How can I get a gas tax return??

ZmOz

Captain
I remember a post a few months ago saying it was possible, in some states at least, to get a tax return on the money you spend on gasoline for your boat...since you aren't using it on the road. Can anybody tell me where I might find more information about this? Burning several hundred gallons every summer this could be quite a bit of money... :) :rolleyes:

Homerr

Commander
Re: How can I get a gas tax return??

if it's possible, I'd sure like to know!<br /><br />But then again, don't steal from the government... They hate competition! :D <br /><br />H.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Could the post have been about US citizens visiting Canada?<br /><br />If so, you are entitled to a rebate on some of the 2 taxes you pay while there. (GST and ?ST) Save your receipts, get them stamped at the border ( even though they will say you don't need to), fill out the form, mail it in, wait for check.

Link

Rear Admiral

ZmOZ I remember that post.<br /><br />It had some good links on it to help you<br /><br />roscoe: Very much the same as when we travel to Canada.<br /><br />Except that it delt with US road taxes (for repairs etc) That you are not running your boat on. <br /><br />The reason it rang a bell with me is because when we owned a business in the 90's I had to break all stuff down between personnel and business for our tax lady. (I named her the Warden as she was the only person keeping me from having a real Warden) <br />ZmOZ:<br />In our state for pleasure craft it is like 4 cents on the dollar so I never bothered with it. But if it could be considered a business trip.. I paid for everything and kept all records, including tips! It's called fishing for free! :) <br />Yes during those years I took a lot of customers fishing... :) <br />But this is on a small scale... I had a lot of customers who owned and still do 38-48 foot boats and if they have gas engines it's nothing to burn $500 to $700 worth of fuel a day! That doesn't include the 2-3 person crew...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Back during the 70's in Ohio, we was able to get a refund on road tax from gas. However it is one of those things that was done away with. To me it falls in one of those gray areas of taxation without representation. They said the other day Ohio is behind New York and New Jersey on high taxes. :( <br /><br />There still maybe some states that offer refunds on road tax. I think it was more of a federal thing back during the days of cheap gas.<br /><br />SS

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello ZmoZ<br /> here in NC you just have to save all the reciepts from the marina or keep a log of the boats operating hours and its a standard deduction. I dont mess with it cause its to much hassle for the money. its to hard to keep my commercial use seperate from plerase.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Geeze. I just buy marked gas for my boat. Pay the same for premium as I do for regular in my truck.<br /><br />Now I know the station is reaping as the gas tax is a lot more than the difference between reg and premium, but it's a lot cheaper than buying on the water.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I don't believe we have "marked" gas in the US, only "marked" diesel.

ZmOz

Captain

Yeah, I was going to ask, why do we only have off road diesel? I guess too many people would be burning it in their cars....

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Off road diesel is higher in sulpher content and that is why it is marked for off road.<br /><br />Not a good idea to run it in your regular vehicles for very long. It will start plugging up things that are not suppose to be plugged up.

ZmOz

Captain

I used to know a guy that drove a diesel tanker...he would fill his truck with diesel and offroad diesel from the same place, and then add the color once it was in the truck. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea you can do that, but it still don't/won't make it any lower in sulpher content, plus he was breaking the law.

Homerr

Commander

I hear they will string you up by your 'jewels' if they catch you burning the marked diesel in the US.<br /><br />So, as a casual boater, could I get in on this gas tax return?<br /><br />H.

scamper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, marked diesel is used in reefers on trailers. When you get a roadside DOT check, they will sample your main tank to see if you are burning the marked fuel. Not good if they find it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I have a friend who runs a fuel delivery service. The tank on his truck has two parts. One he uses for offroad diesel and the other is taxed. He say's the fuel is identical but he gets it from the depot already dyed. Apparently, if you use dyed fuel it will leave vaporous colored residue in the engine compartment. They don't really even have to sample your tank to tell if you've been using it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Boomyal, I ran a tanker for many years and I do know then that the fuel was different.<br /><br />It has to do with the sulpher content, or use to anyway, but who knows today, but it still illegal to run off road diesel in an on road vehicle.<br /><br />And they will catch you, it's just a matter of time.