Overly intrusive Government, ie California

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Spoke with my BIL yesterday. He lives in So Cal. His daughter is in the Navy and is stationed in Guam. She had her car shipped there and registered it in Guam.

Time passed for the California license renewal and of course the car was gone. The California Title had been in both my BIL's name along with his daughters.

The State actually went into his bank account and stole the $250.00 for the vehicle registration. The bank charged him $100.00 to do this dastardly deed for the State.

There is a state law, that he was not aware of, that states when a car you own leaves the state, the Dept of Motor Vehicles must be notified.

IMHO, this is a clear example of intrusive government power. When my BIL inquired and was notified of the law, the state did relent after hearing the circumstances. They refunded his confiscated $250.00 but left him hanging for the $100.00 bank charge. The bank was not inclined to refund as they were just doing what the state directed them to do.

How can people elect legislators that will do this too them? I left that state in 1988, with all my vehicles and just reregistered them in WA. End of subject. Why should anyone have to notify the state when they move and take their car?

JRJ

Commander
Re: Overly intrusive Government, ie California

Too bad Ca isn't as efficient with unlicensed drivers and their unregistered vehicles. lol

Is it normal for a bank to release funds like that?

Coors

Captain

Can you name the bank?

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How can people elect legislators that will do this too them?

Because they stand up on their soapboxes & promise all sorts of things they have no intention of ever actually doing in order to get votes. Then they get into office & reality sets in - state needs X - billion dollars, how are we going to suck it out of the taxpayer without calling it a tax? This is REGARDLESS of party or political persuasion - they all do it.

As far as the bank goes, I guess if BIL ever e-filed taxes, he had to give the state access to the account to either deposit a refund or extract a payment, so that is one way they can get legal access. There's probably some corollary to that law (that nobody in the general public knows about) that lets them take ANY state fee out later.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good grief!! <:O

It's enough to turn a liberal into a libertarian!!

tommays

Admiral

Try bill collectors for fun if you think the government is intrusive my useless younger brother is named MJM my son is also a MJM ,old family names

He lives in a different state :) I lost count how many times his bill collectors come after me or my son in a very nasty way trying to get money my brother spent :(

How in gods name do they link us , do they call every MJM in the USA ?

In the latest move the Fine state of NY sent me his back tax bills from 2000 when he last lived here :(

I am the trustee of a bank account in a different state my mother left for both my useless brothers to give them a small income ( they are both mentally handicapped but just ok enough to live on there own and spend money they do not have )

So every stupid thing they both do ends up in my mail box at some point in time :)

Tommays

Coors

Captain

My wife has been getting collection agency bills lately, from a third party. She has to spend so much time on the phone, and writing letters to kill it. She has lived in Florida her whole life, but getting dunned for bills from NY, etc. Where is is supposed to live. I have perfect credit, but used that free credit report thingy to check mine. Bills that were paid off in 2002 are going to be reported until 2017? And all said paid on time, none late. grrrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:

Skinnywater

Commander

I'm aware of the law and how it is applied.
The state doesn't have any way of knowing that the car has left the state unless they are informed. They assume the vehicle is being used unregistered since they weren't notified and it wasn't registered "non-op".

The state only takes action against bank accounts when repeated notifications by the DMV as to the vehicle's status are ignored.
Once they were informed as to the status of the vehicle the state refunded the money.
The bank seems to be very opportunistic, I sure wouldn't do business with them any longer.

While state revenue is the primary objective, it's secondary and presented purpose was to control unregistered/uninsured /derelict vehicles.

Before the Patriot Act much of what the government was legally able to pry into personal bank accounts was limited. If you remember, there was a radical change in the amount of info your bank required on any new accounts or major transactions. Before that time the state would not have the data base to identify vehicle registration numbers to bank accounts.

And as you know the popular arguement here, one in which I disagree with, is that any intrusion the Patriot Act allows is a good thing.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I thought the patriot act was federal not state.

ZmOz

Captain

If we all show up with shovels along that fault line I bet we could have that sucker pushed off into the pacific in no time. Kinda like cutting off a cancerous tumor. ;)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Leave it to a northern california liberal to explain why it's a good thing and it's all ok....

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"I'm aware of the law and how it is applied.
The state doesn't have any way of knowing that the car has left the state unless they are informed. They assume the vehicle is being used unregistered since they weren't notified and it wasn't registered "non-op"."

Hey skinny, sounds a bit backward to me. I guess if anything should be assumed by the DMV, they should assume that since the car has not be re-registered, it is no longer in the state or is no longer operational. I don't understand why it is reasonable for them to assume it is still in the state. Come on, they assumed it was in the state, and then removed money from their account.....rediculous in my opinion. No conflict of interest there...right?

BTW, yes they do have a way of knowing it is no longer in the state......IT WAS NOT REGISTERED. ;)

tommays

Admiral

Well dont turn in your plates in NY and watch the bill grow :eek:

It does have a lot to do with the 4 million insurance free NY drivers there trying to stop :rolleyes:

Tommays

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well dont turn in your plates in NY and watch the bill grow :eek:

It does have a lot to do with the 4 million insurance free NY drivers there trying to stop :rolleyes:

Tommays

I guess the prob I have Tom is that they are fining the otherwise responsible person in an effort to eliminate the non-law abiders. Toughen the penalty on those that are screwing the system intentionally rather than the responsible people. Just appears to be a simple fix in my opinion. My guess though, they don't want the simple fix.....the flow of money is too good right now.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I hear ya Tom!......
Don't they suspend your license & fine ya thirty dollars a day to get it back, if I recall......:eek:
It should get your attention real quick!.....;)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I guess the prob I have Tom is that they are fining the otherwise responsible person in an effort to eliminate the non-law abiders. Toughen the penalty on those that are screwing the system intentionally rather than the responsible people. Just appears to be a simple fix in my opinion. My guess though, they don't want the simple fix.....the flow of money is too good right now.

Now why does that sound familiar?? Where have I heard that logic before?? Oh yah, from the NRA and everyone in support of the Second Amendment.

Sorry for the hijack Boom, We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

tommays

Admiral

Is it intrusive government power to require that your plates be turned in when you leave so they can keep track of unsafe and insurance free drivers :confused:

Or is it a good thing there trying to keep only legal cars on the road

Just how would they know you just did not decide to drive around without insurance if the honest people do not follow thw rules :confused:

I dont like it all BUT uninsured and uninspected cars are really common i have no idea how else they can try and control it

Tommays

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In Kentucky, you must show proof of insurance at time of registration and if you let the insurance expire for any reason the insurance company is required by law to send a letter to the county where you live letting them know and they can if they want, come pull the tags off the vehicle.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In Kentucky, you must show proof of insurance at time of registration and if you let the insurance expire for any reason the insurance company is required by law to send a letter to the county where you live letting them know and they can if they want, come pull the tags off the vehicle.

Similar in Ohio. The state does spot checks here. They randomly select people to check their insurance. If yuou have tags and no insurance, you lose your license for 90 days along with a fine.

They also require proof of insurance in the event of any state driving violations or traffic stops.

GlasstronJim

Seaman

I'm sorry to say it, but I think the TERMINATOR has officially been terminated. I thought he could straighten them out. By the way do they have someone there to translate these simpleton so called laws into english when they send them out to other states (on the backs of their mexican couriers who have had two strikes and have to leave california!!!!!)