's blow a fuse in 15 minutes ('cuz it's gonna' happen sometime). If you're able to roll with whatever comes, the rest of 'em (wife inclusive) will probably push it a little farther each time.

Don't forget to give the kids a secondary reason to go: swimming, fishing, etc. That breaks up the boating a little bit and helps things along.

Patience is your most powerful tool.