AUGH! I'm hit!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It was bound to happen eventually.

Out on the porch for a smoke and to watch the hummers fight.

Zinnnnng, BANG! One of the little beggars nailed me on my right temple. He dropped but didn't hit the floor before he recovered.

It was a lot like getting hit by a mad marshmallow. :)

Fishstick1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: AUGH! I'm hit!

OK... I got a chuckle out of the marshmallow thing. but what the h*** is a hummer?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

MEDIC!!!!!

I imagine the hummer was just as surprised!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

JB, quit letting them drink out of your scotch and their flying won't be impaired.

In one of the counties around Cleveland, they have been giving pigeons a corn that makes them drunk. These pigeons get so wasted, they fly away and can't remember how to get back home. It doesn't kill them because of the activists, but now someone else has to deal with droppings.

So how many of the hummers do you have now at the Hidehout?

OldMercsRule

Captain

OK... I got a chuckle out of the marshmallow thing. but what the h*** is a hummer?

To JB's polite, honorable and worthwhile generation it is a "hummingbird". To the generation that followed, (not so polite n' all), it's a special type o' **! (Ya know Bill Clinton didn't cornsider it sex n' all.) :D :D JR

JB

I must have about a dozen pairs right now. Mostly blackchinned and one or two pairs of rubythroats.

First feed in the morning and last feed at sundown is when the most gather at the feeders. I often count up to ten before I lose track.

By late summer. . . last week of August and first two weeks of September add two broods of young and there may be as many as a hundred warring over the feeders in the AM.

Great entertainment. :)

Coors

Captain

My hummers aren't here yet, but the wrens that love to use my boxes and half-empty paper bags on my shelves, in my shop, are back with full force this year.I can be 4 feet away, from the future nest, and they keep buzzing by my head- that paper bag needs more nesting material. They train the babies to fly in my shop, with no predators. But those babies sit on my 1070 Duster and poop heavily.

Last edited:

rwise

Captain

Good thing it wasn't one of these :D
images

Coors

Captain

Now, this AM, wife tells me the wrens are not in my shop anymore, as they are building a nest in the cat's box, high on a shelf in the utility room. Hours later. I see 2 back in my shop, building in the 2 paper bags. I seem to have more wrens than I knew of. But like hummers; so cute.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well this thread has convinced me to get feeders; hung two today . . .

We have a decent size covey of Quail that visit us every day, I've been working with seed and a pond/waterfall/spring type deal for about five years and it paid off. I saw a hummer feeding within an hour . . . :) How long till I get turf wars? Oh, and these came with little perches that can be removed . . . What's the perch consensus? Yea or nay?

aspeck

Staff member

Got about 6 of the buggers that usually visit here - not yet though. They sure are fun to watch

JB

Keep the perches, QC.

If you have cool mornings, below about 60*, the little fellers suffer a body temp drop when they make their first pit stops. That will sometimes put them in a trance-like state for a minute or so. A perch will keep some of them from dropping like a stone. I have picked up, warmed and released as many as 4 on a chilly morning. It does them no permanent harm and it is an awesome experience to get a close look at them.

I don't know how long it really takes to build up a swarming population, but you will get wars as soon as there are 2 pairs that want the feeder(s) at the same time. I think I had fights over my first feeder, 17 years ago, within days of putting it out.

Enjoy. :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thanks and we do have cool mornings like that, so we'll see . . .