MaltiPoo? This is a dog?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: MaltiPoo? This is a dog?

Looks like a little cuddlebug, Mark... But it also looks like it'll put her thru hell trying to keep it clean and groomed. :)
Nuthin a "whole lotta love" can't handle tho.

OFF-TOPIC:
Haut, I love that new avitar!!! It's a hoot!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Today we took a 2 hour drive from NJ to PA to see breeder about a Bishon Frise. I expected to find a puppy mill, but was pleased to find a very well kept farm run by a large Menonite family (wife had 14 kids!). The dogs were all clean and looked healthy. The kennels were very, very, clean, very low odor both indoor and out. Got to see the mother, but the pups were already separated.

So we took out 4 female pups and played with them for a while trying to see which were the happiest, most lively, etc. They were all outstanding, but I thought one had a wee bit cuter look than the others, white with light beige ears. We ended up with that female, about 9 weeks old.

So the cage is set up in the kitchen, covered with blankets and she is doing well. My 7 yr old daughter, who is the one we got the dog for, named her Daisy. Daisy got a bath and dried. Now it looks like big fuzz ball.

Their prices were much lower than the regular breeders/mills, and only about $100 more than adopting from a shelter. But the best part about getting the puppy from the farm is that I know it was not traumatized or abused or neglected before being brought to the shelter. I really didn't want to adopt someone elses problem.

Interesting thing about the Menonite family farm; No cars, SUV's, pickups, ATV's or anything else around. No TV, PC or other modern appliances in the house other than a telephone. Husband came racing up in a horse drawn carrage, he must have been doing 40mph! That horse was sweating! The carriage was stripped down and probably very light. He wore the black brim hat, black jacket and pants. I asked him if he used the horses for all power on the farm, and he said no, he had 6 tractors to tend the fields, etc. The horses are strictly for transportation, he said.

We felt comfortable talking with these people. I found it hard to imagine that anyone with such strict and strong religous beliefs would be capable of running a slipshod breeding operation. I was satisfied they were quality breeders.

Hope it all works out for us! Wish us luck.

FLATHEAD

Commander

Mark. I take it you were in Lancaster county. Lots of Mennonite Breeders out that way. I visit that area Often as I am not that far away.

On another note,As far as I am concerned there is only one breed of dog. Labrador. Here is a photo of the newest member of the family. Little deisel. And the other two knuckle heads.

dogs710058.jpg

dogs710044.jpg

jimlad

Chief Petty Officer

I Love Labs And He Is Gorgeous :)
I Grew Up With Them

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I love labs too. And german shepherds, and goldens - they are just plain goofy. I like dogs for the most part. We got 4. All rescues of some sort or the other.
Our lab - was found on side of road. Her founders trained her, but couldn't keep her as they already had 8 dogs. She LOVES playing ball and just being with people.
Our big dachshund - came from pound. was almost stressed to death from being caged. Fought with everyone there. People there thought my brother was a goner when he stuck his hand in the cage. She licked it. Mom opened the cage and the dog walked out and rested her head on moms shoulder. The dog chose us. Not a chance that we could put her back. She is the sweetest dog you will ever meet.
Our little dachshund - people found her on side of road, couldn't keep her. Loves us but is the meanest 9 pounds you will meet.
Our skipperky - My grown half sister found him in one of their pastures. They found out his background at a local feed store. Learned he was owned by a homeless person who would just put him on the ground when he was able to bum a ride. My half sister decided that they cannot keep him locally where somebody could recognize him. So we got him.
I will never get a non shelter or pound dog. Too many die to pay big $ to get a certain kind.

studlymandingo

Commander

Interesting thing about the Menonite family farm; No cars, SUV's, pickups, ATV's or anything else around. No TV, PC or other modern appliances in the house other than a telephone.

What about a boat??? Tell me they at least had a boat!:eek:

Congratulations on the new family member!!​

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Here is Daisy, a Bishon Frise, 9 weeks old....

Ph2007-4-3000034.jpg

From the AKC site:

" General Appearance
The Bichon Frise is a small, sturdy, white powder puff of a dog whose merry temperament is evidenced by his plumed tail carried jauntily over the back and his dark-eyed inquisitive expression.

This is a breed that has no gross or incapacitating exaggerations and therefore there is no inherent reason for lack of balance or unsound movement....

Temperament :
Gentle mannered, sensitive, playful and affectionate. A cheerful attitude is the hallmark of the breed and one should settle for nothing less. "

That's why my wife wanted the Bishon.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks, Flathead.

The last couple of days Daisy was rather sullen. I think she missed her bro's and sisters. This morning she comes running up to me tail wagging wanting to play tug-o-war with the chew toy. I was glad to see her so energetic. I guess the "blues" are fading away.

She did cry a bit last night, but we left her alone until about 5:30am (when we get up). Hopefully we won't hear her cry tonight.