What's a cord of oak cost?

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Guys-

I saw a company cutting down an oak tree and they let me fill my truck with it for free. I got two truck loads of logs- probably 60 pieces that were about 14" in diameter and 20" long.

What's a cord of oak cost? I'm just curious what we saved. In fact, we don't have a fireplace but we camp a lot, so I got it to burn at the campground.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: What's a cord of oak cost?

Dried firewood (oak is good stuff) for heating here in the Northeast is about $170/cord (8' x 4' x 4') cut, dried, split and delivered......but just in a pile not stacked.

Summer Fun

Banned

Out here in Central NY its about $55 a face cord. :)

JRJ

Commander

Depends, look in your local paper. Probably in excess of $200.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Darn,

Wish I would have been there, I would have called the wife and had her bring the dump truck down and filed it up, we have very little opportunity to get oak out here where I live, and if you do, it is over $300 a cord!

scipper77

Commander

I had the same thing happen to me except it was my neighbors ash tree (no beetles). I don't know what the wood is worth but I know it burns good and seasons quickly.

My fireplace has a gas insert so wood is not an option. I do however have a fire pit in the back yard that gets a lot of use in the summer.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Out here in Central NY its about $55 a face cord. :)

So about $110 for a full cord.

Around my neck of the woods, it depends upon how hungry the wood cutter happens to be. Since oak is everywhere, it is relatively inexpensive; anywhere from $75 to $150 a cord.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I had the same thing happen to me except it was my neighbors ash tree (no beetles). I don't know what the wood is worth but I know it burns good and seasons quickly.

My fireplace has a gas insert so wood is not an option. I do however have a fire pit in the back yard that gets a lot of use in the summer.

Ash is another very good heating wood and can almost be burned as soon as it is dropped and split.

Here is good chart for BTU's http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

A cord of split mixed hardwood goes for about $250 delivered, but not stacked in North West area of NJ. A bit cheaper in PA, where coal is readily available and fairly cheap.

Fly Rod

Commander

Dry oak around here goes from 250.00 - 350.00

One cord of dry red oak is equivalent to using 155 gallons of heating oil. :)

heating oil around here today is 2.72 per gallon. So 155 gals. today would cost 418.50

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

gee-whiz...

The two boys we buy from only charge $90.00 a cord...that includes delivery within 20 miles of thier location. They come with thier F350 loaded and ask you where they can stack it for ya:D... I got two cord from them last winter, and still have about a half left.

OldePharte.... I think your confused about how many face cords are in a cord... 2 face cord does NOT make up a cord.

Chincoteaguer

Seaman Apprentice

Used to get a pick-up truck load (even with the gunwales) of seasoned hard wood (mostly oak but some beech and hickory) for $40. I think it is $60 now. I can also go in my woods and cut it but found that the pick-up truck load was just too reasonably priced. If you get a face cord make sure it is not a "rabbit" face cord. Old timers use to say a cord of stacked wood sometimes allowed a rabbit to run through the gaps.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

OldePharte.... I think your confused about how many face cords are in a cord... 2 face cord does NOT make up a cord.

:rolleyes::confused:

The confusion is yours.;)

Since a face cord is at best an invented measurement and in fact often varies from place to place, (heck, I've even seen 12" cutoffs called a "stove cord"....what dat??:confused:) , I've seen 2, 3, and even 4 face cords be presented as a the equivalent of a "real" cord, 4'x4'x8'.
I've never been offered apples by the "face bushel".:)

And make sure not to confuse it with a "box" or "truck cord" which some around here call a pickup box full of 16"-20" chunks, randomly thrown in. :eek:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

In MA, a cord of hardwood (not oak specifically, but it will be a mix of oak, ash, cherry) Starting about mid Nov onward will run you 250 delivered (but obviously not stacked). After winter you can get a cord for about half that.

The lowballers in the newspapers that claim 150-200 deliver crap, pine, wet/fresh cut wood.

Bondo

Staff member

So about $110 for a full cord.

Around my neck of the woods, it depends upon how hungry the wood cutter happens to be. Since oak is everywhere, it is relatively inexpensive; anywhere from $75 to $150 a cord.

Ayuh,... Standard stove wood is 16",...
So, a full cord is 3 face cords...

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Hey Guys-

I saw a company cutting down an oak tree and they let me fill my truck with it for free. I got two truck loads of logs- probably 60 pieces that were about 14" in diameter and 20" long.

What's a cord of oak cost? I'm just curious what we saved. In fact, we don't have a fireplace but we camp a lot, so I got it to burn at the campground.

To help your calculation...

That should pile (and this approximate, but IMO reasonable) to 4' x 40" x 7' (2 rows 4"x7')....or about 3/4 Cord of wood.
Nice catch!

Summer Fun

Banned

I'm surrounded by farmers so guess what I burn ..... shelled corn . :)

30.000 BTU corn stove.

base_30000_1_smr.jpg

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

I guess I'm lucky I don't how much it goes for around here. My brother works for a company that clears land for development. When they get into a good oak stand, he'll call my Dad and we'll go cut down a trailer load or two of logs. Then we bring it home cut it up, split it, and stack it. We usually have about 4-5 cords seasoning year round. Whenever my whole family needs some firewood, we have plenty ready to go around.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Around my neck of the woods hardly anybody knows what an actual legitimate cord of wood looks even looks like, buyers or sellers. Bummer.

Most everybody around here buy/sell by the "face cord" for about $45 to $55.

Course, hardly anybody can agree on what a "face cord" actually is either:rolleyes: