from the sons of the Confederate soldiers

bubbakat

Captain
It was the evenin' before christmas, and all round my<br />place nothing was stirrin', specially my old dog<br />"Ace"I'd cut us a cedar; we'd fixed it with care<br />Figgerin' St. Johnny Reb was gonna stop there.<br />Momma was fixin' ambrosia; I was sippin some bourbon.<br />The kids had gone to the mall, or some place urban,<br />When out in the yard I heard such a commotion<br />I just had to see, I was so struck by the notion.<br />Ambled over to the window--not a mad dash--<br />pulled up the blinds, rubbed the fog off the glass.<br />Twinkle lights on my rooof gave a warm friendly glow,<br />So I could see clearly al the objects below.<br />And what the Sam Hill did I see by the pool<br />But a ramshacked wagon pulled by a plug mule!<br />With a a long lankey driver so laid back and slow<br />I knew who it was-- Saint Johnny, for sho'!<br />He was followed by hound dogs, a whole pack, a real<br />slew.<br />He yelled and he whistled, told'em what to do.<br />"Here, Lady! Here Tiger! Here Penny! Here Lou!<br />Go Sam! Sic'em Rattler! Good dog, ole Blue!<br />Go round the porch, look out for the wall,<br />Come up mule, we got a long haul!"<br />Like a cotton boll poppin' open under a bright<br />Southern Sky,<br />Ole mule tugged at the harness, just made the wagon<br />fly.<br />They charged up to the front porch in a style like ole<br />Jeb*<br />Johnny knocked on the door, said, "Can I come in?"<br />He had a big sweeping moustache, a gotee on his chin.<br />He was dressed all in gray, yes, that what I said,<br />Even had a gray kepi on his old bald head.<br />He was toting a box nigh big as a golf cart,<br />That sucker had more stuff than they do at Wal Mart!<br />He shook hands with me, called momma "Hon."<br />Said "Can't stay but a minute then I gotta run.<br />Can't eat no catfish nor pecan pie.<br />Gotta put down these presents then I gotta fly."<br />A plug of tobacco was stuck in his jaw.<br />He looked round the room and said, "Lordy, Law."<br />His lips was a smiling, his jaws just a workin'.<br />His eyes was a twinklin' like a coffee pot a perkin'.<br />Just a good ole boy, lanky and long,<br />Looked any minute he'd break into song.<br />Whistling "Dixie" and nodding his head<br />He went right to work without a word said.<br />Then he finished his task with no more fuss<br />Walked to the door, sais, "Now y'all come see us!"<br />Climbed in the wagon, told the mule to "Gee haw,"<br />Pulled out his plug and bit off a chaw.<br />But I heard him say, since he was right near,<br />Merry Christmas, Y'all. Have a big time, Y'a hear!"<br /><br />compliments of Dr. Bradley<br /><br />=====<br />1st Sgt. Ron Neale <br />8th/16th Tennessee "Regt"