Sqf2000

Kiwi Phil

Commander
The dreaded event has arrived.
We have to do SQF2000 Level 3 for our business.

Paid my $5,500, been told to download the 72 pages concerned, read thnru asnd become familiar with it all, then they tell me to draw up a Policy Statement.

So questions are:
1. is there anyone on this board who has done one of these for either their employer or themselves?
2. does anyone have an example of a Policy Statement I can sort of look at and poach ideas.

I would have thought for the money I spent I would get someone who would do all this for me.
From the reading I have done so far, this is going to take a lot of time so any help would surely be appreciated.
Thanks.
Cheers
Phillip

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Sqf2000

I'd like to help by at least giving you cheerleader support,Phil, but I have no clue what a "SQF2000 Level 3" is.
Sounds like one of those mandatory government beurocratic impediments to capitalism, like the large buisness penalties placed on American buisnesses we have here.
Good luck with it, and "dont let the bas^ards win" if it is! :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Sounds like one of those mandatory government beurocratic(sic) impediments to capitalism

Exactly! And as a side benefit, it might prevent e-coli in spinach and other produce, e-coli in ground beef, mad cow disease, and maybe even melamine in wheat gluten. All at the high cost of mandatory government bureaucratic impediments.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

That sounds like the ISO (International Standards Organization) thing we have here in the USofA.

So your "Mission Statement" would be a highly idealized phrase or paragraph about your business commitment.

Where I work now we have:

****** strives to provide the highest possible quality product with complete customer satisfaction.

Good Luck with all that stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

G'day, mate.

non illigitimus carborundum

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Exactly! And as a side benefit, it might prevent e-coli in spinach and other produce, e-coli in ground beef, mad cow disease, and maybe even melamine in wheat gluten. All at the high cost of mandatory government bureaucratic impediments.
And even given the fact that I had no clue what it meant, I'm STILL hopefull overcomes their efforts at squashing productivity... Godspeed and all ahead full ,Phil!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It's one thing to have to spend that kind of money for equipment or processes to meet reasonable standards but....$5500.00 AU to simply respond to government mandates? Sounds a bit anti-business to me. Is it time for an Australian Tea Party?

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

It sounds a lot like the HACCAP regs we have over here, identifying possible contamination areas in your production and putting checks or systems in place to eliminate the danger. There a pain in the butt and take up a lot of time but realy very simple when you get started.

I've been involved in a few, the best job I saw was were the guy had maped out his production on a graphset flow chart, each step of the chart was numbered and everything he did from there on was referanced to those numbers, his system was easy to understand.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Richard.
Good to hear from you.
Thing is, I have never seen a Policy Statement.
I have tried to find one on a web site to no avail.
I am sort of floundering around so seeing one or more would be of great assistance.

Bart.
Yes it is along same lines as ISO but I don't think a Mission Statement is the same as a Policy Statement. I don't know.

SQF 2000 has me implementing a management system, encompassing pre-requisite programs and good practices in order that my product meets food saftey legislation and customers specified requirements. It is a HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) to level 3.
As a side issue, I already have a program in place, pretty much identical, but I would guess it is time for a change, seeing everyone has a program in place, and the Implementing and Auditing Industry need a injection of funds to maintain their important lifestyles, so lets make everyone pay again.

Cheers
Phillip

tommays

Admiral

Hi phil

Hows the water going :)

My wife does ISO 9001 and my plant does FDA GMP (good manufacturing practices)

In both cases it is about haveing a way you do EVERYTHING from checking things when they arive at your plant to washing your hands :)

I have books and books to follow :eek:

One of the big dangers is makeing rules that cannot be followed on a day to day basis

They need to WIDE enough to allow flexabilty without breaking any BIG food saftey rules

Tommays

Coors

Captain

Just enter part of a paragraph, change the end. Use big words, home free

Kiwi Phil

Commander

OK Chaps, this is what I have found/copied/written.
Don't laugh, the Auditor thinks it is excellant

LETTERHEAD (and I don't even have one of these)

QUALITY POLICY STATEMENT

xxxxxxxxxx is totally committed to providing customers with safe quality food.

To achieve this objective, management has implemented and maintains a Food Quality Plan based on the SQF 2000 Code ? A HACCP Supplier Assurance Code for the Food Industry.

Our objective is achieved by the following methods:
? employing skilled staff with commitment and an understanding of quality and food safety as it relates to our products
? outsourcing of expert knowledge where considered necessary
? controlling all outsourced consultants and contracted operations
? providing resources to achieve safe quality food that delights our customers
? ensuring the freshness and food safety integrity of our product at all times
? constantly researching and reviewing opportunities for improving production and marketing methods
? a commitment to continuous improvement in production processes and the Food Quality Plan generally with a focus on the environment.

The management and staff of xxxx are totally committed to proper adherence to the requirements of the SQF 2000 Food Quality Plan.

xxx
DIRECTOR AND QUALITY MANAGER (Jeeeeez, I'm just Phillip)

xxx
DIRECTOR ANDFARM MANAGER (again, Anita is Just Anita)

The games we have to play.
And it dosn't make me feel good or important either.
Cheers
Phillip