Stress on the Job

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
The effect of stress as a result of my job has become very obvious to people who know me, and my wifes observations.

Me and about 6 of my peers (we are top senior sofware designers and developers on mainframe computers) at work have all shown the effects of stress from exessive pressure, unrealistic expectations, lack of proper training and repeated poor management decisions.

My employer has wasted millions of dollars, while running in circles and running their best assesets, their best people, into the ground.

My boss is taking a variety of stress related drugs every day. He has dizzy spells, loss of interest, and outbursts.

One wonderful guy I have worked with for over 20 years had a complete emotional breakdown and was out of work for 2 months. He now is back, but it is obvious he is so drugged up, he just sits in his office and stares.

I have had my share of unusual and unexplained medical problems related to extreme fatigue, and two other guys I work with have all had unusual and unexplained medical problems. My problems was identified as thyroid failure, and has been succesfully treated over the last year. The stress still gives me short temper, frustration, etc.

Pluss, to make things worse, I take on additional projects like a family room make over. But I waited until the job calmed down so I would have the time to work on the family room.

The job is killing us. The corporate medical staff reported to the board of directors that there is a sharp increase in illness, stress, and emotional problems directly related to the business practice. The corporate doctor told me its time to find a new job.

Things are looking better after a year and a half of pure hell, but I am afraid the damage is done.

Anyone else feel that their job is pushing them past reasonable limits? Do you suffer from it?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Stress on the Job

Anyone else feel that their job is pushing them past reasonable limits? Do you suffer from it?
i used to. didn't even know it either. i worked in a max security prison for 9 years. while working there i had got this lump on my neck. i figured i was done and it was cancer or something. in the end. after surgery and biopsy. it was nothing. and was written off as stress related. i still have reoccureing dreams about workin in that place. and it's been 15 years since i worked there. a couple of my ex coworkers, both plumbers are still seeing shrinks. i'm not. don't believe in them to much. now i'm self employeed and it's much better. i feel much more relaxed and my customers set my schedual for me. some days i'm to busy for sure. some days are too slow too, so i go boating.......:)

good luck in ridding yourself of this stress. there is hope........

rogerwa

Commander

Don't want to sound flipppant because that is not my intention. but life is too short to spend it that way. find a different job that meets your lifestyle better or define to your self what you will and will not do for that company and let the chips fall where they may. I could work 60/hrs a week but I choose not to. When I take an assignment, I set expectations up front that the job is not my top priority. My family is. I will do my job and provide the value that I am known for, but when push comes to shove, my family comes first. Maybe others that are more devoted will pass me by. thats OK for me. There will be time later to climb the ladder if I want.

My kids are 13,12, 10, and 7. Every game that I miss will be a game I wish I would have been at. I know these times in my life will never come again. There are other opportunities out there.

If you are worth your salt, there is a better situation out there. Maybe contracting..

Just my .02..

rwise

Captain

I worked at a place for a while, the boss was so bad if you did not get right in his face and cuss him he had no respect for you. At one time you could take a job and expect to retire from it, not any more. No mater who you are or what you know they can and will replace you. or send your job to an outside source. So IMHO if you are not happy with your job then fly the coupe!

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Man...what's the name of the company, Marquis de Sade, Inc? I've never had anything like that on a job, but if I did, I think I'd be outta there in short order.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Interesting topic. I have been going through exactly what you discribed. Travel 5-6 days a week, sleeping in hotels, calls 24hr a day. And a 4am call is rare but it happens. I gained 55lbs in two years, and began to get blurred vision at times. I became distant with my wife, cuz I just couldn't hear anything that required any more thought than where we were going for dinner. I was becoming a zombie. Every week that went by more and more and more responsiblity was being heaped upon me. Pay never increased, and commisions were slashed. The saving grace was that I worked for the best boss in the business, and had some very dedicated, educated, giving co-workers who were dedicated to the business and sharing their experience with the new folks.

As of monday I resigned. I was contacted by a head hunter, and landed the first job I interviewed for just 20 minutes up the road. The process took months, which is difficult to understand, but the reputation of this new company is outstanding. Everyone who works there loves the place. More money, less travel, and a more condusive work environment. I look forward to the land of the living, instead of the land of the blindly driven.

I guess I would have to say, that even if you don't get a new job right away there are some theraputic aspects to just looking. I would also conclude there is good work for good people.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is epidemic in our country, Mark.

Real or perceived demand for more, faster, better are turning many Americans into emotional basket cases addicted to calming drugs. Just watch the TV shows about building show cars or choppers. Those deadlines turn nice men into fire breathing dragons.

You gotta comply if you want the big bux, or. . . .

Renegotiate your employment conditions as follows:
Expectations must be mutually agreeable. That includes quantity, quality and deadlines, as well as compensation.

No deal? Go find a job where you can thrive, rather than whither. Big bux are not worth dying young for.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mark,

I would agree with what many have said here. Life is too short, do something that makes you happy. If you are happy with what you are doing, keep doing it. Otherwise, change directions.

I quit part of my job this morning as a matter of fact. I quit it simply because it was causing more stress than pleasure. In my mind, when that happens, it's time to make a change. It cost me some money, but I have never done anything for the money alone.

Kalifornyakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was in a simialar situation. I left a very promising career, but it was a job I hated, which doubled the stress. I spent 10 to 14 hours a day in a management position, (salaried, so no overtime, and the boss got really upset when you ask for vacation time.) and hated every second of it. I got to the point where, like Pointer, I didn't want to think of anything complicated. I just wanted to be alone and enjoy the few precious hours of doing nothing before I had to go back to work. It even got to the point where I would get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomache every time I was within a few miles of work, even on my off time. I had to avoid that whole side of town! I just walked away from it started doing something else. I realize you might not be in the same situation where you can leave, but if at all possible, get up and walk!
It just isn't worth it to have to live like that. Life should be enjoyed, not struggled through.

tommays

Admiral

I live in that boat BUT have gotten it to a level i can stand

It got so bad i did leave for about 6 months and then got a call from the owner that he would change what ever was needed :)

No more weekends unless a machine has to be moved in and out of the building (1 or 2 times a year )

No crazy endless 12 hour days ect

It is the best i can do in this area as eveyone has gotten nuts and you get 10 dollars and hour OR a real salary with not much in between :confused:

Tommays

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wow! I'm surprised at the responses. I guess a lot more people are being driven harder than ever before.

I have been with my company for 23 years. I am well compensated for what I do. Things have always been a bit busy in this business, but the last year and a half with 50 and 60 hour weeks and weekends was getting out of control. The big and nasty project is out the door. Won't have to do another one like that for another 10 years or so.

I did finally put my foot down about what I can deliver and when. Thank goodness I have a good boss who buffers me from the top guns.

I'm going to stay with my employer. But I have lost respect for some senior management. Hopefully, they will retire in the next 5 years or so.

Now everything will be better if I can just get this darn safety cap off my bottle of sedatives..... :D

treedancer

Commander

My present job doesn?t present a lot of stress like those Mark, and Pointer, just described, but before I started driving a truck I was a Machinist in a job shop. The jobs would come in, I had this ahole boss that would come in and try to micromanage every detail.

That wasn?t so bad but his ability too install confidence in his ability too set up the machines in a safe manner was very much compromised by the fact that he had three fingers missing on his left hand and one and a half on his right hand. :eek:

It came too a head when I was running this Milling machine making some gears, it wasn?t so bad as i was by this window, I got too look out and see the people going by, not too bored but this jerk thought it was interfering with my getting the job done, so he proceeds to paint the damn window with black paint.

Two weeks later I was out of there, been driven a truck not wandering what is going on outside because I?m outside. It can be rather stressful, but it is only if you make it stressful, most of my driving is on the Westside of the Mississippi. In the winter sometime you have too chain up when going over the mountains, but if I have to do that it is just part of the job.

Seen a lot of snow and ice, that gets a bit stressful, and have seen the medium up close on I-40 at Kline?s Corner in New Mexico, in other words have spun out and been stuck in the medium there. Believe me, that is a rather hairy situation too be in, there you are in the middle and traffic coming at you down a long stretch of mountain grade from the west side, on ice, and your wondering if they are going too be sliding into you. I guess you cold call that stress.

Two weeks later you are running between Oklahoma City, and Albuquerque Mexico, and you look up on that clear starry New Mexico, night and look up and there is the comet Hale Bopp.yes it,s been a few years .

You pull off of the interstate, your in the mountains, and you look up and feel you can almost touch the stars, that?s when you know you have the best job in the world, wouldn?t trade it for any other job regardless of the stress.

The next day you get a phone call from your boss and he ask why you?re a day late delivering the piece of logging equipment in Hermiston, Oregon. You try to explain to him that you were held up in Las Vegas a couple of days, but he wont buy that crap, and the proceeds to let know he was on the road for a few years himself, and has used the broke down on Las Vegas bit on his boss.

Well looks like this job is starting too suck, It is sure nice too have a understanding boss, also its good that he is your uncle, other wise i would probably be looking for another job. It is sure better then looking at a painted black window, wondering what is going on outside. What I?m trying to get across is that there are a lot of jobs out there , life?s to short too be chasing the carrot ,get something that your are comfortable with , it will be better in the long run.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I hear ya Mark. That is why I walked away from 11 years of military service in early 98. Over two years ago I got into law enforcement. It only took two years, one part time and the other fulltime, to bring back the Army Ulcers, and I developed a tick in both eyes. I walked away from that late last summer, and went back to my job of exterminatin'. The nervous tick has not returned, and I have not felt any ulcer action since before winter. Not a single person has told me I made a mistake by leaving that career. Life IS too short. I earn an acceptable salary, and aside from the occasional not-so-fun day, my stress level is low. I can control how my day goes, and that is the best way to live.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I deal with it daily just like everyone else. Mark you are not alone.

You did a great job on your home however, your greatest assets were your children in the picture.

I guess my only advice is to deal with the stress of the job..... is to do it at the job. Both my wife and I have stress jobs but we do our best to deal with it and not carry it home.

Do not let the job interfere or jepoardize your home life. I would rather walk away from any job then have it do damage to me and the family.

I have a good outlook on everthing...... I consider if a decision is not fatal then it's no big thing...... anything can be fixed.

Hang in there brother. Summer and boating time is coming.

ZmOz

Captain

I do way too much too. The problem is it's all my faut. I run 3 businesses in two states and for some reason I'm still looking for more. I can't sit still for more than a few minutes without getting bored, so I go work. I honestly don't even know how many hours I work, it's really all I do.

I'm 21 and I have to take 5 different prescriptions...heart problems...blood pressure problems...back problems...sleep problems...anxiety problems...and I'm still waiting on blood tests probably with more bad results...

What good is health insurance if you don't use it? ;)

puddle jumper

Captain

After 3 weeks of 10 to 12 hour days and running my but off getting sent to camp after camp.I had a real crappy day all i can say is "well i cant keep it clean so i cant say it".I can relate to what you are all saying.Some days i feel like im going to go postal on some one.What i do to help my self is just stop and take a brake and rethink what ever im doing then walk over to who ever made me mad and tell them right up front how i feel.If they dont like it the more it makes me feel better.Im starting to ramble on but your not alone.

puddle jumper

Captain

I gess the best way to discribe my job is.Have you ever watched car reality shows that thay do a car build in like a week.A team of guys go in and do the build and get under each others skin.
That is what i go through every day with less time and more pressure.But it pays well very well.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Mark, as others have said, you aren't alone here by a long shot. I have a bit of insight into what you deal with as I'm in a closely related profession. 5 years ago, I averaged between 60 and 70 hours/week for the year. The OT check was enough to buy half my truck. It's been 55+ since with 24x7x365 on call. A number of the calls I get are either between 6-9pm or 1-3am. That piled with some other things drove me to walk away one really rough Saturday. On Sunday I didn't want to get out of bed and was physically ill. I pretty much collapsed mentally and physically. I was having spells where breathing felt difficult and chest pains so I went to get checked out. My larnyx was quite swollen from chronic reflux. Later that week, I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. I knew what the cause was. 40 extra pounds and stress. During a 6 hour study, I woke up an about of every 10 minutes. I would wake in the night and check the pager because I thought I heard it go off. I'm just over 30.... Things were touchy at home due to my irritibility, and my usually never ending string of home projects seemed to be piling up too. My wife was more than ready for me to change jobs.

At this point I was generally always exhausted, irritable, short fused, etc. It felt out of control, and that's a tough thing for me.

After doing some soul searching that Sunday, I went back the next Monday and started over with a new plan of sorts. I try to stay under 45 hours unless necessary and now shift some of the other stuff to the folks that I work with. Projects at home are now in a priority order of sorts, I'm spending more time with my kids, etc. The symptoms/effects of the sleep disorder are starting to lessen a bit and I feel I'm doing a better job for my employer. I still do emergency stuff as needed, but if something isn't critical, it may wait or get passed to another capable person. I think I am more productive now in less hours. I still hear my phone in my sleep....

It hasn't been an overnight process, and it is far from complete. It's hard to be used to 50-60hr weeks, then start backing down to 45 or so. That is stressful in and of itself. My blood pressure is down to normal for 20/10 points high.

I got into my profession because I had a passion for it. I lost it for a while, but I'm finding it again. It has required a bit of a shift in thinking and priorities.

Sorry, got long winded....

Treedancer, pick you up a small grab/go telescope for the trips across the mountains. It will blow your socks off.

i386

Captain

Been there and done that. I worked almost 2 years worth of hours in one year before I decided to walk away from it. I wish I could say I was well compensated for it.

Things are much better now in that regard. I'm mostly 40-45 hours a week. Two weeks one of my customers had a major problem that took an 80 hour week to fix (including a 34 hour shift with no sleep). Times like that are rare, but what's good about it is nobody was making me do it. I felt like I owned it and did. It was tough, but end the end was very rewarding.

treedancer

Commander

Quote JasonB

Treedancer, pick you up a small grab/go telescope for the trips across the mountains. It will blow your socks off.

Hale Bopp was my companion for a few months in 1997; I was on a regular run on I- 40, between Oklahoma. City, and Albuquerque NM, you think that you cant miss a Comet, I got news for you, I sure missed that one .On the west bound run he was my constant companion on my right.

Its Hard for me to describe what the sky looks like when you pull off of the interstate, on a starlet night, in the mountains and look up, most people don’t realize how many stars are in the sky, at least the people that don’t live in the Rockies, in the boonies. Yes it was once in a lifetime too look at that, as I was watering a tire, and had Hale Bopp on my right side.;)

Your right Jason it would be nice too have a small telescope ,have a digital camera now, and my sketch book, might pick up a scope,sure would come in handy.