557 hp outboard, only $68,900

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
A small Mequon firm is gearing up to produce what it says are the world's most powerful outboard marine engines, using the engine from a Cadillac CTS-V automobile that cranks out 557 horsepower.

Seven Marine LLC says the 6.2-liter, supercharged V-8 engine is tied to a marine transmission and outboard gear case that is "the guts of the most powerful outboard on the planet."

Because they carry a base price of $68,900 - more expensive than a complete Cadillac CTS-V automobile - Seven Marine doesn't expect to sell thousands of these outboard engines a year.

Crankshaft is HORIZONTAL.

Only weighs 1000#.

557-red-qtr-lrg.png

557-blue-ortho-lrg.png

features-engine.png

http://www.seven-marine.com/

D

DJ

Re: 557 hp outboard, only $68,900

Truly a selective market.

There are folks out there that can (replace, or spec. these) over triple/quad Merc's/Yam's (300 HP), etc. with two of these. Less weight/complexity, etc. Two throttles are A LOT easier to deal with than three or four.

If that is the case, the numbers work.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Good lord, I want to see the transom that can handle a pair of these.

Don't worry Bubba, I bet you will, real soon, hanging off the back of a few of our marine patrol boats! Those guys love to hang big power off their border patrol boats and the coast guard boats!

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Thats a lot of freakin POWER !!!! NICE !!!!!

angus63

Captain

Don't worry Bubba, I bet you will, real soon, hanging off the back of a few of our marine patrol boats! Those guys love to hang big power off their border patrol boats and the coast guard boats!
Ironically and surprisingly without a roar, USCG hangs Hondas on their vessels.

Wonder how the gears (bevel?) that turn that power ninety degrees to the drive shaft are gonna hold up? Sure would like to have a peak at the design.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Doh! I just bought a V4 when I could have had a V8!

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not a big boost with the SuperCharger....My Escalade makes 402HP with the 6.2(Bone stock), remove most of the emissions crap, and you'd be a few more up....

Perlmudder

Seaman Apprentice

They were on an Intrepid sport fish at the Miami boat show I believe. The problem is the things will probably blow lowers like its their job. Thats a lot of hp and torque to go through an outboard lower. I believe the designer was a chief engineer at Merc Racing for quite some time.

TilliamWe

Banned

The price is coming down quickly. Trailer Boats reported in this month's issue that the price was $75,000.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

These things make our 140hp a "trolling motor" :D

aspeck

Staff member

I showed it to the wife last night and asked if we could get one for the back of the Dual Console. She laughed and said and emphatic NO!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Not a big boost with the SuperCharger....My Escalade makes 402HP with the 6.2(Bone stock), remove most of the emissions crap, and you'd be a few more up....

But I'm guessing the powerband curve and torque curves look very different with the supercharger.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If a simple ring and pinion gear set can take hundreds of hp shock loaded into it at the track over and over, I'm sure that a set of beveled gears with more teeth in mesh will handle many times that load. And it doesn't have to deal with the "clutch dump at 5000 rpm into a pair of sticky slicks" shock load factor either. Although I bet it is a nice design.

angus63

Captain

Mark- I agree on your comments. My interest is how they do it in a size that fits under the bonnet of an outboard with a V8? Also, since the drive shaft will be vertical under the horizontal motor, won't they have to turn the power 180degrees back to the shaft and then 90degrees to run down the shaft and then 90 degrees to the prop shaft? Think maybe a gear train under the motor? Maybe universals? Seems like a lot of interfaces to get power to the prop. Think there's an emergency rip cord in a pouch under the cover?

TilliamWe

Banned

Mark- I agree on your comments. My interest is how they do it in a size that fits under the bonnet of an outboard with a V8? Also, since the drive shaft will be vertical under the horizontal motor, won't they have to turn the power 180degrees back to the shaft and then 90degrees to run down the shaft and then 90 degrees to the prop shaft? Think maybe a gear train under the motor? Maybe universals? Seems like a lot of interfaces to get power to the prop. Think there's an emergency rip cord in a pouch under the cover?

They are using a ZF transmission. Last time I checked, ZF made a pretty good tranny or two.