Libya to destroy all WMDs

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Libya to destroy all WMDs

Yes, I was not trying to be sympathetic to Saddam but only to show what kind of predicament he got himself into. And clearly he got himself into it.<br /><br />Still, there is no way he would have retained power as long as he did without being like he was, which is part of the reason I am not very hopeful at the prospects of democracy in this region.<br /><br />Power is what these people understand, and all will take advantage of power if given the opportunity. With three opposing tribal groups all vying for power, with usually some sort of religious justification for their point of view, there aren't very many Madison's or Franklins or the like over there, I am afraid.<br /><br />Democracy (or a representative republic) is a difficult, fragile form of government. It is based on the notion that majority rules, while at the same time guaranteeing the rights of the minority to have a say in government, and specific rights to individuals under a rule of law.<br /><br />Even in this country that has over 200 years of practice, it can be difficult to maintain this delicate balance between these fundamental principles--we even had someone suggest on this board the other day that the US constitution was all about "majority-rule" which of course it most certainly is not.<br /><br />The idea that somehow, with no history of or understanding of what it takes to maintain a democracy, Iraq will form a workable democratic government is quite a stretch, in my view.<br /><br />I personally think that while the insurgents are a big problem in Iraq, of course, especially to our troops that are currently over there, the biggest question and problem we face is what kind of government will rise up from Saddam's ashes, and will it be better than what was there under Saddam?<br /><br />Personally, I hope so, but it is a crapshoot, in my opinion

Ralph 123

Captain

The role of founding fathers will be played by the United States Army w/ help from other US agencies and nations. Once the people see the possibilities and embrace the program it will take root. <br /><br />If we were to cut and run, then you would be correct, there would be civil war which could end in either 3 states or one strong dictator.<br /><br />Since the Turks would never allow an idependent Kurdistan they would enter the fray. Iran would enter on the side of the Sheites. That would leave the Sunnies in deep doo-doo. Sooner or later most people are going to realize they best thing to do is give peace a chance.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Give peace a chance? They've had several thousand years to realize that--perhaps a few more is what will do the trick!<br /><br />And the US Army as founding father? I'm not sure of that one. It's hard to argue that you want the Iraqis to pick and run their own government, and then tell them the US Army must approve of their choice.<br /><br />There is no doubt the US Army can maintain peace, once the insurgents are finally neutralized. But we have to leave sometime, and these people have fought for centuries over their ideals--they aren't about to forget them while the army is there...We'll see.<br /><br />Unfortunately I don't see a good alternative to that plan, even if I don't think it will work.