What to get for my parents????

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I want to do something for my parents that they will really enjoy. I am at a loss of what to do. I know that I can do some yard work, fix a few things around the house. But that is NOT the sort of "do something" that I want to do. They can pay someone for that, and they do. Let me describe my parents:<br /><br />Dad is fairly good at mechanical stuff. He knows a lot about strengths, how to determine structures, basic tools, etc. I got my education in "do it yourself" from Dad. I helped him lay paver blocks in the 70's before they were popular because he knew their strength. Taught me how to frame a wall and hang a door. He always paid high attention to the overall design. He helped me build my first go kart from wood, then my first mini-bike from a kit. (Mom was pissed) He taught me magneto ignition, basic fuel, air ,spark technology of motors. He worked for ***** oil company for most of his career. Top dog in the oil technology biz, he is a chemical and mechanical engineer. He extended his retirement just to head up special refinery overhaul projects. Always stressed that the equipment need to be cleaned more often than it was to keep up the quality of the "cracked" product. In the mid 70's Dad said " a bunch of young engineers spend lots of time in the room with new computers (PC's)." (my Dad still knows and has many slide rules) I was messing around with Atari and told him to go in there and learn what they are learning (there was no official training back then). He did, and the old dog learned new tricks. Next thing you knew he was dragging home big suitcase size machines to work on. Cool stuff back then. <br /><br />Mom to did a lot of projects in her time. She taught me how to sew up the seat covers on my motorcycles (that she hated) and how to make curtains, how to frame a picture, how to use water color paints and oil paints. The difference in light on a Fir tree near and far. Color coordination. How to dress. She shopped in consignment shops. The old "depression era" that her parents lived through rubbed off on her. She bought many of my cloths (especially the suits and dress shirts) at consignment shops or church basement sales. I hated that. Trying on some other kids cloths….. She pointed out who was a good friend and who wasn't by their actions, AFTER the fact. She knew when you were in trouble with just a look. When I was a smart mouth I got it hard. She once hit me in the face with a full pitcher of orange juice because I used the "f" word on her. She knocked me right over and down the basement staircase, orange juice flying all over the walls, steps, etc. Not bad for a 120lbs Mom. I learned my lesson. <br /><br />Mom and Dad have enriched my life 10 fold. They are getting old. Still in good health (74 and 75), they are driving over for Christmas day. I still don't know what to do for a Christmas present. <br /><br />They do adore the kids. But I think they are not up to the "send the kids over for a week" that MY grandparents did with me and my siblings. That's because my Grandparents were much younger than my kids Grandparents are. And that is the drawback to waiting until you are 41 years old to start making kids.<br /><br />I told them to come over at noon so they can have 2 hours with the kids before anyone else comes over and it becomes a Zoo here. <br /><br />So…. What do I do? <br /><br />Maybe I'll just print this and give it to them. Right?

cpj

Ensign
Re: What to get for my parents????

Maybe I'll just print this and give it to them. Right?<br /><br />I think that you have found your answer, Mark. It sounds like they want for nothing, and Im sure that a letter from you such as this would mean more to them than anything that you could ever hope to buy.<br />Heck, it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing could be better and more meaningful than this note as a Christmas gift. Just add this to any kind of gift and it should be perfect.<br />You are very good with words. I enjoyed reading this. I'm all warm and fuzzy inside also.<br />Bassy

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

cpj,<br /><br />Thanks, bud. Wife is calling me to bed. Actually she is pulling on my shirt collar. But she agrees that maybe making more time for them and the kids (2 and 6) is the best thing before some illness strikes. Could be today, could be 5 years, who knows. Better safe than sorry.<br /><br />Sometimes these formus are a good soundboard for youre own thoughs. Just need to type before you act, right?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Bassy, thank you too. Got to go really, wife is piuling my hands! JHAA!

LubeDude

Admiral

Do they have any really nice pictures of your family???

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Present them with a nice digital camera and printer as they walk in the door. Grandparents love to share pictures! Give them a copy of this letter too!<br /><br />Merry Christmas.<br /><br />Bob & Jenn

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> Bassy, thank you too. Got to go really, wife is piuling my hands! JHAA!
Well?<br /><br />Oh, sorry wrong forum!

heycods

Captain

you might be suprised about them wanting to keep the kids. maby not for days but a while. while I was working 24 7 we didnt spend enough time with the older grandkids. now ret. and I love to keep them , hunt fish ect. I even enjoy keeping the baby for the day.

LadyFish

Admiral

Mark, how about making them a 2006 calendar with pics of you and your family, a different one for each month? I think it would be a great gift and you can do this in Microsoft Word. If you don't have a color printer maybe you could email the file to friend who does and have them print it out for you.<br /><br />Just a thought. :)

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

We got my parents tickets to see David Copperfeild next month. My Sister is adding to it by providing a gift certificate to a nice resturant where the show is at.<br /><br />There is nothing my parents need that they don't buy for themselves, so we try to give them a special night out.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mark, I agree completely with cpj and Bassy. <br /><br />The most wonderful gift I ever got for Christmas was a letter from my Son not very different than your post. It was done in elegant calligraphy and framed.<br /><br />We think you should give your parents thanks for being the sort of parents they are, and list some details as you have done here.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the ideas. I ran out this morning and got a photo album. Pasted a nice letter based on the original post above to the inside cover, and are (as we speak) printing photos from the last 4 years to put in it. A couple of photos we would like to include are "pre-digital" era so scanning is involved. <br /><br />Wow, the printer sure is slow when you're in a hurry!<br /><br />Thanks to all! <br /><br />Merry Christmas Eve!<br /><br />Best wishes from my family to yours.