whats up with gore-tex ?

crab bait

Captain
is it just me but everything i ever had made of this stuff really never works.. sure maybe when new, but gets alittle age on ,,, fa-get it.. what's your comments.. good stuff or expensive junk ??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: whats up with gore-tex ?

Howdy, CB,<br /><br />My Browning Kangaroo Featherweight boots get worn about 200 days a year and are nearly ten years old. They are still comfortable in cold or hot weather and they are still waterproof. I credit Gore Tex for a lot of that.<br /><br />I wonder if your expectations are realistic. Tell us more about the products you have had and what your expectations were.<br /><br />Red sky at night.. .<br />JB :)

495v

Chief Petty Officer

I have a pair of Rockport boots that are about 6 years old and I can still stand in a puddle with these things and have dry feet. I don't think I have anything else made of gor-tex so my experience is limited.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I swear by the stuff. I use it for hunting/fishing and anytime I really need to stay dry. I have boots, jackets, pants that all work great BUT I have retreated the jacket and pants yearly. The below is directly from the Gore web site and this is the stuff I use.<br /><br />ReviveX® Water and Stain Repellent - GORE® shell fabrics are treated by Gore with an active durable water repellent (DWR) fluoropolymer. Eventually the DWR can be worn off by normal use. Now, it's possible to totally restore a GORE® garment's durable water repellency by using ReviveX® water and stain repellent. The special ReviveX® formulation and process not only coats areas of the fabric where the original DWR has worn off, it also 'mates' with the remaining DWR to totally restore water and stain repellency. Anyone can properly maintain the DWR on a GORE product - for more information or to order call 800-455-4184. Order online<br /><br />I just followed the directions... works fine.<br /><br />Still waiting for all the ice to clear from the lake :cool: <br /><br />Bob

crab bait

Captain

so far i guess it's just me .. yea,, those kangaroo boots are the poop !! i read about them ...gore-tex is actually redundant.. ROO LEATHER is waterproof in it's own right.. no doubt they will be my next pair of boots.. yea , i had rockport hand sewns leaked badly .. i guess since not a molded sole ,, water got down under 'tween sole an foot bed an came up thru.. had gloves ,, leaked ..... H & H no insululate rain coat ... after 3 years an really not much wear ( see it's purple ) the "" BARNEY "" coat now leaks.. i don't know,,, i guess it's me..

D

DJ

Bob VT,<br /><br />Great information. Doesn't Gore Tex actually tend to "wick" moisture away? I really didn't think GT was so much a water repellent as much as something that kept you warm when you did get wet. Kind of like wool.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

What I have been led to understand is that the fibers in goretex are too tight to allow water in but will allow vapor out. This is "supposed" to prevent moisture from accumulating inside as it does in rubber rain gear.<br /><br />Bob