Your first car

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer
What was you very first car? Mine was a 1949 Chevy hearse. Had a little sliding glass window behind the front seat. I never could figure out why. The only way into the back was from the back door, no side doors. The back was all upholstered in dark purple velvet. It was so big you could hold a party. I paid $15 for that car and had more fun in it than in any vehicle I've ever owned. Wish I knew LF in those days, the memories would only be better.

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Re: Your first car

1937(?) Ambassador Nash. There was more room in the back than my bedroom, (and a little more action too).<br />The next was a little Nash,(mid/late 50's ?) convertible, good two tone paint, sort of sports, 2 door, no back seat to speak off. I may be incorrect but it may have been made in the UK.<br />Cheers<br />Phill

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

1962 chevy II nova<br /><br />I had to put plywood over the floors to cover the holes, passenger half of the seat was gone just metal springs. back seat was gone 2 milk crates did the trick. driver doors only opened from inside, while rear passenger door never opened. hood latch did not work, pull strap had to hold it down. I could go on and on, but you get the picture.<br /><br />Man i loved that car!! Lots of memories

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

'67 Chevy Nova, small block, 3-on-the-tree, black pleated dash & upholstery, new paint & new tires. Paid $1000 for it. Had it 3 months before the transmission let go. Sold it as is to my cousin for $400. He put a new tranny in it, stick shift, and sold it for $2200.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

the very FIRST car was a 57 Fury I bought for five bucks from the insane guy across the street, has the 331 Red Ram engine ... <br /><br />when my buddies and I pushed it across the street into the yard, my mother had a fit, and told us to push it RIGHT BACK, RIGHT NOW!!!<br /><br />we were 8 at the time ... hehehe<br /><br />the first keeper was a 68 Caprice I bought in 77 at the ripe old age of 15, 250 bucks with a 307 PowerSlide tranny, lol, sweet car actually, problem was I couldnt drive til I was 17, so I wore ruts in the front yard, and borrowed the plates off the wagon more than once for some late night rides ...<br /><br />my gf of the childhood days heidi was more than just a little uncomfortable about being in the front yard, lol, I never could get that whole back seat thing down right, but now, when I finally got a VAN ... <br /><br />but the mods would get up in arms, so Ill shut up now!<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D :D

aspeck

Staff member

a 72 Pontiac Ventura with 225,000 miles. Had a little fender-bender in the snow, the telephone pole won. Got a Bonneville front fender from the junk yard, so now I was driving a gold Ventura with a Green Bonneville fender - my Venaville! Great car, man, that car would move. Last I knew, it had about 350,000 miles on it and was running pizza delivery! <br /><br />From the Venaville went to a '67 fire engine red Catalina Convertible, a white 72 Fiat Spider Convertible, a 76 LeMans, and then a red 77 Firebird (with several other cars that were thrown in there for a week or 2 before switching). When I went off to college I settled with a 77 Buick Century. That got me through the first couple years of school. Then back to more sporty cars.

FLATHEAD

Commander

First car was a 66 VW fastback. Stick, Two tone tan and rust :D . It was a good car till pop took it out for a spin, He came back and said the motor was knocking a little. He ripped her apart and that was the end of that car. I sold it with the engine in piece's in the back seat for more than 50$ I bought it for. Took the dough and got me a 67 Torino GT fastback and that was my first attempt at a resto, it turned out pretty good.

one more cast

Captain

1962 citrion DS19, I was 14 and got it by rakeing leaves. That thing was cool, had to shift it like a manual but had no clutch pedal and you could adj. the ground clearance (or ride confort)with a leaver on the dash. I used it as a lot car.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Flathead, my first car was one of those 67 Torino GT's. It had the 302, but was taken out a replaced with the 390. It took while for my manhood to get to the point of using all of the accelerator that was available. <br /><br />SS

D

DJ

Mine was a 1970 Buick Gran Sport 455 Stage I.<br /><br />My brother had caved in the front end. My dad said that I could have it, if I could fix it.<br /><br />One week later a new front clip was on it and paint soon followed.<br /><br />I loved that car. It was REAL quick. 370 HP with 525 lb. ft. of torque.<br /><br />I remember laughing about my mothers comments on it after she drove it. She said it had "a lot of pep".

tylerin

Commander

59 Chevy p/u, I think someone painted her w/ a brush. Had a 350 smallblock and Turbo 400 trans. Went through alot of tires on that heap :D A real chick magnet <br />
Had a little sliding glass window behind the front seat. I never could figure out why.
Mr Ladyfish, I'm thinking that was for the wonderful Aroma coming from the back

crab bait

Captain

a 9 year old '64 ford ltd'.. bought an insured with my paper route money..<br /><br />it was beat but had factory clear plastic seat covers... tore 'em off ,first thing.. <br /><br />old car with brand new seats..

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My first car was a 1966 Simca 1000 that I bought for $100. <br /><br />47 cubic inches of snarling fury, with blow-by so bad that it would pop the dipstick out.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I didn't have a car as a teen, joined the military right out of high school and was sent to Germany for two years. Came back and bought a brand new 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby Turbo. It was pretty fast, had horrible torque steer, and the monthly insurance was more than the car payment.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

For being the only child out of 5 to go to college I got a choice of two cars to take with me: a Toyota Tercel or a Celica. I took the Tercel. I got the pink slip the day I graduated from college. It's still going 22 years later. :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

1954 Ford F-100 pickup. Had the 250 6cyl and went thru more oil than fuel.<br />A real rust bucket that I paid 50buks for, and drove for 3 years until I thought I allready put oil in, but actually didn't...sniff.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1949 Dodge 4 door.<br />1957 Desoto with fluid drive.<br />1965 Tang.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

It was a 4-door 55 Chevy Bel-Aire factory demonstrator car, loaded with factory AC, power tune radio, power windows-seats-steering-brakes, 265 power pac engine with dual exhausts, 4-barrel carb, and optional oil filter, a lousy 2-speed slip-o-matic tranny, some kind of funky looking sun shield over the wind shield, paid a $125 and ran it for years. Then I beat it to death and junked it,,,,,,,,,,,, :D

LadyFish

Admiral

My first car was a 1967 Barracuda (about 8 years old when I got it). That thing would truck through snow like nobody's business. It turned into quite the mosquito fogger too with the amount of smoke coming from it. I used to pull into the gas station and say "filler up with oil and give me a couple of gallons of gas".<br /><br />Then I got smart and got a boyfriend with a Ford Torino GT. She was sweet. Red with a white top convertible. It could blow the doors off all our friends cars back then. I raced my grilfriend once who had a Cobra, same Cleveland engine, beat her top end until the drive shaft broke at 130 mph, fell on the brakeline and nearly rolled it end over end. The rearend of the car came right straight up in the air, I saw my life pass before me, but the car finally slowed down enough to make it drop. Ah, the good ole days. If my Dad ever found out even today, I would be grounded for life. :eek:

FLATHEAD

Commander

Ladyfish, Not so many years ago I blew a drive shaft outta my 67 chevy panel truck. This thing had a worked 350 and I never bothered to upgrade the two piece drive shaft. I was cranking it on pretty good one day and when I slammed 3rd gear it sounded like a bomb went off. People actually came out of there homes to see what had happened. By the time I got to a stop and walked back, some dude was carrying half the shaft and said "I think this belongs to you" :eek: