What states don't allow kids sitting at the bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expidia

Commander
I'm in upstate NY and it's so frustrating that NY or at least the dumb restaurants I seem to go to allow kids to sit at the bar or worse yet in the past, I've even seen babies in diapers plopped up on the edge of a bar while the parents are waiting for a table.

Last night we went out for a drink in a restaurant (Grey Gelding, Saratoga NY) and the parents had moved several bar stools away to make room for their stroller and then the Mother was holding a 2 week old baby as she was feeding it from several bottles that she had lined up on the bar.

I think in MA where I grew up State laws forbid kids to sit in the bar stools or hang out in the bar area.

But in New York when we want to just sit at the bar and wind down with a drink and maybe eat dinner at the bar, many times we wind up sitting next to some little kid.

I don't dislike kids, I just dislike seeing rude parents letting them sit at the bar especially after 8 or 9 PM. Seems vacation spots like Saratoga as an example . . parents figure it's OK to annoy everyone by letting their kids run around the restaurant or sit on the bar stools???

So does your state allow children to saddle up at the bars :mad:

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What states don't allow kids sitting at the bar?

I gotta say, I think you do dislike kids. I mean, come on, who's it hurting for them to let their kids sit next to them at the bar?

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with disliking kids. Until I became a parent, I did too.

I'm just saying though, I think you're a little too sensitive about this. Now if the kid's talking to you or kicking your chair or something, then I can understand. Otherwise though, you need to just get over it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i Florida, it is up to the bar owner, if kids are allowed. law says the must be accompanied by parent. imho, i is better for them to be in the bar, rather than sitting in the car, waiting. my exwife, and BIL, were left in the car for hours, while their parents were in the bar drinking, and partying.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

In Washington there is a divider between the bar area & the dining area in restaurants......
No one under 21 in the bar area....
& no children after 9PM.....
Taverns that do not sell real food are over 21 only.....
I think it is a good rule, but they should raise the drinking age to 30......:)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

i Florida, it is up to the bar owner, if kids are allowed. law says the must be accompanied by parent. imho, i is better for them to be in the bar, rather than sitting in the car, waiting. my exwife, and BIL, were left in the car for hours, while their parents were in the bar drinking, and partying.
Anyone who leaves their kids in the car while they are drinking in the bar should go to jail for child abuse IMHO.....:mad:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

total agreement. that was in the dark ages of the early 50's.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, things were different then.....;)
I used to sit right at the bar with my dad drinking soda while he had a shot & a beer in NJ circa late 60's.....:)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Here they have to be accompianed by an adult. I agree that its bad taste. I remember at 16 going to the bars to play pool. Nobody bothered us because we ordered our Coke/Dr. Pepper and played 2-3 games then left. There was no place else to play so we went there. I don't think I'd be able to do it now.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

No law like that around here. I think they have to be out of there by 8 though. But, that may just be a rule made by the bar owners. I'm not sure it's a law. We used to go in and play pool as kids too. And, I see some still do. But, most bar owners will say you have to be accompanied by a adult.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Most bars in Ohio, you have to be 21 to enter (or at least surpose to be). Those that bring their kids are there to eat and leave. If they sit and drink with the kids there, ususally the barkeep will either ask them to leave or call the law.

Growing up, my dad would visit the local bars and take me along (50+years ago). He would let me have a sip or two and hand me a handful of dimes to play the bowling machine. I don't recall if I ever sat at the bar itself or seeing other kids at the bar. It may have been one of those unwritten laws or a courtesy thing not to have you child at the bar.

With the busy bodies of today, there is no way I would jeopardize me or my kids by going to one. I find it somewhat ironic that people look down on this while their child at home is on an unsupervised computer seeing things that I didn't see until I was 16.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

NC no - but they can be in bar area, like a table or booth

VA yes

There are two threads going on here though

1 kids at bar -

2 - rude parents with kids...which is a never ending saga..

tomatolord

Expidia

Commander

I gotta say, I think you do dislike kids. I mean, come on, who's it hurting for them to let their kids sit next to them at the bar?

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with disliking kids. Until I became a parent, I did too.

I'm just saying though, I think you're a little too sensitive about this. Now if the kid's talking to you or kicking your chair or something, then I can understand. Otherwise though, you need to just get over it.

Oh I don't hate kids, what I hate is inconsiderate parants . . . So it goes without saying I'd probably hate your kids who would probably be sitting behind me at a 9 pm movie kicking the back of my chair :D

Expidia

Commander

In Washington there is a divider between the bar area & the dining area in restaurants......
No one under 21 in the bar area....
& no children after 9PM.....
Taverns that do not sell real food are over 21 only.....
I think it is a good rule, but they should raise the drinking age to 30......:)

Sounds like my kind of state! I think Boston where I grew up had the same laws (34 years ago). I don't know if it's still like that. And MA is one of the most liberal states in the country . . . go figure :confused:

I'd like to get out to Seattle the next time i'm on the West Coast. My Daughter a few months ago, was thinking of moving to Portland OR area until she found out it sometimes rains 6 months of the year!

Expidia

Commander

Most bars in Ohio, you have to be 21 to enter (or at least surpose to be). Those that bring their kids are there to eat and leave. If they sit and drink with the kids there, ususally the barkeep will either ask them to leave or call the law.

Growing up, my dad would visit the local bars and take me along (50+years ago). He would let me have a sip or two and hand me a handful of dimes to play the bowling machine. I don't recall if I ever sat at the bar itself or seeing other kids at the bar. It may have been one of those unwritten laws or a courtesy thing not to have you child at the bar.

With the busy bodies of today, there is no way I would jeopardize me or my kids by going to one. I find it somewhat ironic that people look down on this while their child at home is on an unsupervised computer seeing things that I didn't see until I was 16.

"It may have been one of those unwritten laws or a courtesy thing not to have you child at the bar".

That's a good point you bring up . . .

In my opinion, that's one of the problems today . . . Parents are not brought up anymore with courtesy or consideration for others or they just don't give a %*#%.

What concerns me more then seeing a little kid sitting next to me at the bar quiet or not is that this childs getting this warm fuzzy feeling as he sees his parents laughing and drinking and having a good tiime. And then they wonder how some kids become alcolohlics when they are teenagers and beyond.

Take the same kid to a library and the parents are not laughing there and having a great time, so if you were a kid . . . which time leaves you with a fuzzier feeling as you are growing up . . . Seeing your parents yukking it up at the bar a few times a week or getting dragged to the library ???

I see the same type of things at the Saratoga Race track (the oldest track in the country) . . . It's a big time around here for family picnics at the track each racing season. Warm fuzzy times remembering their child hoods at the track. Good times for many of the local kids around here. They recount to me what fun it was spending their summers at the race track with their parents and who knows how many turn out to be addicted to gambling!

I can see taking kids to a "fairground" where they might be a race track, but at a fairground at least there are rides and games. At Saratoga the only thing there is racing an drinking! I think when I grew up in MA the racetracks did not allow kids under 18 or 21 of age?

Expidia

Commander

Nice parents . . . Last weeks news carried a storyline where the cops stopped this women driver for a possible dwi and when they looked in her back seat she had a case of beer strapped in with the seat belt. Pretty smart . . . but the cops concern was next to her strapped in case of beer was her toddler who was not strapped in :D

So using another poster's logic . . . if this women's next stop was plopping that same kid next to me on a barstool . . . this must mean I hate women too since I just brought up her news story . . . and he was such a nice kid too, didn't kick my chair or noth'in like that :p

Expidia

Commander

NC no - but they can be in bar area, like a table or booth

VA yes

There are two threads going on here though

1 kids at bar -

2 - rude parents with kids...which is a never ending saga..

tomatolord

Ya Toma . . . I should have titled this thread "which states have rude parents with kids" hahahaha

Actually, I really do want to know which states have those no kids in the bar rules, so when I plan vacations out this summer those are the states I'd give first consideration too when spending my vaction dollars!

We always used to give first consideration to restauants that were smoke free too. I can't believe France is going "no smoking". I don't think I've ever seen a Frenchman without a cigarette :) We also love going to Montreal, but in years past every restaurant and bar was a fog of smoke. I think they are moving towards smoke free too finally. Don't think I ever seen a kid sitting at a bar in Montreal either and I've probably been there 30 plus times!

We always like to eat at the bar on vacation since you meet so many nice people like the locals and tourists too.

This way one can get a lot of local area info from the locals as to great restaurant finds and things to do etc that are not in the brochures.

Especially when it comes to places to go boating!

Expidia

Commander

Same in CA.

Tables or booths are fine with me too, as long as they are not screamers!

We Love CA vacations . . .

I also like vacationing in the past in NC ... if that's their bar rules, they will be on my short list of vacation stops. Almost moved to Charlotte. But it's too far from the coast and needs another 5 years of growth to become a little more cosmopolitan as compared to a city like Atlanta which was another choice I looked at to move.

On another note the last time we were in the NC area we also spent some days in SC in Charleston.

Great place Charleston. Would like to do some boating there!

But what's up with only "pinch bottles" like the airlines served at every bar in SC???? Seems like a total waste of natural resources!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Actually, I really do want to know which states have those no kids in the bar rules, so when I plan vacations out this summer those are the states I'd give first consideration too when spending my vaction dollars!

Bar rules are a criteria for planning a vacation?? Uh-oh.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Humm.........

See- I told ya I was learning. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.