Terry Schiavo

D

DJ

Re: Terry Schiavo

It looks as if she will be denied her "last rights" which is part of her (and family) Catholic faith.<br /><br />The unleavened bread is considered food and the wine, liquid nourishment.<br /><br />What happened to the so called seperation of church and state?

D

DJ

It looks like we succeded.<br /><br />We didn't "let her pass". We KILLED her. Starved, dehydrated-to death.<br /><br />We have criminal prison time for people that do that to animals. A gross overenpowerment by the judiicial branch.<br /><br />We should be VERY ashamed.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

There is now only one more judge she needs to stand before. This judge will try us all one day. I would not want to be in Mr Shiavo's shoes on that day.<br />I hope she is with God.

gonfishn

Commander

Anyone remember the movie Soylent Green..Its closer than you think..

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Now he has said there will be an autopsy, when she dies, to prove to everyone that she was in such a state as not to ever recover, or something to that affect.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) DJ<br />Don't say we killed her!!!! I know that I didn't!!!<br /><br />You should feel guilty since you believe "YOU KILLED HER"!!!!!! and please don't put me in the categorey of being ashamed!!!!!<br /><br />You shouldn't be drawing anybody else into you feeling ashamed!!!!!<br /><br />Go to a church and say 5 hail marys and 10 act of contristions and maybe you will be forgiven!!! ;) :cool:

D

DJ

flyrod,<br /><br />You can't divorce yourself from society. Society sanctioned the barbaric act of starving/dehydrating her to death.

hohmanr

Seaman Apprentice

Docks can often be a lot like a bar.. The subjects of religon and politics ought to be considered beyond the pail... This sad sad subject has both...We should all say : enough said....

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Sure, we all want to look at the humanitarian aspect, but there is also a LEGAL aspect that MUST be followed. We cannot, absolutely, under no circumstances, repeat CANNOT give her a lethal injection. It would be the very definition of murder.<br /><br />We can allow a person to pass away naturally, even if it's painful.<br /><br />As a society bound by laws, we cannot commit murder, we cannot give her a painless injection. We can let her body destroy itself, but WE cannot destroy it for her.<br /><br />As for the other consideration, is death the right outcome for her? Honestly, I think it is. It's been 15 years, she ain't gettin any better. There's a fine line between hope and foolishness, and I think that line was several years back.

Wes L

Recruit

This will probably be debated for many years to come, but in the end, the consequences of the decision, whether good or bad, rest with the husband, and should have from the beginning. If you believe the Bible, it says that when a man and a woman are joined in marriage, that they are one with each other and that they are to leave their father and mother. They are no longer joined to the parents but to their spouse. Parents are to LET GO of their children when they get married. That doesn't mean that they have nothing to do with them, but that they are no longer joined to them. That is why the marriag ceremony typically incudes a family member, usually the father, GIVING AWAY the bride. This means that the decision should have been the husband's from the start and if it is a wrong decision, he will be held accountable for it. We can pray for the family, but only the husband knows what Terri said or didn't say. Like it or not, it should be his call.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just learning that there is a real possibility that death by dehydration/ starvation might not by cruel & painful, even for those who are not in a vegetative state.<br /><br />Excerpt from first article:<br /><br />[After suffering through cancer, the middle-age woman decided that her illness was too much to bear. Everything she ate, she painfully vomited. The prospect of surgery and a colostomy bag held no appeal.<br /><br />And so, against the advice of her doctors, the patient decided to stop eating and drinking.<br /><br />Over the next 40 days in 1993, Dr. Robert Sullivan of Duke University Medical Center observed her gradual decline, providing one of the most detailed clinical accounts of starvation and dehydration.<br /><br />Instead of feeling pain, the patient experienced the characteristic sense of euphoria that accompanies a complete lack of food and water. She was cogent for weeks, chatting with her caregivers and writing letters to family and friends. As her organs finally failed, she slipped painlessly into a coma and died.<br /><br />In the evolving saga of Terri Schiavo, the prospect of her suffering a slow and painful death from starvation has been a galvanizing force. But medical experts say going without food and water in the last days and weeks of life is as natural as death itself. The body has its own resources to adjust to death, they say.<br /><br />"What my patients have told me over the last 25 years is that when they stop eating and drinking, there's nothing unpleasant about it -- in fact it can be quite blissful and euphoric," said Dr. Perry Fine, vice president of medical affairs at the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization in Arlington, Va.]<br /><br /><br /> http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/nation/11228321.htm <br /><br /> http://www.dyingwell.com/prnh.htm <br /><br />Regardless of one's views as to whether she should have been taken off of fluids and nutrients, we can all hope that the result was something similar to what's described in the above articles as compared to what our natural (although uninformed) intuition might be.

D

DJ

Wilkin, wote: <br /><br />
As a society bound by laws, we cannot commit murder, we cannot give her a painless injection. We can let her body destroy itself, but WE cannot destroy it for her.<br /><br />As for the other consideration, is death the right outcome for her? Honestly, I think it is. It's been 15 years, she ain't gettin any better. There's a fine line between hope and foolishness, and I think that line was several years back.
-When does law trump morality?<br /><br />-15 years? Would it have been 15 years if her husband had not banned therapy? Ther are too many sworn witnesses that say she had a chance.<br /><br />This "disposable" society is starting to severely sicken me.<br /><br />Babies-kill em'.<br /><br />Infirm-kill em'.<br /><br />Old-(who's call)- kill em'.<br /><br />Wake up people. This is NOT the country I grew up in.