More sue happy people- rediculous.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: More sue happy people- rediculous.

The key word in the story was "settlement".<br /><br />$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

roscoe -<br />You are so right. Did they mention the settlement? Nope. Come on, give us all the information, inluding the settlement.<br />Bassy

Link

Rear Admiral

Roscoe said it all<br />$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$<br />In the "old days" It was protection money. Yea, you pay us and we will protect you from Us! <br />Now it's the Slimeys doing the same thing but calling it settelment (out of court) same thing with a new name and tactics.

Link

Rear Admiral

Evening Bassy<br />Looks like we were typing at the same time :)

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Link <br />Yep<br /> :) <br />It's nice to see some some Pacific Time people.<br />Nice to see ya.<br />Bassy

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Legalized extortion, in my view. :(

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

what do you call 1,000 lawyers at the bottom of<br />the ocean???? a good start.

rwise

Captain

I found out the other day, that I have been involved in a class action,,, and won! I did not know until I got a check. Know it's time to get in the truck and drive 15 miles into town, go to the bank and cash the big check I just got. Lets see 15 miles each way @ 15.9 miles per gal. @ $1.30 per gal (today) for my great big $0.23 check. They realy could have just left me out!<br />Richard

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

wonder how much the lawyers made rwise?<br />a bit more than .23 I suspect.

Fly Rod

Commander

Lawyers have ruined this GREAT COUNTRY of ours. They say that the only good lawyer is a ---- lawyer. Our fallen comrades that fought for freedom must be rolling over in their graves.<br />The latest one that I watched on t v last night on Hanity & kolms was a lawyer suing to have christmas trees removed from fire stations "talk about a Grinch"<br />What does a christmas tree have to do with chruch and state.<br />What do you exspect when your legislators are LAWYERS and go along with this bull----.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Grrr...This is one of my big pet peeves, It just grinds me to no end. Why dont the children of california counter sue on the basis of being deprived of the basic pleasure of life...Homemade cookies. All this idiocracy based on a speculation. Give me a break! Perhaps they could go for unspecified damages and this morons licensce. We would all owe them a debt of grattitude. Wheere do I send my donation for the "free the great american cookie legal defense fund"

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I deal with this mentality constantly on my projects in California. However, I don't understand why this became such a crusade for this guy.<br /><br />The article said he started going after this product when he was a "prosecutor". I presume he worked for the government at that point. It is hard to imagine much money being available chasing after these suppliers. Especially when they all settle quickly and the dollar amounts "lost" by the individuals is not all that significant.<br /><br />I'd bet that someone he knew choked on one of these or swallowed enough of them to cause toxicity. He probably started the crusade because the manufacturer's were in complete compliance with the law.

Ralph 123

Captain

Has anybody seen the great commercials with the slick lawyrer going around to people eating chips and cookies ans stuff saying, "How would you like to make a lot of money...?" Great commercials that show the complete insanity of it all.. Glad to see people fighting back.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So you folks think it is a good idea to offer products containing heavy metals into our food decorations? for our children to eat?<br /><br />Maybe we should bring back lead paint as well? Without the lawyers, we would no doubt still be painting children's cribs with it.

D

DJ

Whaler Proud,<br /><br />It became a "crusade" because it involved CHRISTMAS :eek: decorations. :(

Ralph 123

Captain

PW how in the world can you be concerened about dragees which have never been shown to do a single bit of harm to a human being and be ok with leaving a murderous madman in power with WMDs in Iraq? Common sense man, common sense. It goes a long way, ya know?<br /><br />Although, having now read the article, I have to admit it is plain stupid to make the things out of real silver -

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Hey PlyWoody--your 11:56 post regards toxins in our "products"---I am on board with that as an example of use of an equitable legal system.<br /><br /> I am not an board with suits that some trial lawyers present before the courts as a meer monetery gain, but suits that recover near term (ie, damaging practices were done receintly) damages due to business greed are very appropriate.<br /><br />Merry Christmas All-- :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Im not so sure about all the lead, Murcury, asbestos and whatever poisoning that is suppose to effect us all! How did any of us ever growup to post on the forum! I used to play with murcury when I was a kid, held it in my hand, polished quarters with it with my fingers! :eek: No learning problems, Made it throught the military working on nuclear weapons with a paper suit and rubber gloves!!<br /><br />OK, so now you all know whats wrong with me!! :D <br /><br />LubeDude

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do we have some frivolous suits brought that should not be brought, by unscrupulous lawyers? Of course.<br /><br />We have a court system to decide which are frivolous, and which are not. We sure don't need politicians and special interest groups to decide this. Institute a program in the courts that provides that an individual bringing a lawsuit determined to be "frivolous" be required to pay both sides legal fees--I have no problem with something like this.<br /><br />However, a person has a right to be heard in court, and things like class action can serve a very useful purpose- in that an action by someone or some corporate entity that causes a relatively small harm to a large number of people ought to be held accountable. If a lawyer makes money on it, so be it.<br /><br />Sometimes they are justifiable, and sometimes not, but I trust the judicial system to decide which is which, and it keeps in check those that would do harm to an unsuspecting public.