2 stroke mix - how versatile is it ?

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In my garage I keep two cans of 2 stroke mix. Both are 50:1 mixes and both use the same 91 octane gas. The only difference is that one is mixed with Evinrude oil (for my boat engine of course) and the other is mixed with Homelite oil (for my chainsaw, line trimmer, hedge trimmer etc).<br /><br />Now I would really prefer to only have to look after one lot of 2 stroke mix instead of two.<br /><br />I know that I should NEVER use the Homelite mix in my boat engine.... but what would happen if I used the Evinrude mix in my chainsaw etc ?<br /><br />How versatile is marine 2 stroke ? Can it be used in other (smaller) non-marine 2 stroke engines ? Anyone ever tried this ?

petryshyn

Commander
Re: 2 stroke mix - how versatile is it ?

Do NOT intermix oils and their applications!<br /><br />>chainsaw oil will badly carbon up the outboard<br />>O/B oil will cause premature cylinder wall and skirt failure in the chainsaw.<br /><br />These differences in oil are from the huge difference in operating temperature. One oil has an additive for lube at high temp. Its this additive that will not burn clean in a colder running engine. Yeah yeah, I know some people out there have done it for years, but that don't make it right. Just because their engine is still running, doesn't mean its life hasn't been shortened. I was skeptical till my weed eated failed on O/B oil. I did a bunch of research, and found the above......<br /> :)

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Schematic, that's solved something that was puzzling me for a while. It's good to know that I've been doing the right thing - even though I didn't know why... :)

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Depends on the oil and the application...Ihave an old air cooled triple motorcycle that has the last 10K mile run on quicksilver prem plus outboard oil [injected]...same thing goes in my older skidoo snowmobile [liqiud cooled, injected]...would I do this with a lower grade oil? nope...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm. Now I know why my little Poulan saw blew up a few years back.<br /><br />Thanks, Schematic.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

If they are TCW-3,Why should it matter ?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess it's the "W" in TC-W3. That means water cooled. I shoulda known that.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

D

DJ

Schematic,<br /><br />Isn't it the ash content that determines the operating temp. range?

petryshyn

Commander

Actually djohns19, its the temperature that determines ash content.....<br />If you look on the shelf, oil is broken down into two groups.....<br />>air cooled = ash or low ash = (ash is from high temp additive necessary for high heat applications)<br />>water cooled = very low or no ash(always striving for less)<br /><br />There are oils out there that claim to do both. But do they do both equaly well......NO<br />A major landscaping firm used this type of oil in their trimmers and chainsaws. They kept having pre warranty failures. After a few, they were turned down(failure blaimed on oil) They took their failed units to Imperial Oil's Lab (neutral party) and had it examined. Sure as hell, oil issues (not enough ash found to substanciate adequate lube and detergent) The oil they used was all too well known. It was made for water-cooled, but boasted "one for all".<br />If you want maximum life from air-cooled small engines, use the exact oil recommended. I can't speak for other manufacturers, but it appears that briggs+stratton does tons of R+D with oils and failures. I'd trust their recommendations unquestioned.<br /><br />4-strokes:<br />Small engines(air-cooled) live in the harshest enviroment there is. Its interesting to note that the manufacturer only recommended straight weight oils in harsh applications a few years back(4-stroke). I haven't checked recently. I remember the issue of long chained molecules not giving as good a lube as short chained.(long chained being required for multi-weight)They may have over-come that with blends by now, I'm just guessing.... :)

ebbtide176

Commander

could a person ask for better info than this?!! <br />man, i'm glad y'all brought this topic up, cause i just- this past fall bought a nice used 50cc chainsaw and after my initial can/mix ran out, filled it with the mix from my o/b can! i'll b replacing that stuff this week...

D

DJ

Schematic,<br /><br />Thanks for the education.<br /><br />I too had heard that B & S does extensive studies on engine failures.<br /><br />All of you out there, besides us maintenance nuts on this board, who do you know that has ACTUALLY changed oil in their lawnmower! I've polled many acquantences/neighbors/relatives, etc. The vast majority didn't know it could be done. DUH!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good point DJohns. You hear of so many people who say their lawn mower wore out after 3 to 5 years.... I suspect lawn mower motors (like outboards) will almost last for ever if properly looked after with regular oil changes etc.<br /><br />Schematic - thanks again for this extremely useful and important information.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was given a 4 stroke lawn mower a few years back.. it wasn't working and they assumed it was just dead..<br /><br />So I took it home and pulled the head.. the valves were stuck open and had huge amounts of carbon on them.. I cleaned this all up, reassembled it and off it went, still running well to this day. (incidently I changed the oil while I was at it. :)<br /><br />It turns out that the previous owners didn't know/care that it was a 4 stroke, its been on premix for years....<br /><br />funny how some people are isn't it????<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

crab bait

Captain

D J i know J B does . heck he even does it twice... " where did awl the awl go "..

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Frank - LOL - I suppose they were pleased to get rid of their smokey old mower... Nice one ! :D <br /><br />I'm glad this thread has come back on top because I keep finding people who are using outboard TC-W3 premix in their lawn mowers, chainsaws etc etc.<br /><br />I'm sure that there are far too many 2 stroke outboard owners who are wrecking their other 2 stroke motors without realizing. I nearly did it too, but fortunately asked this board first.<br /><br />Everybody who owns a 2 stroke motor of any kind should read Schematic's posts in this thread.<br /><br />Amen.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Glad this came up top, as well, I certainly learned a few things reading it. Thanks to all that supplied information and questions.