Any home-brewers here ?

jeff92799

Seaman Apprentice
Just curious. I'm just getting into it. I'm starting with a batch of hard cider because it is the least complex. Beer is next on my list. But the cider is super easy to make. Upon research on the net, and at a few local brew shops, there is people that go all out and have stills and stuff in their basements :D <br /><br />Anyone here whip up their own beers,wines etc ?? Any tips for a beginner? <br /><br />Oh and my cider recipe is as follows. <br /><br />5 gallons apple cider (fresh pressed) <br />2 lbs dark brown sugar<br />2 lbs honey<br />1 packet champaign yeast<br /><br />Basically just melt a gallon of the cider down with the sugar and the honey. Add it to the fermenter with the rest of the cider, let it sit one month, then bottle :) <br /><br />I'm interested to see how it comes out. It's supposed to be a rather strong recipe. Like, 10-11% alcohol :D

11 footer

Lieutenant
Re: Any home-brewers here ?

One of my uncles does it, he make's mostley beer.<br /><br />You have to remember that its very strong stuff when its done.<br /><br />I few kids that I go to school do it because they can't buy the stuff. You only need alittle to get drunk out of your mind.

tylerin

Commander

Many years ago. When you start hearing BOOM...BOOM...BOOM..BOOOOM .....grab a mop

jeff92799

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah i know its gonna be very strong. But i think it will be more of a sipping beverage than a "pound it down until your rocked" type deal :D <br /><br />And about the bottles exploding, I've been warned about that as well. I've heard that bottling too early will cause that. I think I'll be extra careful not to do that ;)

mattttt25

Commander

have made about 10 batches so far, some great, some used to clean the hull of my boat. stick with proven recipes until you get the hang of it. sterilization is the most important part. clean EVERYTHING with a 10% bleach solution, then rinse extremely well. careful when bottling, too full or too much primer = boom! the most important part is have fun and make sure you always have a cold one in hand during every step.

jeff92799

Seaman Apprentice

""the most important part is have fun and make sure you always have a cold one in hand during every step.""<br /><br />Best advice i've heard all day :cool:

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello,<br /><br />I've been brewing for a couple of years. It does make strong stuff - so I cut myself off after 2 or 3 bottles ... they are usually 16 oz bottles though.. ;) <br /><br />Keep everything CLEAN! The smallest bit of bacteria will grow quickly in beer and ruin your whole batch.<br /><br />I've found that the super-complex recipies usually don't turn out as good as the simple ones.<br /><br />Online brew shops usually sell you stale stuff - find a good local place. If you don't have a local place, I've used this guy before (who's local to me) - www.jaysbrewing.com. His shop is set up in his basment - you walk downstairs and he's got kegs and kegs and kegs of stuff he's brewed.<br /><br />I always get a few buddies over when I brew and we drink beer throughout the process. It makes it much more fun.<br /><br />The most important thing is to have fun though. Don't get too serious about it. If you run out of one kind of grain - use something else (ANYTHING else...throw in some sunflower seeds..chocolate..whatever you have laying around). The worst part is waiting for the beer to be done. Some batches take quite a few weeks but have fun - It's really hard to make bad beer! :)

ZmOz

Captain

I'm currently working on building a still for vodka...because I can't buy it. :D :p

one more cast

Captain

I was at an antique show and found a still that looked like it was barely used for $75. Got to thinking why it was barely used? Maybe the builder died from his first batch? I didn't buy it! My Dad said when he was a growing up they would test the hooch by droping a drop in a hot iron skillet and and if it burned orange they would toss it out.??? thats what he told me. I've made both beer and wine when I was younger, keep the mop handy. :D

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

My brother and I have brewed a few batches.<br />I like the really dark beers and you can make better dark beers then you can buy economically.<br />We made some Mead one time. A brewed honey type beverage. Believe it or not it came out real dry, and we were not pleased with it.<br /><br />Cleanliness in everything. We did not use bleach water to cleanse with, we usd Tri-sodium phospate. Can't remember what the resoning was for that.<br /><br />If you are concerned about bottle bursting just put the cases inside large plastic boxes and cover with newspaper.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> tried it years and years ago. no patience anymore:).<br /> the best book I ever read on brewing was a book written by university students interviewing mountain folk in the appilaichains. books are a series. best one is Foxfire. they have step by step drawings on a 1 and a 55 gallon still. complete with tips to elude revenoors :) :) . if you have never read the Foxfire book series it is highly recommended. written byfolks that dont trust governments or laws much and with good reason. they are the last of a vanishing breed of independant folks.<br /> good luck and keep posting

lundboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jeff, here is my advice: I've brewed for the last 7-8 years.<br /><br />Like several have said, #1 rule is to keep everything steril, else your batch will go off.<br /><br />next is temperature and light, keep it dark (foil around the carboy will work) and in an enviroment that has very stable temps, no drafts, etc.<br /><br />don't go cheap on the yeast.<br /><br />an oversized pot will be a life saver. When it starts to boil, it will rise **** fast, if you don't have a big enough pot, it'll boil over. and that stuff just don't smell good burning on the stove.<br /><br />Get all the right equipment, don't try to use something you already have laying around the house that looks like it might work. Its just easier to go get the right equipment.<br /><br />I don't use bottles. I have kegs that are 1.25 gallons. You should be able to find them at your local brew store. 4 of these and you have your 5 gallon batch taken care of. Much easier than bottles and they fit nice in the fridge, like a gallon of milk. The down side of the kegs is that you'll end up drinking your batch faster... if you consider that a down side. If you go bottles, try to find bigger bottles, 16oz, or 22oz. It'll take fewer of them and when it comes time to clean and fill, you'll be glad you have the bigger ones.<br /><br />Other than that, don't be afraid to jump right into the beers and play around with the cooking times etc. to get the flavor you want.<br /><br />Good luck.