Management- Would you?

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Management- Would you?

Its definetely a low amount of compensation. I'm happy with the pay but wish their was more spread between management/hired hand types. This is govt work so there is no chance of begging up an increase, its set in stone. My boss is not staying here with me and demoting, he's going to work in another unit and demoting. As far as future promotions theres plenty, like I said before I work for the state, lots of positions that require some middle management experiance. I'm pretty sure that there'll be no write ups to prove that I'm running the show. I've been the asst for a couple of years now and everyone respected my authority when I didn't have any.

Truth be told I hope someone with a lot more experiance/education than me goes up and beats me out on the board. If they don't, well..., pour me another scotch.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

To tell you the truth being in charge sucks. there is a bigger fish out there chewing on you. For the small amount of $$ I woudlnt want the extra responsability and STRESS that WILL come with the job. I much rather have family time friend time play time. Think of it like this. Whoever calls in sick you are the one that has to figure out what to do and possibly do it for him if youhave deadlines
Rob

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ken,
Be aware that when you get a title (in this case, Manager) you will automatically get another title added on to you.....you didn't ask for it, but it will come........and that title is "*****hole". What's been said is right on, very few people can be a friend & a boss. You've probably heard the phrase that ***** rolls downhill.....well it does. Middle management absolutely sucks. You'll get pressure from up top and pressure from below because you're invaribly going to have slackers who don't/won't pull their weight and it'll be your arse in the vise. Personally for a hundred bucks, it's a no-brainer to me. However, good luck no matter how you decide.

rmmpe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll add something here; it is inevitable you WILL be challenged. Buttons will be pushed just to find out how far you'll let things go. Making things worse is the fact your 'new subordinates' will remember every negative thing you ever said about management. And they'll use it to pad their position with you.

Also, it is my experience that you can be friends with some subordinates. You probably already are 'friends' with them. The caution is that you don't cultivate a 'friendship' with someone you may have to discipline later. Fortunately, you already know who they are.

Lastly, when on the advancement trail, the most difficult path is to ascend in the environment you came from. It's a fine-line habitat that is extremely difficult to negotiate.

Whatever path you elect, good luck and be prepared for the difficulty that is sure to follow. Be strong.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Personally no I would not take it. I have been in management for the last 15 years around the automotive industry. I am currently an Engineer at corporate level and have authority over the engineering side of things in all of our production plants in Canada and the U.S. I enjoy my job immensly as it is at the moment though I would enjoy retirement much more if I won a large sum of money !!!
Bottom line of it is I have a new "advanced engineering manager" starting on Monday that will be my boss but will be earning about 10% less than me with a lot fewer "fringe benefits"
Did I want that job ???? Possibly as I did apply for it to show interest in further advancement but in reality I was offered a similar increase as you have been to take it on. Just not worth it especially as the position will without a doubt involve more hours and consequently less boating time.
Only one choice in my book !!!
Good Luck either way.