What's a cord of oak cost?

gonfishn

Commander
Re: What's a cord of oak cost?

When made into furniture Oak ,Hickory and Cherry are the most expensive. With all the pressed junk coming from overseas quality furiture comes with a quality price. I work with the Amish and they work with nothing else. Its worth depends on where your at and what folks are going to use it for.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like I made out ok getting it for free. I rented a log spitter and spent the day making little pieces from big pieces. My neighbor's thought I was crazy since we don't have a fireplace and we live in Southern California, but we'll have some sweet campfires when we camp. Places out here charge $7 for a small bundle of mostly soft wood that has maybe 7-9 pieces.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can rent a splitting maul in Southern California???

Buy a maul ;) 16" pieces of oak are not that bad and it will heat you twice.

scipper77

Commander

Looks like I made out ok getting it for free. I rented a log spitter and spent the day making little pieces from big pieces. My neighbor's thought I was crazy since we don't have a fireplace and we live in Southern California, but we'll have some sweet campfires when we camp. Places out here charge $7 for a small bundle of mostly soft wood that has maybe 7-9 pieces.

You are crazy but we like crazy.

I mentioned earlier that I am in the same situation as you (neighbors ash tree). I bought a log splitting axe (hybrid maul/blade). I figure for camp fire use I can chop wood as needed. I guess in my mind spending money to rent a splitter ruins the spirit of "free" wood (I'm crazy too).

I already chopped up a bunch of the wood so it will season properly for next year. Some of the bigger logs are really hard to split with my axe. I just cut halfway through the side of one of the bigger logs with my chainsaw. I figure this will make it easier to split in the future but will wear the heck out of the chain to do regularly.

Since I have a joe homeowner chainsaw used for light duty (fallen branches, trimming lower branches etc) the chain will last for years as long as I stop abusing it. I'll post you a pic if I can get it off of my phone just because pics are fun.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

This winter you are paying $160 for a cord of split seasoned birch, and $125 for a cord of split and seasoned fir/spruce.

We get a 40 yard container filled with misc lenght d log (stuff they have run through the shaper to make log cabins out of) and it is KILM dried. :)

5-7 cords $350.00, good deal EH :D

scipper77

Commander

before getting the big logs ...
Woodontractor2.jpg

Woodontractor.jpg

Freewood3.jpg

Freewood2.jpg

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

The confusion is yours.

Since a face cord is at best an invented measurement and in fact often varies from place to place, (heck, I've even seen 12" cutoffs called a "stove cord"....what dat??:confused:) , I've seen 2, 3, and even 4 face cords be presented as a the equivalent of a "real" cord, 4'x4'x8'.
I've never been offered apples by the "face bushel".
And make sure not to confuse it with a "box" or "truck cord" which some around here call a pickup box full of 16"-20" chunks, randomly thrown in. :eek:

:confused::eek:
Yeah... I guess I'm confused.... its pretty standard that 3 face cord equal a cord, but as you so elequently put it... it often varies from place to place.

but I suppose your math is as good as your people skills.. apparently 55+55+55=110... tis why I was saying I believe he was confused... basically, seeing you have comprehension problems, his math would lead one to believe he thinks that only 2 face cord equal a full cord.:rolleyes:

tallcanadian

Captain

No oak in my neck of the woods...pardon the pun. Spruce is what is mainly burned. It goes for around 110 to 125 per cord, cut to size. (16") Birch will run about 140 to 150 per cord. Forget oil. You need to take a second mortgage for oil here. I have electric heat..Believe it or not electric is the cheapest way to go here in the north Atlantic.

cbavier

Lieutenant

He is talking about renting a Hydraulic Log splitter. Sorry I got to reading and forgot this is an old post. Duh

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah it was a hydraulic log spitter run off a lawn mower engine. I can't imagine splitting everything by hand. I have a few herniated discs in my back and arthritis, so I'd end up on the couch with a bunch of pain meds if I didn't use technology.

I wish we were in an area that we needed it for house heat. Believe it or not, my wife and I are sick of Southern California weather (well, people too). We'd like to go somewhere with seasons and water (we're in our 1000th year of drought).

Anyone wanna trade houses? We're 35 minutes from L.A., 30 minutes to Disneyland, 60 minutes from the beach, and 90 from snow skiing.

j_martin

Admiral

Dry oak around here goes from 250.00 - 350.00

One cord of dry red oak is equivalent to using 155 gallons of heating oil. :)

heating oil around here today is 2.72 per gallon. So 155 gals. today would cost 418.50

155 gallons of fuel oil has about as much heat in it as a full cord of seasoned oak. However :D:D:D:D

Most wood burners run about 50% efficiency, and most oil burners are over 80%.

So break even, not considering the extra labor to burn wood, would be about 250 bucks for oak.

DF909, you probably can't use the wood in campgrounds without risking a big fine. They frown on "uncertified" wood.

What the providers do is register, pay a fee, and tarp the cut wood long enough to kill all the critters in it.

I burn wood year round. I heat the house, and also the hot water with wood. My usage is about 12 full cords a year, replacing about 1500 - 2000 gallons of propane. If I get into good cutting within 20 miles of here, I can block and haul home a years worth of wood in a week. Another week and it's split and ricked up on the hill, with last years cutting brought down on the return trip and stacked in the woodshed. 3-4 grand in heating cost saved is good pay for 2 weeks of actual work, not to mention a heart rate under 50 at 63 years old.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I burn wood year round. I heat the house, and also the hot water with wood. My usage is about 12 full cords a year, replacing about 1500 - 2000 gallons of propane. If I get into good cutting within 20 miles of here, I can block and haul home a years worth of wood in a week. Another week and it's split and ricked up on the hill, with last years cutting brought down on the return trip and stacked in the woodshed. 3-4 grand in heating cost saved is good pay for 2 weeks of actual work, not to mention a heart rate under 50 at 63 years old.

I'm glad I don't live up there. I have a 3,000 square foot, all electric house. Hot water, stove, heat and AC all electric. My total electric bill last year was $2,005.88. Of that figure, I?d say less than $1,000 was spent on heating.

A cord of wood delivered around here will run you about $150-$170 delivered.

scipper77

Commander

I'm glad I don't live up there. I have a 3,000 square foot, all electric house. Hot water, stove, heat and AC all electric. My total electric bill last year was $2,005.88. Of that figure, I?d say less than $1,000 was spent on heating.

That's crazy cheap!! Actually as I type this it dawns on me that you are in the perfect climate for low heating and AC bills. Up here I pay around that for a 1850 sqft house but the average daily temp in Feb is usually pretty close to 10*. We also have a pool filter to run. and I don't know if you are far enough south where they don't do basements but we run a dehumidifier year round.

Wow, the more I type the more I realize how ridiculously much energy I use. My wife works nights so she runs a fan when she sleeps. The white noise helps keep the normal daytime noises (lawn mowers, snow throwers etc..) from waking her up. more energy just being wasted.

gonfishn

Commander

Suumerfun: The Amish do use same tools we use but use air guns with diesl engines. If all of a sudden if there was no electric it would the Amish who would not miss a step. There are many different sects of Amish. I imagine that that they branched off so they could do the heater thing. True Amish are not allowed to have graven images of themselves so this sect are not true Amish. Sorry to get off track here but some folks are so miss informed.

j_martin

Admiral

But we can walk on water 4 months out of the year.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That's crazy cheap!! Actually as I type this it dawns on me that you are in the perfect climate for low heating and AC bills. Up here I pay around that for a 1850 sqft house but the average daily temp in Feb is usually pretty close to 10*. We also have a pool filter to run. and I don't know if you are far enough south where they don't do basements but we run a dehumidifier year round.

The basement is finished so its heated and AC with the rest of the house.

The biggest difference is the length of the seasons and the temps.
We have the AC on 4 months a year and the heat on maybe 5 months a year if it?s been a cold winter. January and February are the only two months where our average low temp is below freezing. January is our coldest month with an average high of 42 and an average low of 27. By February, those numbers have risen to 47 and 30. We?re running a Sheer 16 heat pump with a variable speed blowers, programmable thermostat, etc. which helps.