Which Coffee Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntrydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We are in the market for a coffee maker. I have been trying to find some comparisons on-line with out much success. So I thought I would ask the experts! We don't drink allot of coffee, about 8 cups total per day between the Admiral and myself. I don't want a cheapie Mr. Coffee unit,(been there done that), that doesn't heat the coffee hot enough, or starts leaking and such after a years use. The upper end ones we have looked at are Krups, Kitchenaide, Bunn. So many choices and options! The main feature we like is the built in timer. Other than that I would just like a good one! What do you all use and how do you like it?<br />Thank you!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which Coffee Maker

We have a Cuisinart that we really like. Has a timer of course and another timer for the hot plate. Also has different temps for the hot plate. We got it at Costco. The key to these things IMHO is good water. If you get a lot of deposits etc., they crap out quickly.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

We have been using a Braun for nigh unto 18 years now. It has the timer so I set it up for Coffee every night and pour the pot into my thermos each morning. <br /><br />It has never digest any other the Reverse Osmosis water. It is still going strong.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I also vote for krupps but I'd like to know what type of machine you are talking about - drip filter or pressure? If it's pressure go for as much bar as possible - over 1.5 is good.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Jennifer Aniston, Heidi Klum, Jessica Simpson, Cindy Crawford, any of these coffee makers would do, and I don’t even drink the stuff. :D :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yup, MYTJC, that's the one we have.

ZmOz

Captain

I just skip the coffee and inject caffeine directly into my veins.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I prefer to use my old percolator, its 15 years old and it works like i bought it yesterday ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Had a Krupps. Kroaked.<br /><br />Had a Bunn. Broke.<br /><br />Had a cheap Mr. Coffee for 5 years. knocked it off the counter and broke it.<br /><br />Got a top of the line Mr. Coffee. The one with the vacuum carafe, the timers and no "hot plate". Makes the best coffee of them all. Gets my vote.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The braun and the Bunn coffee makers allow you to adjust the brew temp, which can keep you from burning the grounds before it's done brewing, or wasting coffee by under-brewing it.<br />Add another vote for good water being vital for good coffee. Another tip is to grind yer own,but if you don't want to do that, keep the open coffee bag/can in the freezer.<br />But you must also consider cost of the better makers, because at 25bucks, the Black ndecker "versa brew" is a great alternative. It's cheaper to find a grind/brand of coffee that brews consistantly,and within the range of whatever temp your maker brews at...As opposed to finding a maker for the coffee blend you like. <br />The 'versa-brew" likes Maxwell House "French bold roast", or if you prefer fresh-ground, 8 O'clock "Dark mountain" bean (i think it's called).

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Coffee brewers are no better than the water you use in them. I do commercial kitchen repair and it is one of the things that fails very often. Of course these are commercial units (Bunn & Bloomfield) but the water is what tears them up. One store will completely lime up in 1 month while another store on a different water supply will last a year or more. It is a pain in the arse taking care of 28 units and 6 spares.<br /><br />Any more Mz Mayfloat and I get the cheapest and use it until it dies. We get them at the Dollar store for about 9 bucks.<br /><br />I have found out that the more gadgets and settings is a waste. Just more to cause them to go bad.<br /><br />I drink coffee all day long,,,,,,,maybe that is why I seem to be wired all the time......

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> <br /><br /><br />I drink coffee all day long,,,,,,,maybe that is why I seem to be wired all the time......
Well!! Are ya gonna tell us which is better?<br /><br /> Crimp or solder? :p :D

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

The best coffee maker in my opinion, is one manufactured by BUNN. In Canada, they are promoted heavily through the Tim Horton's franchise for end user retail.<br /><br />Advantages is that it retains water at a designated temperature and brews a complete pot in rapid time (<3 min). There is no comparison to the speed of a lesser cost brand.<br /><br />I believe the Bunn others refer to would be similar, offered direct and branded accordingly. They have a wide variety of models, ranging from basic up to commercial quality multi-pot systems.<br /><br />
2005-merchandise-brewer200.jpg
Tim Hortons (Bunn)<br /><br />
gr10b181.jpg
Bunn
X1354_200.JPG
<br />
bunnomatic-crtf5-pic.jpg

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

We have used a Black and decker programmable thermal carafe maker for the last 10 years and we tried them all.ITS THE BEST !! The coffee starts brewing just before we wake up and goes right into the thermal carafe and stays hot for hours without "cooking "the coffee which all coffee makers do.Cooking the coffee begins right after it is brewed and it sits on the heated coffee maker and cooks till it tastes like crap.As I said we tried them all,Krups,Bunn,Braun,etc.Plain and simple ,the B&D tastes the best from the first cup to the last.(sounds like a commercial)Especially when you get a pound of Dunkin Donuts coffee beans and grind them yourself. :)Charlie

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

oooo yeah!! I forgot about the Dunky-Donut coffee beans!!<br />A tad 'spensive, but well worth it at 5:30AM on a monday :)
58.gif

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Vlad, crimped or soldered, I'm still corroded and have lots of resistance. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.