Has anyone else been as foolish....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...as I am, for undertaking the entire repaint of the inside of their 3300 sq ft house?

I am talking more white wood work trim, window casings, vaulted ceilings, doors doors and more doors than you can shake a stick at. All this in a house that is so crowded with goodies from a long life of greedy capitalistic existance, that you have hardly any place to move things to get them out of your way and still be able to live while you are doing the work.

I guess my BeachCraft project get's put on the back burner but the payoff will be that when this 19 year refresh is done, I'll have enough loan money left to build my 3.5 car garage shop, on the back of the lot. Something I wanted to do when we moved in 19 years ago. I will not have paid out all the money to have someone else do the work. Prices are frightful today.

i386

Captain
Re: Has anyone else been as foolish....

I don't recall. :D

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I've been that foolish. I not only volunteered for the paint, but the floors too!

Coors

Captain

4 mil poly to cover, spray or roller, then paint trim with brush; damn, what a pain. but maybe cjy can round up some peeple to do it as a huddle thing

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well........... I believe most of us are that foolish I know have have taken on things like that but............ I pace myself!! One room a year!

JRJ

Commander

I do half a house a year, just not in the same decade. Enjoy the savings.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Can't take that long JRJ. Got to start the garage and get a roof on before the fall rain comes. The only way Mrs Boomyal will buy off on the garage/shop is if she gets what she has been whining, er ah begging for for the last 5 years. Refresh the house. If she had her way, we'd just pay to have all this done and forget the garage/shop. Her attitude is, "what'dya want that for? You'll just fill it up with more 'stuff'."

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

4 mil poly to cover, spray or roller, then paint trim with brush; damn, what a pain. but maybe cjy can round up some peeple to do it as a huddle thing

IC, I got the plastic and all the other goodies. When your doing it yourself, you have to get the right stuff. I started the trim using my HVLP gun. I won't tolerate brushstrokes on my woodwork. As good as the HVLP is, it still threw out too much overspray.

I just went to Costco and picked up a Wagner Airless affair. It's not that worthless gun they have but a self contained diaphram driven 2800 psi airless with a paint hopper on top of it. I would never attempt to use that with latex paint, but for $179.00, it might be the ticket for spraying all of the wood trim using alkyd enamel. I'll keep all posted on how well it does in an enclosed area.

This wagner will also operate a power roller. Even though 2800 psi is not sufficient to spray latex with (even though they claim it is) it should be more that effective for supplying paint to a roller. Hopefully do not intend to do these acres of wall and ceilings with a pan and roller.:eek:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I got a punch list of household "to-do's" that ought to run me at least a year..

Doing the outside stuff (paint, replace some trim, and re-landscape) now, before it gets gawd-awful hot... Saved the the inside stuff for summer...

I may, I say MAY get some time to fish in 2008?......:(

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

I'd sell me some greedy capitalistic goodies an hire a painter...

and go fishun.

spots

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I'd sell me some greedy capitalistic goodies an hire a painter...

and go fishun.

spots

Don't want to fish in the rain CN, actually, don't want to fish at all. Just like to go out boatin when it's 80 deg or better and that don't happen in these parts until after the 4th of July. I ought to have this mess wrapped up well before then. Hopefully.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

coffee-1.gif
What some thing's people will do to get out of a A@* Whoopin is beyond me, but 3400 sq ft..........damm that's.... that's reaching....:D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

coffee-1.gif
What some thing's people will do to get out of a A@* Whoopin is beyond me, but 3400 sq ft..........damm that's.... that's reaching....:D

Not to worry Tail Gunner. I think that ol' 2 bbl will still do the job. Who knows, by the time the sun starts puttin out some warmth around here, I might have had to squeeze a few days respite from this paint project and slapped that new 4 bbl on just for a little insurance.:D

I might be sittin on a couple of upside down 7 gal buckets, for seats, but I always have the steering wheel to hang on to.:p

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

If you need something to shoot that paint i went over to harbor freight and picked up a pressure pot HPLV.........i know that's kinda not right but it shoots well and it can push some paint...:D

Now putting paint on the wall's should be damm simple, just roll it, get your self a 5 gallon bucket hook a mop handle to the end of your roller and get to rolling, just as fast a sprayer with less oversprayer.

Last edited:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Can you believe more foolish :eek::eek:?? When we built our current home we had a budget we had to respect. Soooooo along with working full time we (the wife and I) managed to put in 4 to 6 hours a night + at the construction site. We took on decking and railing, laying 800 sq. ft of hardwood flooring, 1200 plus sq feet of ceramic tile (including hardy board and grouting), painted every thing but the ceilings, installing the down stairs kitchenet (sp), and a bunch other stuff thats to painful to recall. It damn neer killed us. On the bright side we survived, came in under budget, and now live in a house we could never afford to buy. (I think that's a good thing ;);):))
You'll get it done Boom, and when ya do all the pain and suffering will soon be forgotten.:D

i386

Captain

I couldn't resist making the smart arse crack eariler but yea. We've repainted every room but one since we bought the house 8 years ago. I think it's about 2200 sq. ft. but a good chunk of that is basement (well, split level) that I'll be turning into living space one day if we don't sell and get a bigger place.

She does the cut in and trim and I do all the rolling. Each time we get a little better at it and learn new tricks along the way. Recently we helped her parents fix up a house they bought and did all the paint and tiled the kitchen for 'em too.

I think the most important things I've learned about painting is:

Caulking can really improve the quality of the finished job.
When painting a dark color over a light color, have some primer tinted gray and it won't take so many coats of paint.
Don't paint the switch/outlet faceplates. It looks nice at first, but the paint doesn't adhere very well.
All the fancy doodads they sell for painting trim, corners, etc... are no match for skill.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Oh how my heart bleeds for you.

"that you have hardly any place to move things to get them out of your way and still be able to live while you are doing the work."

Try putting in a new kitchen, bathroom, and re-doing the livingroom, and living in the rest of the house, when you only have 1000 sq ft to work with. :) :( ?

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Oh how my heart bleeds for you....

Thanks abunch Roscoe. You apparently did not have a Mrs. who wished it to be hired out. The Mrs Boomyal and I are gettin to be on the older side. I'm still young and spry(a bit mean and nasty too:p) but Mrs Boomyal doesn't like the mess. Seems to be nothin I can say that will convince her that we would have the same mess if we hired it out.

Yep i386, got the ol' caulking gun on my hip. When we bought this house, 19 year ago it was new. (19 years ago scares me) One of the things that really impressed me was that all the moldings were caulked. They looked like they were molded in. For the most part, it held up pretty well but there are places where it wants to be redone. I got out a little box and put all the wall plates and screws in it. I even got several packages of new white tipped screws to replace the ones that lost their paint.

LT, you were a real yeoman for taking on a project like than. Mine will be limited to painting inside and out, some facebrick work and a new court yard wall. Then I get to tackle a 3.5 car garage from the ground up. Yikes!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No Mrs here.
The upstairs is full of what used to be on the first floor.
The first floor is in various stages of disarray.
And none of it is getting done, as I am working 12 out of 14 days, 64-73 hours a week. Only have 4-5 days off between April 16 and May 26, when I go on vacation, which will be an interesting fishing trip, since my boat will still be in pieces.

Well, good luck.
Take a break every few hours, especially when you are getting tired. It will help the final results.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Build the Big Garage 1st! Tell your bride that you need a place to put the acumulated stuff while the rooms are being painted. Can't paint with stuff in the way, it'll just get splattered or worse ..... tell her your no pro! And there is always some other "fixit" involved with painting a room. You need the space.

It almost worked for me, but we bought a different house instead. So, I built her a multimedia room, 2
new bathrooms
and a custom Euro kitchen. BUT, ............. Still NO pole barn for me !!!