i dont want to start a war here, but chrysler outboards.

jeff92799

Seaman Apprentice
has anyone here ever had one? what was you're experience with them like? <br /><br />im asking out of curiousity because i just accquired a free motor. a 1970 (?) 55 hp. i've had two in the past and would never ever spend money on one again. the first one was a 90. on my larson. we bought the boat, put it in the water and a fuel line broke. fixed that then 2 days later a ring expoded and severly scored the cylider wall and peices of the ring melted to the top of the piston. <br /><br />the second one was a 35 hp. it kicked something in the lower unit and jumped gears like crazy. then a few months into the season snapped a rod. <br /><br />i got this motor off of a buddy and im told it runs good, and i have a 16 ft ebbtide bowrider i think im going to use it on. But im concerned with the reliability of the motor because its going to be for my 15 year old cousin. <br /><br />what have your experiences been like with these motors ???

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: i dont want to start a war here, but chrysler outboards.

Mine is a 45hp chrysler from 1967. Runs great and have only had minor problems with it in the last 5 years. Only problem is finding parts for it when you need them. The only work I have had to do was replace diaphram in fuel pump, rebuild carb and replace fuel lines. Nice thing about them is they are pretty simple to work on.

RJM

Cadet

I don't think you will start a war; because I suspect others, who have had older Chrysler outboards probably have had some very bad experiences too. (Are they still made?) In the mid 1970's the department I worked for bought a new Chrysler skiff with a 25-hp Chrysler outboard and all we ever did with that engine was work on it. If that engine had more than 25 hours on it when it was surveyed, I would be surprised! I spent so much time paddling that skiff back to the dock you would have thought it was a canoe. On the bright side,..... your cousin is going to become a fine mechanic.

jeff92799

Seaman Apprentice

no they arent made anymore i dont believe.<br /><br />and the ebbtide has been sitting in my backyard for about 4 years without power. its been under a cover and its in good shape, I just want it the hell out of here !!!!<br /><br />so it looks like i'll bolt it up and if he beats it until it catches fire or puts a rod through the block, so be it. I'd rather have that happen than all the little things every other day because ill be the one that will be working on it constantly. <br /><br />i dont know, ive just never had good experiences with them

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Decarb frequently.<br />Use plenty of oil in fuel- deal with the smoke.<br />Keep everything adjusted and maintained properly.<br />Get what you can out of it.<br />Bury it deep when it dies.<br /><br />A slipping clutchdog in the lower unit will put lots of stress on the upper drivetrain, and may have caused your broken "rod?". An adjustment of the shift linkage may have prevented it.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Moving to Chrysler and Force questions.