gun control proposal from the Toledo Blade

KaGee

Admiral
Re: gun control proposal from the Toledo Blade

Two of the greatest tragedies in our history involved no guns.

Oklahoma City.... fuel oil and fertilizer.

WTC 9/11... airplanes and box cutters.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

You are right.You have a constitutional right to bear arms and I do not want that to be changed.Abortion is also a constitutional right and you want that to be changed.Either the constitution is beyond reproach or it is not. You cannot have it both ways.
But just to put things in perspective.George Washington was a slave owner and he did not think that slave ownership was wrong.If your reaction to that is, "Yes but times and morals change" you might find yourself on thin ground concerning your right to bear arms

Wow, going back a couple hundred years to try to make a point. Now that's a true lib for ya!
Guess we all should move into log cabins with no power to save the world cause that's what Abe did. Get real. Times to change, and we change with them, but killing a baby is still murder to those of use with a conscience.

Your trying to compare gun control to abortion is juvenile at best.

ricksrster

Commander

If the American citizens of the 1770's weren't armed we'd all be speaking English with a funny accent like a Monty Python movies or Benny Hill.
Our right to bears arms is to protect us from our government from assuming too much power over our freedom. We learned about that because of the government of King George III and the Parliament.
If anybody thinks that a totalitarian government can't happen here, wake up and look at the rest of the world. Iran, the former Iraq, Viet Nam, etc. Germany was a republic before Hitler. Hitler convinced the people he was better qualified to take care of people than they were themselves. One of Hitler's first moves was to disarm the citizens to make the streets safer and lower crime. Once the citizens were disarmed he was unstoppable.
But as for me, give me liberty or give me death.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Uh, the thought of them coming into my house to search is a bit frighting? Geeesh, Our men are trying to rid weapons in Iraq. So do they really think they could do that here? How many are going to die fighting to keep their arms? Thinking about their search (or battle) in WV and KY would be interesting. There is places in those mountains law enforcement won't go presently.

Besides,,,,,,,,,Global Warming is going to bake us first..........(joking of course)

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

You oughta see northern maine.

drewpster

Commander

I think the root of the gun debate lies in our concepts of freedom. Some seem to think that the law can be a tool we can use to prevent gun violence. We use the law to punish crime therefore they provide a deterrent. This form of thinking is dangerous in my view. Laws do not provide moral direction. Laws only provide a means of protecting the public by adjudicating criminals individually, separating them from the rest of us. They do not prevent anything. Speeding tickets do not prevent speeding.
No reasonable person says there is no need for law. Of course there is a need. But when those laws infringe on our rights they no longer are a means of justice but become tyranny.
Kings rose to rule because the subjects needed protecting.

Skinnywater

Commander

......You have a constitutional right to bear arms and I do not want that to be changed.Abortion is also a constitutional right and you want that to be changed.Either the constitution is beyond reproach or it is not. You cannot have it both ways.
But just to put things in perspective.George Washington was a slave owner and he did not think that slave ownership was wrong.If your reaction to that is, "Yes but times and morals change" you might find yourself on thin ground concerning your right to bear arms

Except that......and honestly think about my arguement please.

The liberal is put together a little differently than a conservative and this is a perfect example.

The conservative has been sensible regarding being armed. It's practical not to have fully automatic weapons or armament. That and other compromises are made. The liberal is forever on the march to TAKE more.

On abortion the liberal wants partial-birth, late term, tax payer funded, for minors without parental notification, quick and convenient termination proceedures. And it is they who forever are on the march to become even more obscene about it,without compromise.
The conservative is forced to have their tax money used on abortions where the question of "when does it become a living human?" isn't even in doubt. The right to privacy or choose as allowed then becomes not so private and not so much of a choice, even on religious/moral grounds to a conservative.
So it seems "cannot have it both ways", is worse being that it is more like, the liberals want it all.

On your other perspective;
There were some pretty fair clues that the framer's knew full good and well that slavery was bad.
It was the very Constitution itself that gave moral compass to the abolishionists to force change. The very words in the Constitution were used in arguement to wiegh opinion and change. Witness the evolution of the people to embrace the Constitution, not change it. Subsequent ammendments (13,15) regarding slavery weren't even needed. The words "All men are created equal" make those redundant.

I'd argue that changing (decaying) morals has been the result of liberal interpetation of their "living document". Changing a Constitution in times of decaying morality by those responsible for the decay will result in a substantially worse Constitution.

BTW, Rubberfroggie/OMR, you call me a liberal?
I gotchor librohl riiiiiightt here.....

Bondo

Staff member

Special squads of police would be formed and trained to carry out the work. Then, on a random basis to permit no advance warning, city blocks and stretches of suburban and rural areas would be cordoned off and searches carried out in every business, dwelling, and empty building.

I find it hard to believe that even the Liberals,..........
And,... Especially the ACLU would allow This to Happen..................

treedancer

Commander

Maybe we should just enforce the laws that are on the books.

For starters we already have laws that anyone that applies for get a concealed carry permit should not have any mental defects, so I guess whoever wrote this article would not be able get one.

<< Quote
Special squads of police would be formed and trained to carry out the work. Then, on a random basis to permit no advance warning, city blocks and stretches of suburban and rural areas would be cordoned off and searches carried out in every business, dwelling, and empty building. All firearms would be seized. The owners of weapons found in the searches would be prosecuted: $1,000 and one year in prison for each firearm.>>

Most of my driving in this country is now west of where I live, on the banks of the Mississippi. In the past I was driving and delivering all over the country with the exceptions of Alaska and Hawaii.

It didn't [FONT=&quot][/FONT] take me long to realize that it could be harmful to you if you weren?t armed, and took a wrong turn in some cities. Think Cabrinini Green in Chicago, parts of Los Angles, think Watts, Parts of New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, I could go on and on.

I started out with a thirty-eight police special t and now have a Glock. When I carried the thirty-eight I wasn?t legally allowed too carry, now I?m legal at least legal in the state of Missouri, don?t know what reciprocity Missouri has with the other states that I drive in don?t much care.

What I do know is it has saved my bacon on numerous occasions , in one case I was in an area making a delivery where the cops wouldn?t come if there weren?t two to a car. That was in Chicago?s Cabrinni Green, made a wrong turn and a bunch of thugs tried to get me stopped by loitering in the middle of the street. Put that hog leg on the dash, grabbed another gear and we were off too the races.

Needless to say I made it, but it got a bit hairy after a while. Got back to the interstate stopped a cop car and told them what happened, all the cop would say was he was glad I made it out alive.:(

My point is I will be carry this weapon legal or not, if need to be I will let the lawyers sort thru the details.

"Qualifications" I could meet any that they throw at me, but as long as we have nuts like "Cho", and the party that wrote the above snipped delusional article.Just enforce the laws we have, that would go a long way in getting the guns out of the hands of the people that should t have them.

I could take him some places in his hometown and drop him off and tell him I would pick him up on the other side, bet he would say no thanks. If not I could take him about forty, fifty miles north on I-75, let him out at the Dearborn Mi., exit #43 he wouldn?t have to go any further that about end of the get off ramp and he would get mugged.

if he made it back too T town he most likely would be looking for a arms dealer, at least if he had any brains thats what he would be doing. Maybe he wouldn't,he seems to be a rather strange bird.:confused:

GlasstronJim

Seaman

The problem is someone slipped a provision by that says even if you have a green card or temporary visa you can buy a gun here. We have been fighting this carp with all sides for years. We have to start over and define what it means to be a citizen!!! 5 Years ago before we bought our acreage I had to go to the local shooting range to hone my skills, I always took my steel sillohettes with me. I was sitting there waiting for range to cool off to go get my steels, and all of a sudden my wife said that sounded like metal ting, I walked up and looked and saw 5 big holes burned through my steels!!! Everyone pointed 4 benches down at the 5 mexicans with their newly aquired bushmaster ar-15s, I said did you shoot my targets, they all just smiled and said no seniore. Well the range master saw what happened come over checked their CARDS and wrote them each $150 tickets and sent them on their way. With their assault weapons!!!! Just burned me up, and 2 hours of welding to fill the holes in!

Bondo

Staff member

My point is I will be carry this weapon legal or not, if need to be I will let the lawyers sort thru the details.

Danm TreeHugger,........ You Sure Ain't sounding like the Liberal that you Are.............

I picked That Quote, 'cause I'd Hate for you to be sitting in Jail while all this Bargining is going on,.......
That IS where you'd be.....

I spent 10 years Trucking shore to shore in the lower 48.......Then I took a Job, running a couple of Wharehouses in the Bronx, 1 of which was in Hunt's Point, South Bronx.......

I Always carried, a Legal, as well as Lethal HandCannon,..........
Totally Legal, Anywhere in the World,.... Even NYC or DC or Windy City............
I suggest that You consider doing the Same Thing, before you find yourself in a Pokey somewhere..........

Curious Yet,..??..??.......

It's 1 of These,......... 12ga, with a range of about 250',....
And the "Bullet" Burns for 6 seconds at 3000*...............
You can Barbecue your Adversary from the Inside, Out.........
175px-Flare_gun.jpg

treedancer

Commander

Quote Bond-o

Danm TreeHugger,........ You Sure Ain't sounding like the Liberal that you Are.............

I picked That Quote, 'cause I'd Hate for you to be sitting in Jail while all this Bargining is going on,.......
That IS where you'd be.....

Like I said on my post Bond-O, I stay west of the big Muddy, im for sure legal any place I go now.

<<Quote

You Sure Ain't sounding like the Liberal that you Are>>

Your words not mine.:D

OldMercsRule

Captain

You are right.You have a constitutional right to bear arms and I do not want that to be changed.

You are right here Rolmops, it is a "Constitutional right" directly from the big fella: "self evident" to all but those without brains.

Abortion is also a constitutional right and you want that to be changed.

Wrong here Rolmops, the Constitution is only 20 pages long!! I DARE YOU TO FIND THOSE WORDS ANYWHERE IN THE DOCUMENT. This is what FDR taught this great Republic to do, when the Liberals want something as they did in the 1930s, (far more government then the Founding Fathers allowed), and the mid 1970s, (killing the unborn for lifestyle choices), just have some intellectually corrupt jurists make it up from their "living breathing document". It is called "tyranny from the bench", and one of the major reasons voters should never support most modern Democrats.

Either the constitution is beyond reproach or it is not. You cannot have it both ways.

Please read the document before lecturing us.

But just to put things in perspective.George Washington was a slave owner and he did not think that slave ownership was wrong.

Wrong here too, He released all his slaves to freedom at his passing.

If your reaction to that is, "Yes but times and morals change" you might find yourself on thin ground concerning your right to bear arms

Respectfully, JR

OldMercsRule

Captain

Except that......and honestly think about my arguement please.

The liberal is put together a little differently than a conservative and this is a perfect example.

The conservative has been sensible regarding being armed. It's practical not to have fully automatic weapons or armament. That and other compromises are made. The liberal is forever on the march to TAKE more.

On abortion the liberal wants partial-birth, late term, tax payer funded, for minors without parental notification, quick and convenient termination proceedures. And it is they who forever are on the march to become even more obscene about it,without compromise.
The conservative is forced to have their tax money used on abortions where the question of "when does it become a living human?" isn't even in doubt. The right to privacy or choose as allowed then becomes not so private and not so much of a choice, even on religious/moral grounds to a conservative.
So it seems "cannot have it both ways", is worse being that it is more like, the liberals want it all.

On your other perspective;
There were some pretty fair clues that the framer's knew full good and well that slavery was bad.
It was the very Constitution itself that gave moral compass to the abolishionists to force change. The very words in the Constitution were used in arguement to wiegh opinion and change. Witness the evolution of the people to embrace the Constitution, not change it. Subsequent ammendments (13,15) regarding slavery weren't even needed. The words "All men are created equal" make those redundant.

I'd argue that changing (decaying) morals has been the result of liberal interpetation of their "living document". Changing a Constitution in times of decaying morality by those responsible for the decay will result in a substantially worse Constitution.

BTW, Rubberfroggie/OMR, you call me a liberal?
I gotchor librohl riiiiiightt here.....

Hmmmmmm Skinny, You been smokin' Rolmops' n' PW2s' stuff?? Where did ya find their stash?? I want some too!! Please show me where I ever called you a Liberal. You are several notches to the right of me, (from your posts here on iboats), and I don't Cornsider myself to be Liberal on most issues. JR

Skinnywater

Commander

Hmmmmmm Skinny, You been smokin' Rolmops' n' PW2s' stuff?? Where did ya find their stash?? I want some too!! Please show me where I ever called you a Liberal. You are several notches to the right of me, (from your posts here on iboats), and I don't Cornsider myself to be Liberal on most issues. JR

Sheesh, I guess that'll teach me not to use a smiley face.
Since they changed the format I haven't been able to put one in the text.

Did like Rubberfrogs comeback "liver roll", absolutely good wit.