Terry Schiavo

simple

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I understand this topic may be controversial, but I for one am sickned by this event. I forgot what state it was, but someone got arrested for starving their cattle. We can starve a human being to death, but not animals? Also, how can Terry's husband be living with another woman, have kids with this person, and still say he loves Terry? Would you be with another woman knowing that your wife is still alive and sick? Not me. I don't care how long Terry's been in the state that she has, you just don't go off with another woman. What happened to the vows that say death till you part? In my opinion, I'm not so sure of the accuracy of Terry's husband saying that she want's to die. From all the info I gathered/heard, this is far from it. I don't think this guy cares about Terry at all. I can't even imagine what Terry's parents are going through. Let's pray for Terry and her family.<br /><br /><br />__________________

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Terry Schiavo

I know i will start something here but there is something to be said about "quality of life" I know i would not want to live like her. I am on the husbands side let her go and move on. It is a shame but how many of us would really want to be like her and have your loved ones hoping forever? Not me that is for sure

LubeDude

Admiral

The Deathacrats will have there way, but we can save the manatees, whales and other animals, but not humans. Texas just served a stay of exicution for a small technicality for an inmate on the way to being put to death for a murder he committed 14 years ago. They have saved a Lobsters life somewhere I just heard, What a screwed up world we live in. If the family wants her alive and are willing to take care of her, she should be allowed to live. I cant even shoot a sick cat here, and I bet I would get into trouble if I starved it to death. It all makes me want to puke!!!

ehenry

Commander

This whole situation drives home the issue of HAVE YOUR WISHES CONCERNING SOMETHING LIKE THIS ON PAPER AND LEAGALIZED!!! <br /><br />Had this been done there would be no litigation, no courts and such.<br /><br />Just my two cents worth.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Whether or not the parents want her to live means absolutely nothing. It's only selfishness on their part. They have no right whatsoever to prolong her agony if she doesn't want to live like that. If she said she doesn't want to be on life support then honor her wishes.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I disagree.<br /><br />I am old enough to contemplate complete disability as a real possibility and I will have none of it.<br /><br />Terry has been dead to true life for years. She told her husband to pull the plug if she was lost to living. The law gives him responsibility to make the decision. The tragedy is that it has taken this long to honor his decision.<br /><br />How many bleeding hearts would trade places with her? I doubt that you would get any non-suicidal volunteers.<br /><br />What she is suffering is being prevented from completing her natural death. It is way late coming, but she can now go the rest of the way to peace.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Excellent post JB.<br /><br />I dont like the way they are letting her die, but it is better than living in that condition.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

JB and I completely disagree.<br /><br />
She told her husband to pull the plug if she was lost to living.
That is complete heresay and probably a CNN edetorial.<br /><br />Been dead? Really? How do we know? Been there?<br /><br />Some of us have nothing but disdain for those of you (society) that wanted them (infirm) dead. Disdain warranted or percieved, still disdain.<br /><br />Her husband is "suspect", IMHO.<br /><br />But, we as a society are in love with death. We love death games, death choppers, etc. "good" nowadays is completely attached to the afterworld, the darker the better. <br /><br />A warning-history repeats itself.<br /><br />It doesn't surprise me that we can so "clinically" get rid of one.<br /><br />We won't condemn a certified murderer, but we'll gladly starve/dehydrate someone that has commited no crime other than being alive.<br /><br />God, I pray for our society. We're on a tail spin. We're following a pattern of man. Read history, it's all PERFECTLY clear.<br /><br />Any questions?

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB,<br />I would agree with you completely if all the facts were vetted in front of more than one judge; rather than one judge making a call and other judges not reviewing all facts of the case on appeal. The appeals have not been honestly reviewed in the true sense of an appeal: Appeals have been nothing much more than other judges not challenging their brethren. The Declaration of Indepencence, between paragraphs 2 and 7, addresses judicial abuse such as this in fabulous fashion, and we don't really want to have to go there. I understand the problem of government intervention into family affairs, and my family does not want it....unless requested..it is an option we should have. In this case,the family is ASKING for government intervention in disagreeing with a single judicial decision, based on words of one man, lacking evidence other than hearsay.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I for one thinks that euthanasia needs to become a legal option and let folks make their own determination, whether they make that choice publicly (with multiple witnesses) or by a other legal means.

D

DJ

jimchere,<br /><br />Judges were never thought of as having to make those decisions. Judges were appointed as to their ability to discern between guilty and not guilty.<br /><br />Nor, was Congress or the Executive Branch (President) created to do so.<br /><br />They were created to be a balance to the other. No one branch can override the other.<br /><br />However, we've lost site of that. We, as an American society have fallen in love with courts and the tort system. It means big $$$ to many.<br /><br />Thus, we think, that judges and courts are the be all, end all.<br /><br />So sorely mistaken, on societies part.

Drowned Rat

Captain

God, I pray for our society. We're on a tail spin.
I beleive just the opposite. Our country is slowly coming around to recognizing a patients right to die. Honoring Terri's wishes is the most compasionate thing we as a society can do.

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with BJ on the quality of life issue.<br /> When this all started about a year ago my wife and I had living wills made and I carry a card with me, as she does, copies with the Doctor, hospital and lawyer: as well as, every family member was givin a copy. We had talked about this issue; but, as this circus has shown: end all speculation get it in writing!<br /><br />I was watching FOX News and a guest had it right; this has turned into "a national reality show". I'm one who is sick of every minute by minute coverage.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

DJ, I agree with you on most of what you said. I'm not in the mood at the moment to discuss much more, but if you reread what I wrote above you may think the same.<br />Note: How quickly the thread I started several days ago, asking "What do you consider Due Process?" died.

Ralph 123

Captain

Drowned Rat - if she is in agony as you say, then think about how much agony she is in being starved and dehydrated to death. Where's the compassion and humanity in that?<br /><br />Let me just add this: I hope everything people on the "let her die" side of this are 100% right. That her "husbands" motives are pure and that he medical condition is as grave as some say. If her autopsy shows any signs of foul play or her medical condition is other than has been represented, the stuff is going to hit the fan BIG TIME.

Fly Rod

Commander

;) How do we know that she is in agony??? Have you heard her cry out at all, if so the volume on my TV must have been turned down!!! People in agony and pain cry or scream out!!!! If you don't think so just visit a nursing home!!!!!!

Drowned Rat

Captain

If you were stuck in a bed for the better part of 15 years, would you be in agony? It does not necessarily denote pain. Stop for a second and put youself in her shoes. And those shoes are the only ones that matter.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I heard something the other day about a statment one of her doctors made saying that she can not feel pain.<br /><br />This is a terrible situation, but at least thinking that she isn't in pain starving to death makes me feel a little better about the situation.<br /><br />I feel horrible for her and the family though. This is way past due.

D

DJ

Drowned Rat wrote,<br /><br />
I beleive just the opposite. Our country is slowly coming around to recognizing a patients right to die. Honoring Terri's wishes is the most compasionate thing we as a society can do.<br /><br />
Oh yeah, we're in great shape. Abortion on demand, death to those that can't speak, kill, kill, kill. ANYTHING that is CONVENIENT for the minions. Just hope you don't become a "minion" in Janet's eye. Our governor will "take care" of you too.<br /><br />With the reasonig for killing the infirm, as stated above, we all deserve to be killed.<br /><br />But, we won't be slaughtered, as long as we vote Democrat.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) The majority of the population will pass on the same way as Terri!!!! That's Life!!!!!<br /><br />The best way to go is probably a massive heart attack!!!!<br /><br />The other best way would become a Utah citizen and hope you can lift the fluid to your lips!!! ;) :cool: