Picture stolen for craigslist ad??

Dzrtcj7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just ran across a craigslist ad for a boat like mine, opened the ad to find a picture of my boat!?! I thought the boat looked familiar!

I'm flagging the post and emailing the seller. That's just not right ...

If anyone happens to see something similar pop up again, please flag it.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/2517328590.html

Edit: It appears it was stolen from this post: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=374293&p=2559075&viewfull=1#post2559075

CLad.jpg

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Picture stolen for craigslist ad??

Ouch, heard a couple times of this happening, stuff is rampant, I remember seeing a newstory of a guy that drove by a billboard on the highway (the really big ones) and saw a picture of his entire family, wife, couple kids, himself, and the family dog :eek: they had gotten made at one of the mall type box stores. Now THAT is freaky, dont recall the outcome of that one, but it wouldnt be good if it were my family, gotta admit. :rolleyes:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The internet is public domain. If you don't want your picture used, copyright it or remove it from the web.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

Errr, I know you may have checked, but do you know where your boat is?
I mean is it outside your house or safely berthed?

I'd hate to think that you berth it 30 miles away and haven't been there for 3 weeks and..............:redface:

ziggy

Admiral

i've seen my boat in an advertisement for a boat like mine. it was an pic absconded from iboats. i don't have any other place the pic was uploaded to. so it had to come from here.

i'm with dingbat. any pic i publish on line can be used by someone else. c & P. it's not hard to do. with that in mind. i don't post any pic of anything that i don't care if it gets used by someone else.

fwiw. the ad did say that the boat pictured wasn't the boat for sale.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My brother-in-law's mom is a graphic designer. Years ago he posed for an ad for her for a golf course or something golf related I forget which. It wasn't anything national just a local company ad. Well he and my sister just went on an island vacation and were researching resorts and his picture showed up on one of the golf-related pages. How random!

I'm a web developer and used to work for a BlueCross insurance company. I was working on a project for the marketing department. I asked them for some images for a page I was developing. They sent me a bunch in email that were none too standardized looking. I asked "you didn't just go out and swipe these off the internet did you?" they were like "oh". You'd think marketing people would know you can't just do that. :facepalm: Stock photos are expensive.

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya I have had it happen to me, but was listed as a ref picture. Kind of like when I was looking for a Sleek for Arch I ran across Matts boat for sale on another auction site, even included Matt's video of when he got he got his boat home......now that is bold....

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Happens all the time. Google images is a great place to go when you need a quick pic of something. Public Domain. I would grab a pic from there if I needed it vs. having to drive out to the boat, unbutton the hatch and get a pic of my genset or something. As long as you indicate that the picture of the *whatever* is for representation only, and not the actual item.

Pics of people however, would be a different story. We have pics of my wife on a billboard. She was working at the local ambulance as a Paramedic when she was captured wheeling a patient into the local ER. Next thing we know, she was on a billboard for the same hospital, advertising for their emergency room services!

ziggy

Admiral

Next thing we know, she was on a billboard for the same hospital, advertising for their emergency room services!
then she'd need to be monetarily compensated imho.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

the ad did say that the boat pictured wasn't the boat for sale.

Maybe I'm dense and missing it, where does it say that?

Perhaps laws say that he technically can use a photo from the Internet as it's considered public domain, but... the question has to be asked why he can't post a pic of HIS boat, in an age where everybody's cell phone has a camera. My guess is his boat is a complete mess, and he wants to sucker as many people to his house that he can.

The guy's phone number is on the listing, I would be giving Ryan a call.

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Give him a ring, that would be funny, then show up to his house with your boat in tow......and ask WTF?

ziggy

Admiral

Maybe I'm dense and missing it, where does it say that?
sorry, i didn't make myself clear. the ad that i saw that used the pic of my boat said that, not the op's boat. as a disclaimer i assume..

Dzrtcj7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

fwiw. the ad did say that the boat pictured wasn't the boat for sale.

If that had been the case, I wouldn't have had as much of a problem with it. I understand the public domain stuff, but I don't think its right for someone to misrepresent what they are selling.

aspeck

Staff member

I emailed him and asked for more pictures of the boat before I make the 500 mile trip to purchase it ... will see if I get any more iboats pictures.

mancho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Really? Stock photos expensive? When is the last time you hired a photographer to go shoot a product, scene or even a model? Yes, there are "model" photoshoots where no hot blondes or brunettes are on site. :(

Next, yes, once a pic is on the internet, it's ALWAYS there, and having them swiped is NOT unusual.

What's UNUSUAL is that a marketing dept giving you pics saying these are good to use in your ad.

If I saw a pict of my family or me in advertising, it would be a helluva lawsuit for a compensation.

I have actually used my hands as a model before, some reason they are "sexy" male hands LOL

I'm interested to see Ryan's additional pics as well, I have a feeling they won't be like the OPs boat.

whitecrystal1

Seaman

I had this happen to me with my car I had posted a picture of before. I just posted an ad to his ad that this was not his car and if he really had one to sell he should post an actual pic.. guess mine looked better than his lol, he took the add down

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I emailed him and asked for more pictures of the boat before I make the 500 mile trip to purchase it ... will see if I get any more iboats pictures.

I was shopping for a Renken Seamaster and the picture in the ad was this:

102_0890-Copy.jpg

I thought the dude looked shady so I passed. :p:p:p

Scorpion8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Happens all the time in the audio/stereo world I haunt, and with car listings. People are too lazy to go take their own pic, or in many cases your pic is better. As long as it is not misrepresented, there's not much you can do.