Management- Would you?

Kenneth Brown

Captain
My boss is taking a demotion so he can have the easy life for the next year till he retires. I've been his assistant for the last 3 years so I know the job real well. I'm quailfied for the position, my boss'es boss'es like me, my coworkers like me, and it will help me out by being less physical labor. The downsides are that I'm really just a big kid, I like to have fun while at work and alot of that would have to stop. I'll have to change some if for no other reason than I'm the boss and its expected of me. The job only adds leas than $100 a month to my salary, I'll be responsible for 6 other peoples actions and I'll be the person that gets the arse chewing for them too. My main motivation for the promotion is I don't know what kind of boss we would get. My minds almost made up but what do you think?

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: Management- Would you?

If you want it, go for it. Don't get locked into how much you have to change. Surely you have some leeway to bring your own management style to the position?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I've always preferred twisting wrenches, but pushing pencils ain't all that bad. Take a promotion when you can. Opportunities for Demotion come along all the time. ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Take the job and have fun. Everyone enjoys a happy boss and it will be reflected on your co-workers.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

HI Ken!

Being with the regular labors and moving to management has its problems as well. BTDT and not anymore for me. It got to the point that when I had to do the schedule, daily planner, and days off for the emps. They expected and demanded favors. This gets to be very stressful unless you can be one cold hearted SOB and don't care for anyone except for the numbers. Thats not me, so when the opportunity came up to move on,,,,I jumped on to it. Now I'm mostly on my own with nobody to tell what to do. I like it!

BTW, all those past emps that I use to visit and socialize with stopped pretty much the same day when I was put into their management position. To me it just seems that there is a natural instinct that ends up seperating the management from the laborers.

All I can say is if you think you are manager material, then go for it. Just be prepared on a different type treatment from your workers. I hope I'm wrong for you and that you can become a respectful manager with your emps. Good Luck!

PW2

Commander

It can be a very fine line to straddle to be a "friend" to your co-workers, as well as their "boss". It's possible to do it, but it can be difficult at times.

The key is to be as objective as possible when reviewing performance issues, using "measurable" criteria only, if possible, and avoid the appearance of favoritism. If you are comfortable with that, and want the responsibility, by all means, go for it.

If you can't do that, be very careful. A dramatic change in your behavior, whether toward being friendly or less friendly, will be difficult to pull off.

rwise

Captain

It will definatly change things at work tween you and them. Is it worth $100 dollars (what is that one tank of gas in the boat?) for all the added stress? Myself I would need more spread than that. But hey you see things first hand, you know if it is a good move for you good luck!;)

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I'm pretty much with rwise. The people who are your friends now (your coworkers) will not be your friends when you go up (eventually). As said, it's just a natural thing. If you are really good friends with them, i.e. hang out with them in your off time, it may not be worth <$100 to cut those ties. Would it lead to other opportunties? Only you know, but <$100/month is not a big motivator...

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

;) Take the job and bring your solid backround along with youthful enthusiasm and get on with life, just be patiencent with your guy's.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Just a word if caution KB, make sure that your new responsibility is accompanied by commensurate, autonomous authority to perform all aspects of the new job. There is nothing worse than being in middle management and being micro managed by those above you.

Otherwise, if you get by the change in relationship issues and the low pay increase, it could be a good move to strengthen your job experience and resume.

GlasstronJim

Seaman

Take the job or they will hire Rosie, because she is looking for others to boss around now!!!!!! HaHaHaHa

Coors

Captain

I dunno; as a construction superintendent, I have stress, and for $100 would take a demotion to have a less stressful position. And does it require more hours? It usually does, in order to just get the paperwork done. Think it over, and make your own decision. But all are correct- moving up in the same company, you will lose at least half your old buddies.. just a fact of life.

Coors

Captain

I forgot to add- good luck, you will end up making the correct decision; you know more about the company and what you want than we do.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Its middle management and the current warden definetely micromanages. He's due to leave soon so that'll pass over. I've worked for 13 different wardens (thats counting senior and asst)in the last 12 years so they change out pretty regular.
As far as relationships changing everyone including me understands that is all part of the game. I'm fair and honest with them. I go to bat with the man for them already and don't mind doing so when their right. I just love pissing contests when policy backs me up, nobody can change that. The former asst (the position I hold now) would always go over to the boss'es house and drink/fish/ invite "lady" freinds over. The boss tried that with me when I became the asst but I declined. I'm of the thought that if your the boss then everyone is invited or no one is. I've worked with 2 of the guys I'll be supervising for over 12 years now. We're all professional and understand sometimes it can't be their way.
Unit administration is gonna put me in as acting dept head till they officially hire me or someone else so I might as well try to get paid for it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

rmmpe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd suggest you look beyond the immediate. Does the position offer further advancement?

If not, I would consider not taking it for the difference of $100.00, which is a pittance as compared to the responsibility for the work of others.

After all, there is a reason the current man is stepping down, yes?

LadyFish

Admiral

I'd suggest you look beyond the immediate. Does the position offer further advancement?

If not, I would consider not taking it for the difference of $100.00, which is a pittance as compared to the responsibility for the work of others.

Ditto on everything rmmpe said.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

.625 cents more an hour for a management position overseeing 6 guys with all the headaches associated with it. Your company seems to be paying real low for management types.
What was your old boss making? I would ask for the same pay for the same job/responsibilities and it better be more than 100 more a month.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I agree as well.

I would also add that from expirience it is very awkward to be the superior of someone who was once ahead of you. It is very hard to actually manage that person, since that person will never truly see you as their boss.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

I agree as well.

I would also add that from expirience it is very awkward to be the superior of someone who was once ahead of you. It is very hard to actually manage that person, since that person will never truly see you as their boss.

Exactly... I bet he's hoping you get the position so he can really have an easy time until retirement. He knows you too well.
I once took a job as manager for a company I had been working for as an Inspector. It took 2 months before I knew I needed to "clean" house. Workers become complacent/cocky when they know their boss too well.
Good experience for wanting to run your own business someday but for an extra 100, heck no!!
Unless you're already an Alpha male to these 6 or so people it will be difficult and I can almost bet you will have to writeup/fire someone to prove a point to the rest of them. Then they just become D***heads.
Just my experience, your mileage will vary..:cool:

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Ken,

The best advise I would give is to know who your boss in the new position will be and what kind of support you can expect to get from him. The fish stinks from the head down. If the people you supervise can simply jump over your head and bypass your athority, history of the position is soft towards slackers, or a "wait and see if the situation will clear itself up" mentality exists then don't bother. Anyone who forgets to be nice to people on the way up the ladder, will pay for it on the way down. And more often then not, there is a trip back down the ladder at some point. Management means an even hand for everyone. Once consistancy is lost, so is authority.

Management is not conducive to friendships with workers. "NO" is a reasonable answer, some people don't realize it. Good luck with your decision, but an extra buck an hour for the responsibility and headaches seems like a lowsy trade.