Splinter from pressure treated 2 x 4! Gulp!

WizeOne

Commander
Do I recall a thread regarding drastic consequences of getting a splinter from pressure treated wood? Well I just got one in the web between my thumb and pointer finger.

I was able to pull it all the way out. I squeezed it to make it bleed as much as I could then rinsed it in hydrogen peroxide. I sure hope that is all there is to it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Splinter from pressure treated 2 x 4! Gulp!

No it will not do.
You must pressure treat your finger

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Too late! Your arm will turn green and start to dry out causing warpage. The only known cure is to head to Home Depot for a bottle of Pressure Treated Wood Splinter Pressure Reliever. If that doesn't work, jam a splinter in your big toe...you'll forget all about the one in your hand:D. Not to worry WiseOne, you are probably referring to when it had arsenic in the treatment. I think now they are required to use zinc oxide or something like that. I get them all the time. You will live!!!

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

On the plus side, your finger will never rot now that it is "Wolmanized". :D
Seriously, just keep it clean and you should have no problem, I've had a million "Treated" splinters (old stuff, new stuff it didn't matter) and I've never had a problem.

Yet.

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ny hands are so scared from splinters, keep it clean, old days we used a little turpintine, or mineral spirits.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

The still give arsenic to old horses and skinny people to make then hungry and gain weight.

Any sudden cravings for pizza? Oh wait..that is from another drug.:D

At least you will be well preserved!:eek:

The big question that is on everybodys mind is not if you will survive, not if you are in pain, not if your medical bills will be covered, but was it working on a boat????

Speedy recovery.;)

WizeOne

Commander

..... but was it working on a boat????
.;)

Unfortunately it was not, it was rebuilding a rotten side yard gate to the boat yard.

Thanks all! Glad to hear that I will live to be able to poke someone else on this forum.:p

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

OMG! Run don't walk to the nearest emergency room where they will put you into a chemically induced coma until a cure can be found. No time to waste! :D

WizeOne

Commander

OMG! Run don't walk to the nearest emergency room where they will put you into a chemically induced coma until a cure can be found. No time to waste! :D

You laugh Mark, but I know I heard somewhere that someone got a splinter from pressure treated wood and their ???? swelled up like a balloon....and no, I did not read it in the National Inquirerer.:p

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks all! Glad to hear that I will live to be able to poke someone else on this forum.:p[/QUOTE]

Have fun on all our accounts. Most of our oxen have been gored so many times it is impossible to get them to turn! The more scarred they are the more they seem to laugh.

Pop always told me no to take life too seriously. I'm counting on you now to remind me of that!:D

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

The bad news is your digit will swell and get very sore, the good news is it's just from the bacterial infection and a few days later it will be back to normal.

Coors

Captain

Now, the smell of that fester (you can't smell it) will draw wombat babies.
That' not good for your yard, or the neighborhood. Hell, that's not good for anybody.
Or am I thinking about a Dingo?

i386

Captain

old days we used a little turpintine, or mineral spirits.

I got treated with:

kerosene for cuts and scrapes
chewing tobacco for insect bites
and diesel fuel for jellyfish stings

It's a wonder your generation didn't kill all of mine.:D

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

I got treated with:

kerosene for cuts and scrapes
chewing tobacco for insect bites
and diesel fuel for jellyfish stings

It's a wonder your generation didn't kill all of mine.:D
Made you tough didn't it?

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

My mom would have put Vicks Vapo-Rub on it... or Campho-phenique (sp?). and then the next day a dose of Castoria.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Seen people for years power sawing TW, no dust mask, then sitting around a fire burning the scrap....far as I know, there alive and dumb as bricks still.
I HATE splinters! Got a piece of rotted wood stuck under my fingernail a long time ago at work (old pallet).
Nurse couldn't get it. Kept disintegrating. REALLY painful. It worked it self out with time. I wear gloves a lot now...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

There was a guy on these forums a year or so ago who canned his boat restoration project because of two incidences where he had bad reactions from wood splinters (in his elbow I think) that had fungus in them. He ended up in the hospital both times if I remember right. As I recall, his wife convinced him to sell the whole mess.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

If WizeOne quits postin,,,,,then we know to take those splinters seriously :D

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Now, the smell of that fester (you can't smell it) will draw wombat babies.
That' not good for your yard, or the neighborhood. Hell, that's not good for anybody.
Or am I thinking about a Dingo?

Dingo ate ma baby! :D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Wire brush and varsol !!!!!!
Cures anything so I am told.......... then there is the windex method !!!!!