Your favorite muscle car?

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, whats your favorite muscle car that you own or have owned in the past?<br />Mine in the past 23 years are:<br />1.1970 torino gt- 351c. This car was scary fast with the clevland motor built up alittle. It would easily smoke the tires in all 4 gears.<br />2. 1969 chevelle ss- 396. this was an ok car for speed...but i spent a lot of time working on it.<br />3.1967 Pontiac GTO- 389. This car i rebuilt the motor myself in the livingroom of my apartment.I think it is the nicest looking of the gto's and it was a fairly fast car.<br />4. 1970 AMX- 390. This was another fast car that i had the motor balanced and blueprinted. This was a 4speed ,2seater that had awesome hookup on the takeoff.<br />If i could go back in time and have any one car again , it would be the torino gt.You rarly see them around. I wrecked mine one night after bouncing off a bridge like a pinball.....guess i drank too much that night!!

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Your favorite muscle car?

Not as cool as your cars but I had a 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme. The 350 rocket was cammed. I miss that car. :( <br /><br />I had a 1970 Monte Carlo- looked good but some a$$ removed the original 396 and put in a 283. <br /><br />I now have a K-1500 which will beat most sports cars, so long as there is 2' of snow on the roads :)

Rickfifty

Seaman

My favorite is the one my buddies MOM owned. 70 Chevelle SS. She was 60something and bought it off of her 70something friend. Talk about babied! As far as one that I owned, it's gotta be the one on the side of my house. 69 Camaro SS 396 w/4sp, 4:10 rearend. Original paint(shot), original interior, not bad but needs headliner & carpet. I've owned it since 79. Has 106K on it. Rear main seal leaks on the clutch so it sits, waiting for a nice build-up.

Laddies

Banned

1967 Dodge R/T it would run the pants off the pony cars

cart7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang with the 351W. Loved that car.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Wouldn't call it a muscle car, but I had a '68 Torino GT back in the mid 70s. Notchback, midnight blue with a black vinyl top, black interior. 390 w/a4-speed--- wasn't real quick, but it sure handled nice after I put radial tires on it and some slightly offset wheels on the front end. Twas in very nice shape! Wish I had it now.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1970 Mercedes Benz 300SE 6.3.<br /><br />Didn't own it, but drove it for a week.<br /><br />I have also driven Shelby GT500, Hemi 'Cuda, 427 Galaxie and SS396 Chevelle.<br /><br />No comparison.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I had a 70 Mustang FB when in highschool. Never got to drive it to school as it was way too radical. I built it to the "pro street" style that was the rage in late 80's early 90's.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let's see '64 chevelle SS, '64 GTO, '69 camaro SS, '69 Buick Gran Sport convert., '70 Chevelle SS, '71 Hemi Charger, '70 Hemi Challenger ,now I drive a '93 Cavelier 2.2 liter, how life changes

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

1970 Dodge Coronet R/T convertible...440, 6-pack, 4 speed. Ordered it through special services before I left Nam. I've never seen another like it. Too bad I didn't have enough sense to keep it. Probably worth a fortune now.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

first one an old torino. fastest thing in my high school, but not the fastest i've ever owned.<br /><br />1970 mustang, 302 bored and stroked, 351w heads planed down, oversized valves, of course the cam and dual 4bbl holleys with a nitros fogger. Accel electronic distributor. Ford c4 automatic tranny with manuel valve body, motorsport steel 2nd gear sprag, 3200 stall converter. twisted the drive shaft in two first time out. would pull the front wheels 4 inches off pavement. Twisted the frame once doing a wheel stand off the line and broke the windshield. Was running Mickey Thompson tores on back that would not break and spin for anything. That car left the line like a jackrabbit with no spin or waste of motion. The best thing is the body was straight but just coated with grey primer. <br /><br />1969 Mercury Cougar XR7. 351 stock but very fast. I am currently ressurecting this ride now, my 15 year project.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My favorite is a 72 Hemi Cuda, with a 70 1/2 Camaro SS coming second.<br /><br />I also love the two cars in Bullit.<br /><br />Ken

KRS

Banned

1967 Mustang, with a '69 Windsor 351 (higher compression) engine, still had the terrible FMX? transmission. Velocity stack intake, roller cam and rockers, timing chain, and was working on the interior.

11 footer

Lieutenant

My favorit has my be my dad first car, although he still has it, I haven't seen it in years, its in storage waiting to get a new life once many years from now.<br /><br />Its a 1970 Mercury Cougar XR7 with a 428Cobra jet engine. They only made a few of them with the 428's from the factory, and this is one of them. Its light blue in color. I've never driven it, or seen it run right, but he says it was unreal back in the day.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Hey JB, methinks you're a little fond of the Benz's, no?<br /><br />The data I have for a 1970 300SEL with the 6.3 has it pushing 250hp and 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. <br /><br />The other cars you listed as "no comparison" far outpower it and outaccelerate it. (is outaccelerate a word?)<br /><br />No offense of course, just making an observation. And don't get me wrong, that 0-60 will still plant you firmly in the backrest. :) <br /><br />Favorite car I ever had was my 1975 Corvette. Ripped out the stock L-48 350 and built up a monster 355, 11:1 pistons, noisy cam gears (loved that), headers, big 4bbl, aluminum intake, Comp Cams 292H (sounded lopier than a harley). Hit the gas in that thing and hang on man. I had P295 (12" wide tread) rear tires with the posi and it still made the fog roll in if you nailed the gas. It was stupid fast. I sold it a couple years ago, never missed a beat for me. The guy who bought it called me later in the day he picked it up from the side of the road, saying there was a hole in the oil pan and the car was making a very bad noise. It kind of broke my heart that he killed it especially since I didn't really want to sell it (kid coming, wife pregnant and on the war path for my toys). No idea what he did to it, but I never heard from him again. I did take him for an 'agressive' test drive and we went over the car top to bottom so he knew he had nothing on me as far as trying to cheat him. He just broke it. Luckily for him I included the original L-48 in the sale. <br /><br />I miss that car.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1979 XD Falcon. With a 250 ci crossflow I-6, offset ground to 285 ci. Head was ported and polished, manifolds were matchported to the head. Triple Weber side drought carbs.<br /><br />Smoked all the v-8's in my neiborhood when I put it on the street. Broke 5 gearbox's though. Probably should have put a toploader box behind it, instead of the single-rail box's.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Back in '65 I had a '59 Impala that I installed a 425hp 409 in it. This thing had 2 huge AFB Daytona 4bbls on it, Z11 cam and 4 speed. I couldn't keep a clutch in it.... too much torque. I traded it for a '66 GTO when they came out. This was in Norfolk... a sailor bought it before I had finished the paperwork on the Goat. Man was he happy. 2 months later he totaled it around a tree on the way to Little Creek. I almost cried when I saw it. That car sounded so bad with that cam in it. I think it ran .030 clearance on the valves.... sounded like a pea thrasher and idled around 2000 with a killer lope. Man, cars used to be fun.

rwise

Captain

65 barracuda sport formula (factory hp engine 4 barrel carb 4 speed), still have and have owned it for 25 years. <br />64 sport fury convertible (4 speed also), wish I still had this one!<br />I am restoring the 65 now, well as soon as I recover (financially) from this &^%$ divorce. I always loved driving it, the way it handles etc. Stopped driving 17 years ago cause I burn up the engine, But I Have another now.

TilliamWe

Banned

1988 Ford Mustang GT, only because I got to drive it every day from age 17 through 18! And to all of you who say that only musclecars were produced in the sixties, try one of those Mustangs, they feel about the same!<br /><br />But era specific, and this is HARD for me to say, cause I am a GM guy, Any Charger Daytona or Superbird , but it's gotta have the wing! When/if I go to a classic car show, if there isn't one of those cars, then it's not a real show.