Which Coffee Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which Coffee Maker

Bodum vacuum brewer.<br /><br />
cafemaison_1873_14055170
<br /><br /><br /> http://store.cafemaison.com/bodum-coffee-maker-santos-3000-10.html <br /><br />I have the stove top model, but the electric with timer model sits on my sisters counter, she has more money than I do.

cntrydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone! I will print this out and take it home and let the Admiral read it. You all brought up some great points.

18rabbit

Captain

As far as taste goes you can’t get a better tasting beverage from a coffee bean than you can with an espresso machine. There is a reason whey espresso is the default method of processing a coffee bean everywhere in the world, except here. Fwiw, the US ranks 3rd in the world for coffee quality. The highest grade of coffee beans end up in Europe. Then Japan takes the 2nd best, and the bottom of the barrel comes here because we have crappy coffee (in general) and can’t tell the difference when brewing with all those hot water machines.<br /><br />Best flavor of coffee is 2-oz of beans ground such that it will take about 20-sec for 2-oz of water to pass thru them. That’s espresso. Any less time and the full flavor of the beans is not realized. Any more time and the bitter acids of the bean start to leach into the beverage. When made properly, espresso is not bitter, it has a creamy, full body flavor, excellent after taste. And espresso has LESS caffeine than a regular cup of joe.<br /><br />I’ll put a shoot of espresso + 4oz of hot water up against any of your machine brewed cups of coffee. It’s faster, tastes a billion times better. Note: only in America is a cup of coffee 6oz. Everywhere else in the world it is 4oz (2oz espresso + 2oz hot water).

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br /> As far as taste goes you can’t get a better tasting beverage from a coffee bean than you can with an espresso machine. There is a reason whey espresso is the default method of processing a coffee bean everywhere in the world, except here. Fwiw, the US ranks 3rd in the world for coffee quality. The highest grade of coffee beans end up in Europe. Then Japan takes the 2nd best, and the bottom of the barrel comes here because we have crappy coffee (in general) and can’t tell the difference when brewing with all those hot water machines.<br /><br />Best flavor of coffee is 2-oz of beans ground such that it will take about 20-sec for 2-oz of water to pass thru them. That’s espresso. Any less time and the full flavor of the beans is not realized. Any more time and the bitter acids of the bean start to leach into the beverage. When made properly, espresso is not bitter, it has a creamy, full body flavor, excellent after taste. And espresso has LESS caffeine than a regular cup of joe.<br /><br />I’ll put a shoot of espresso + 4oz of hot water up against any of your machine brewed cups of coffee. It’s faster, tastes a billion times better. Note: only in America is a cup of coffee 6oz. Everywhere else in the world it is 4oz (2oz espresso + 2oz hot water).
I'll add to that a big fat DITTO.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Aldo, <br /><br />I'll agree with that, but would you please explain what all of your funny coffee words mean?<br /><br />Long black, flat white, short black, long white there's' more too, right? Jeez. and when I say "Long black" (I figured that out) they always say "sugar?" No, if I wanted sugar, I would've said so . . . :p :p :D <br /><br />Pretty much here we have Coffee, we say "black" "sugar" "cream" "cream and sugar". Espresso you ask? We say, uh, espresso. Cappuccino? We say cappuccino. Latte? You guessed it . . .

Dunaruna

Admiral

I've never been into a starbucks, don't they sell REAL coffee? AKA, espresso?<br /><br />A drip machine does not make espresso nor can it make crema.<br /><br />A good barrista will never make a bitter coffee, if it's bitter, send it back. Once coffee has past a certain temp (I think 89C) it's junk. <br /><br />A true espresso is short/black/NOT bitter. From my experience, most europeans don't add sugar but I do. Never add cream,water or milk. There should always be a dark brown float ontop known as crema, this is achieved via pressure. The higher the pressure, the tastier the crema (that is what I was referring to when I posted about 1.5bar). This is the most common way to drink coffee in europe, often drunk out of cups the size of shot glasses. It is very strong and contains less caffiene than 'instant'. It should not inhibite sleep, it will help with digestion (especially with a grappa chaser). The most common bean used is arabica. Espresso is the base ingredient for all the following - <br /><br />A long black is when plain water is added, all it does is weaken the strong flavor. This is more suited to western tastes, in fact, in Rome it is known as 'Caffe Americana' due to the GI's drinking it weaker during WW2.<br /><br />A flat white is probably the most common way a westerner drinks coffee, it is simply a long black with milk. AKA long white. It is called 'flat' because it has no froth or visible crema.<br /><br />Cappuccino is 1/3 espresso, 1/3 latte and 1/3 milk froth (BTW, skinny {low fat} milk makes the best froth). In Italy, it is only drunk at breakfast time.<br /><br />A latte is 1/3 espresso, 2/3 heated milk. Latte literally mean 'milk'. My mother drinks it using goats milk (yuk!)<br /><br />A machiata is a long black with a dash of milk, machiata litterally means 'stain'. The milk give the black coffee a slight stain color.<br /><br />There are more but I won't bore you any further.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hey roscoe, have you ever heard your sisters coffee unit brewing? It sounds like a jet engine during takeoff. Crazy!<br /><br />I like coffee, but not like some. Sounds stupid but McDonalds coffee is always good..

QC

Supreme Mariner

It's OK Aldo. No bore. Yes, we have all of that here and yes, Starbucks (and a lot of other places before them) have real Espresso machines . . . ;) It's just that a standard Coffee (long black) to us is typically from a drip machine. Most higher end restaurants along with coffe houses and stands have both.<br /><br />Flat white was puzzlin' me. Thanks!

MudIsFun

Seaman

Go with the grind 'n' brew from cuisinart. It has a timer, and you can either have it fresh grind your beans or you can use the regular pre ground from the can. <br /><br />I have the stainless model. Stainless insulated pot and LOVE the thing.<br /><br />my $.02<br /><br />Kevin

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really like the Cuisinart I purchased from Costco a few years ago.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Vlad D Impeller:<br />
Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> <br /><br /><br />I drink coffee all day long,,,,,,,maybe that is why I seem to be wired all the time......
Well!! Are ya gonna tell us which is better?<br /><br /> Crimp or solder? :p :D
I didn't say anything :D :rolleyes: :D ;)

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br /> Hey roscoe, have you ever heard your sisters coffee unit brewing? It sounds like a jet engine during takeoff. Crazy!<br /><br />I like coffee, but not like some. Sounds stupid but McDonalds coffee is always good..
Especially if your a little old lady and you dump it in your lap! :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sorry Pointer, I think Mickey's coffee is garbage.<br /><br />I have a pyrex stove top vacuum brewer, and an old stainless steel stove top vacuum brewer. They make a real wild sound if you heat the water to boiling, then insert the top half of the brewer. The water erupts to the top and sounds like a powerflush toilet going off.<br /><br />I buy my coffee direct from the grower in Hawaii, 2# at a time, Bag is marked with the roast date. Its fresh. Its pure Kona, not a 10% blend. Its expensive. Its potent. I grind it and blend it with 8 O'clock from the grocery store. Next favorite coffe that I have tried, comes from Ethiopia.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Ooops. Thread is 14 years old, how it got on my main page who knows. That coffee is really old by now. Sorry Mods.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Boy is this one old and awakened by a ceiling fan and coffee maker spammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.