Twas the night before Christmas

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer
Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone, <br />In a one bedroom house made of plaster & stone. <br />I had come down the chimney with presents to give <br />And to see just who in this home did live. <br /><br />I looked all about a strange sight I did see, <br />No tinsel, no presents, not even a tree. <br />No stocking by the fire, just boots filled with sand, <br />On the wall hung pictures of far distant lands. <br /><br />With medals and badges, awards of all kind <br />A sober thought came through my mind. <br />For this house was different, so dark and dreary, <br />I knew I had found the home of a soldier, once I could see clearly. <br /><br />I heard stories about them, I had to see more <br />So I walked down the hall and pushed open the door. <br />And there he lay sleeping silent alone, <br />Curled up on the floor in his one bedroom home. <br /><br />His face so gentle, his room in such disorder, <br />Not how I pictured a United States soldier. <br />Was this the hero of whom I’d just read? <br />Curled up in his poncho, a floor for his bed? <br /><br />His head was clean shaven, his weathered face tan, <br />I soon understood this was more than a man. <br />For I realized the families that I saw that night <br />Owed their lives to these men who were willing to fight. <br /><br />Soon ‘round the world, the children would play, <br />And grownups would celebrate on a bright Christmas day. <br />They all enjoyed freedom each month of the year, <br />Because of soldiers like this one lying here. <br /><br />I couldn’t help wonder how many lay alone <br />On a cold Christmas Eve in a land far from home. <br />Just the very thought brought a tear to my eye, <br />I dropped to my knees and started to cry. <br /><br />The soldier awakened and I heard a rough voice, <br />"Santa don’t cry, this life is my choice; <br />I fight for freedom, I don’t ask for more, <br />my life is my God, my country, my Corps." <br /><br />With that he rolled over and drifted off into sleep, <br />I couldn’t control it, I continued to weep. <br />I watched him for hours, so silent and still, <br />I noticed he shivered from the cold night’s chill. <br /><br />So I took off my jacket, the one made of red, <br />And I covered this Soldier from his toes to his head. <br />And I put on his T-shirt of gray and black, <br />With an eagle and an Army patch embroidered on back. <br /><br />And although it barely fit me, I began to swell with pride, <br />And for a shining moment, I was United States Army deep inside. <br />I didn’t want to leave him on that cold dark night, <br />This guardian of honor so willing to fight. <br /><br />Then the soldier rolled over, whispered with a voice so clean and pure, <br />"Carry on Santa, it’s Christmas Day, all is secure." <br />One look at my watch, and I knew he was right, <br />Merry Christmas my friend, and to all a good night! <br /><br />Author:<br />James M. Schmidt<br />Lance Corporal <br />Washington, D.C.

Stratosfied

Ensign
Re: Twas the night before Christmas

I thank God that tonight somewhere there are soldiers. May God bless them all.<br /><br />Merry Christmas to all!!! :)